Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 03:24 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
[b]Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with Christians watching mainstream movies. If movies are sinful then you have to ban literature, music and works of art. Movies have great value in preserving our history and giving us empathy, compassion and understanding for each other by allowing the viewer to mentally walk in other person's shoes. Even a movie like Shawshank Redemption can speak to people on such a spiritual level that church groups studies have been made of that film. A film with violence and language.
[/B

I agree. Movies can have a message that speaks to anyone. They can also be pure entertainment. They can be good, bad. Movies themselves are not the problem.

L8Gr8Apost8 I remember that story from when you first related it. It reminded me of those little acts of rebellion that protect people's sanity when they are stuck in an authoritarian environment. Enjoy your celebration with the drama onscreen instead of in your living room.

THAT was the Problem...an authoritarian religion that wanted to ban EVERYTHING across the board that was associated in any way with entertainment not underwritten by the church. And that gullible, desperate people. like my mom, would fall for it, while many of us opposed it. We who opposed it were deemed"rebellious" while those who followed blindly were considered "good".
Yeah I don't agree with that approach to Christianity. God is not a cruel overlord who wants to take away all the fun and demand that everything be 100% Christian focused. You might as well say a game of monopoly is evil because it doesn't glorify God.

One website I think it is pretty ridiculous is christian answers movie reviews. They rate like 90% of all movies as offensive yet give high praise to extremely mediocre ones like God's Not Dead. First Man is an offensive movie to them. lol

https://christiananswers.net/spotlight/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yeah I don't agree with that approach to Christianity. God is not a cruel overlord who wants to take away all the fun and demand that everything be 100% Christian focused. You might as well say a game of monopoly is evil because it doesn't glorify God.

One website I think it is pretty ridiculous is christian answers movie reviews. They rate like 90% of all movies as offensive yet give high praise to extremely mediocre ones like God's Not Dead. First Man is an offensive movie to them. lol

https://christiananswers.net/spotlight/
That was the Approach to Christianity and Life as practiced by the Small town Baptist church in Texas to which I am speaking. Not to the religion across the board. There was a very nice and loving Presbyterian congregation across town that we would visit on Christmas Eve. My parents later caught Hail from some of the members of our church for taking us there.

We actually had a Sunday school teacher tell us that if any music was not about Jesus and did not glorify God then we should not be listening to it. It is against that unhealthy thinking to which I oppose and rebel to this day. And there are some things against which humanity should rebel. Jesus himself knew that.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:05 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
That was the Approach to Christianity and Life as practiced by the Small town Baptist church in Texas to which I am speaking. Not to the religion across the board. There was a very nice and loving Presbyterian congregation across town that we would visit on Christmas Eve. My parents later caught Hail from some of the members of our church for taking us there.

We actually had a Sunday school teacher tell us that if any music was not about Jesus and did not glorify God then we should not be listening to it. It is against that unhealthy thinking to which I oppose and rebel to this day. And there are some things against which humanity should rebel. Jesus himself knew that.
Pentecostals are like that regarding music...Also, they think that if anyone takes martial arts classes that they will end up praying to Buddha...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality