Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

well, to fair. the bottom line is its a lousy teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 06:53 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then you need to think more carefully how you compose your posts.
Maybe you need to not assume the worst.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Does anyone represent the whole of any philosophy or religion?

The point is, his comments were insensitive. I have a pretty thick skin, so I really don't give a fiddlers hoot of what one thinks of me or says too me or of me.

However, when it comes to children, and especially seeing how toxic, even if unwittingly, fundamentalist religion, in this case Christianity, and especially when my grandson is impacted so negatively, I see red. There are no excuses for the environment that causes this... none. As mentioned, when my daughter contacted the parents involve, they handled it well, and I give them credit for that. But the issue is that there is an environment were adults teach children this garbage, and the rest of us are just suppose to sit back and accept it.

No. A thousand times NO! It is not acceptable, and no spin or excuse will ever make it so. Quit terrorizing your children about hell. Just stop.
Parents also teach their kids that certain people are inferior. You’re never going to fully stop meanness.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:05 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Really? It's up to my grandson's parents to console him? Of course they did, many times.

But the responsibility of the cause of his distress is the fundamental, magical thinking and indoctrination of a belief system of other children, who tell him stories of burning in a hell, and tell him because he doesn't believe in a god, he is doomed. The abuse is the indoctrination of these children by religion. Have all the freedom of religion you want, but the moment your religion impacts me or others, in this case my grandson, your freedom of religion has gone too far, is out of bounds, and needs to be curtailed.

Full stop. I don't care if your a Muslim, Christian or jungle medicine shaman. When your beliefs cause others stress, you are the responsible one, no one else.
Another child causing your child (or grandchild) stress is different than a criminal act of abuse. I’m sure there are many emotional hurts a child will suffer - but that’s the role of the parents (and grandparents) to guide, teach, and console. It’s not ‘my’ freedom of religion, it’s the law. I am not a Christian.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do you think that law should be changed? I'm not talking about getting into people's personal business and telling them what to believe. I'm talking about a church telling people that God wants them to deny medical treatment or they will be punished. Shouldn't that church be open to action by the injured parties? I'm talking about a church telling people that God will send them to hell if they don't buy their product. Shouldn't there be a remedy for people injured by that? If these holymen really believe they have Gods blessing then God will provide and they should keep preaching the same message. If they tailor their message to be more profitable then everyone wins anyway.
If a child is being injured, neglected, physically or emotionally abused, of course there should be intervention. There’s a big difference between child abuse, though, and another child telling OPs grandson something that made him cry or be fearful.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-18-2019 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 07:12 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If a child is being injured, neglected, physically or emotionally abused, of course there should be intervention. There’s a big difference between child abuse, though, and another child telling OPs grandson something that made him cry or fearful.
I was more talking about the 2 boys being subjected to this that they feel the need to warn their friend. If they grow up and can show damages I think the Church should be held liable financially.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:

But the responsibility of the cause of his distress is the fundamental, magical thinking and indoctrination of a belief system of other children, who tell him stories of burning in a hell, and tell him because he doesn't believe in a god, he is doomed. The abuse is the indoctrination of these children by religion.
If your child is so frightened by what this other child tells him, perhaps it’s time to remove said child as a friend? Not every kid is a positive influence; and if your grandchild is that terrified, some sort of action should be taken.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:29 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Parents also teach their kids that certain people are inferior. You’re never going to fully stop meanness.
Can just imagine what you taught your kid. Hope to god you didn’t breed.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I really don't have an answer. I mean if there is one area I am stumped in its this one.

we need accountability. Its human. how do we get it?
There is accountability for criminal abuse and neglect, Arach. But we also have freedom of religion.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:36 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Can just imagine what you taught your kid. Hope to god you didn’t breed.
Well, that was rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality