Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
But it seems you're still trying to get people to taste your pizza like it's the best and only way to feel good.
No, I'm not. I'm saying don't tell me I'm not experiencing what I am.

I don't care who tastes my pizza, although I do agree with the OP that I'm charged with inviting others to and describing how it affects me.

I'm not going to get up and put it down your throat, at all. Literally, OR figuratively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 12:44 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, they could do that. And could be right.

But they would be wrong in saying no, that Pizza doesn't exist and it's not making you feel great.
That's their opinion. You don't have to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sounds like you're into magic mushrooms.
There has been some evidence that hallucinogens can help with depression.* I suspect it is the same way with faith based claims. A belief that all is under control is probably very calming. Anything that gives a person a sense of connectivity is likely to help. Some people's minds just probably produce more of it so they don't have as hard of a time connecting. Atheists have ways of connecting too. For me it's music, nature, and compassionate people.

*https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...7858461730636X

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

I don't care who tastes my pizza, although I do agree with the OP that I'm charged with inviting others to and describing how it affects me.

I'm not going to get up and put it down your throat, at all. Literally, OR figuratively.
Clara, no. Other than on this type of discussion board, you have NO MORAL RIGHT to tell me what your personal religious beliefs are and why you feel all warm and fuzzy. And I doubt very much if a Muslim knocked on your door and wanted to come in and tell you why you should convert to Islam that you'd welcome him in with open arms.

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:

What you don't seem to accept is that most of us have had that pizza - were born into a dedicated pizza-eating family.

And at some point found it no longer agreed with us. So, we expanded our palates and found other tasty foods.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:45 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
Yeah, because something in that pizza just ain't sitting right.
I've been burping up that sauce for 30 years after my last slice.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:47 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but saying that you're charged with inviting others, seems like another way of saying you're trying to get people to taste that pizza.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but saying that you're charged with inviting others, seems like another way of saying you're trying to get people to taste that pizza.
Hmmm. I think there's a fine line.

I am charged, as a Christian, with telling you about it and offering it to you to taste.

I am not responsible for succeeding with my invitation, and getting you to follow through and taste it, much less like it.

It is a fine line, though.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
Yes, they could do that. And could be right.

But they would be wrong in saying no, that Pizza doesn't exist and it's not making you feel great.
You don't get to decide what other people think of your pizza.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:54 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
Hmmm. I think there's a fine line.

I am charged, as a Christian, with telling you about it and offering it to you to taste.

I am not responsible for succeeding with my invitation, and getting you to follow through and taste it, much less like it.

It is a fine line, though.
Okay, fair enough. Now, I existed on a steady diet of that pizza for decades and I do feel compelled to tell people about the dangers of such a diet. I think there's some good stuff in that pizza, but some incredibly harmful stuff, too. So, I'm not telling you you aren't experiencing some benefits. But I hope you know about the dangerous side effects.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Okay, fair enough. Now, I existed on a steady diet of that pizza for decades and I do feel compelled to tell people about the dangers of such a diet. I think there's some good stuff in that pizza, but some incredibly harmful stuff, too. So, I'm not telling you you aren't experiencing some benefits. But I hope you know about the dangerous side effects.
I think that's completely fair. It's your experience, your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality