Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,750,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nothing in that thread claimed that Nones outnumber Christians. The poll found that Nones now slightly outnumber evangelicals, but you seem to have forgotten that the poll separates Catholics, Mainstream protestants, and evangelicals. None means those who claim to be part of no religion, which includes unaffiliated Christians and deists. Did you even read that thread?
Then it was your side who distorted the facts by giving the impression that people are turning to atheism in droves. Suggesting that the Christianity is in its dying gasp because of the internet is a complete lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 03:11 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,651,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Then it was your side who distorted the facts by giving the impression that people are turning to atheism in droves. Suggesting that the Christianity is in its dying gasp because of the internet is a complete lie.
Your reading comprehension is so, so, unbelievably bad.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 PM

16,711 posts, read 15,716,670 times
Quote:
I'm not on a side, unless it's on the side of truth. The only person that has said anything about Christianity being in its dying gasp is you.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:21 PM

50,933 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
Then it's hypocritical for atheists and skeptics to get in Christians business and impose their views on us.
And it's hypocritical for christians and believers to get into atheist's business and impose their view on us.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
You mean "Christians" who spit on the Bible and told me to go burn in hell? Yeah, I don't put much weight in their opinions. I asked you a direct question and you couldn't handle answering it. Just like almost no one here would dare debate me one on one in private message.
This is a PUBLIC forum. While I might respond to someone once or twice with a private message, that's not really what this forum is about.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:23 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,750,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are two issues about religious statues in parks.

Do you let all groups have a statue? Funny how that rarely seems to happen.

Do taxpayers help pay for the statue and upkeep?
I'm not aware of any case the local government said you could only have Christian symbols. These are privately funded memorials yet atheists have nothing better to do than seek to tear them down.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Looks at forum and notices threads are overwhelmingly anti-Christian. Never Islam. Never Hinduism.

Looks at the skeptics Bible, a massive piece of work that tears apart the Bible, verse by verse. Only Christianity.

Looks at numerous religious forums and talk show and it is always a discussion against Christianity.

But yea, ok, you are not singling us out. lol
Are ye daft? How many Hindus and Muslims are posting here to debate with??????????????

Old 04-23-2019, 03:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,608,849 times
Quote:
nones would be people that believe in something, they just dump the biblegod thingie. or at least some of the magical teaching. Like died and rise for our sins.

Like a persons gives up his childish dream when the veil is removed.

the nones will always out number fundy think types, as in we will have nones of it.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:15 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,330,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nobody is FORCED to do anything. Spirituality isn't science.

If you don't like what Christians say, don't listen.

I'm agnostic myself, but if people want to adhere to one faith or the other? I don't care.
Sure ... and the average German citizen didn't care when the Nazis deported the Jews to camps, either.

Yes, I know that's a melodramatic example - but I used a melodramatic example on purpose.

Because it's the "I don't care" attitude that has always allowed a small minority to dominate the majority. Hey, if it doesn't affect me directly, then who cares, right? So what if the Christian Right wants to oppress and persecute gays - I'm not gay, so who cares? I'll never get an abortion, so who cares if religion manages to criminalize it - so that we have poor mothers being forced to give birth while the well-to-do mothers just hop on a plane and fly to a country where abortion is legal. So what if they're committing a de facto genocide by telling Aids-ridden Africa that condoms are a sin ... not my problem, right? Who really cares if the Supreme Court is being stacked with ultra-conservative religious and dominionist judges who refuse to defend the Constitution and therefore use taxpayer money to support, endorse, promote, and empower extreme right-wing religious views?

No, no, I'm not saying you have to go out and protest or become an activist. But one of the worst plagues ruining this country is apathy - or ambivalence at best. We've always been taught that a moderate, fence-sitting position is the best one, the kind of opinion where you don't really have to defend your stance nor do you really anger anyone. In other words, it's safe.

I'm like you in the sense that - by and large - I don't care what faith someone happens to be. But not all faiths and beliefs are created equal. To simply shrug my shoulders apathetically and assume that all beliefs *are* equal is as deluded as many of the religious beliefs themselves.

If someone wants to read their Bible, go to church, pray, and say grace before dinner - what do I care? But when those same people continuously vote for right-wing extremists, when they demand that their beliefs be instituted as civil law, when they stand up there and preach violence and hatred and bigotry against groups they don't like, when their goal is to ban and censor and limit choices and freedoms, when they actively try to drag our scientific knowledge and advancement back 1000 years, when they insist a bunch of magical fables are Truth whilst saying science is one big lie or hoax or conspiracy, when they blow up abortion clinics, when they picket and demonstrate in front of other people's churches and religious services (no, I'm not referring to Westboro Baptist Church), when they push the idea that women are inferior to men - all of that and more.

That's when I start to care - and all of those things have been happening for at least a decade now. What's worse is that this religious fanaticism has caused a general distrust of science so that now nothing they say is believed and instead is chucked out the window in favor of superstition, fear, Bible worship, and conspiracy theories.

When I noticed the sudden resurgence of people who actually believe the world is flat - I gave up. You know, maybe you're right after all. Maybe it just isn't worth caring about. At least in this country. Flat earthers. I mean ... seriously. When people are stupid enough to believe something like that, there's pretty much nothing - and I do mean *nothing* - too stupid for people not to believe with religious conviction.

And, with the way things have been going, the dumber it is, the more likely it will be believed. Namely because we as a society refuse to teach our children how to think - because we'd rather teach them *what* to think. In order to do that, though, you have to keep them dumb. It's like building a ship full of holes. It's not just radical religious ideas slipping through - it's also flat earth conspiracies, geocentrism, anti-vaccination conspiracies, Sandy Hook was a false flag operation so the government can take all of our guns conspiracies - there are literally hundreds of them going all the way back to Pearl Harbor. Where once this kind of garbage was confined to whack-a-doodle fringe groups, these harebrained ideas are finding there way into mainstream knowledge.

I dunno - should we care? Or should we just let the religious extremists have their way? And we can rebuild our society around fear, ignorance, superstition, xenophobia, and crackpot conspiracies.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:20 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,611,573 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Your reading comprehension is so, so, unbelievably bad.
And he votes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality