Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 12:25 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What I find both sad and hillarious at the same time - is that even possible? - is listening to Christians attempting to prove their FAITH with both junk science and non-credible evidence.

I miss the "good ol' days" when religion really WAS about faith - which meant that trying to prove God with lousy science was a waste of time. You're just supposed to believe, and that's all that mattered.

Now you have small armies of people trying to prove their faith with empiricism - which is just - I dunno - silly? I mean, how can it be a faith and a science at the same time? If these two words have a diametric opposite, then faith and science are the answer.

It's like something you would see on an analogy test:

Faith is to science as desert is to ocean ... or something like that.

Believers will continously try to tell science that god and faith cannot be tested for or explained using the scientific method and therefore has no business trying to answer theological or metaphysical questions. But, in the same way believers frequently invade the Atheist and Agnostics forum, they will invade science and try to prove their faith by ... what now? Wait ... wait ... you guessed it. They try to prove it with science.

They think that when believers try to use science to prove faith, somehow it's completely different than when science does it.

I know, but the shocking fact is that about half the people in the US buy into YE evolution -denying Creationism. That is what came from atheists being silent and not replying to these claims. It was behind the calls for Bill Nye not to debate with Ken Ham. But pushing back is necessary to roll this nationwide ignorance back. It won't be done by distaining to refute their nonsense.

However, Mensa Hath Spoken. I'll have to hope that we've now done enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 01:27 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
[COLOR=RedYou should not expect that I can read everything as it is posted. After a dozen science posts, it was time to report something for dragging the thread off topic, which is:

When will people realize ya can't rut an Infinite Spirit under a microscope to prove it exists?

Obviously, 60 posts about science have nothing to do with an Infinite Spirit.
But obviously a microscope does have everything to do with subjecting a topic to science.
Quote:
I've been watching for years. I'm certain that Transponder understand your posts quite well, as do most other members. Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.
Except I was responding to Harry. I agree Transponder has shown SOME understanding, but he misunderstands significant portions, as do most other members.
Quote:
I certainly hope so. Anyone that wants to discuss science if free to go to the Science forum and post there. In the future, please report posts that veer into the realm of science before a dozen posts drag a thread hopelessly off topic.
Regrettably, the people we want to discuss with do not want to go to the science forum and God is a proscribed topic there, so Catch 22.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But obviously a microscope does have everything to do with subjecting a topic to science.
Except I was responding to Harry. I agree Transponder has shown SOME understanding, but he misunderstands significant portions, as do most other members. Regrettably, the people we want to discuss with do not want to go to the science forum and God is a proscribed topic there, so Catch 22.
get over it mystic. If yore not anti-religious and follow its dogma to indoctrinate people against anything that theist may use ... its you that has the problem.

hence they ban the observations that line up what we know to what we believe.

although we will lose here, (and america will fall) remember, OITR (Out In The Real world) believers in something will always out number those that have to deny everything out of a fear of religion. people that believe god should never be use to oppress and harm others will always out number those that feel "my-god-only" should be imposed on people. thats why both groups use force and tactics like we saw here.

most people can separate the notion of "I love god but i don't have to love religion." whatever god may mean tothat person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality