Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:12 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Not me bro. Never did have a lot of time for monuments erected to wilful ignorance and superstition. If the Church had spent as much on the poor as they do on places like that, it would be a much better world.
True, though the poor are not served by its burning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
it doesn't matter that the engineering that went into that helped us all to raf.

all that matters is that we get our pound, our full pound, of flesh.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
True, though the poor are not served by its burning.
Of course not but what I'm saying is that now it has been destroyed, it's gone, and instead of spending billions of euros on rebuilding a monument to bronze-age superstition, something more worthwhile could be done with the money and the site - like building a hospital that would benefit ALL Parisians.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Of course not but what I'm saying is that now it has been destroyed, it's gone, and instead of spending billions of euros on rebuilding a monument to bronze-age superstition, something more worthwhile could be done with the money and the site - like building a hospital that would benefit ALL Parisians.
Yes, agreed.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:25 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Terrible news.
Hopefully most of the historical items have been saved, including Jesus Christ's Crown of Thorns.
France will rebuild this great church, no doubt about that.
I asked this question upthread, but no one responded.

I was in Paris three years ago. Didn't go inside Notre Dame because the line was so long, but I did go to the Sainte-Chapelle, which is amazing because of its stained-glass windows.

Now Saint Chapelle was said to have been built specifically to house the "Crown of Thorns", which was supposedly brought back from the Holy Land at that time (13th Century).

So, I was wondering what it was doing in Notre Dame. No on answered, so I looked it up. It's only displayed at Sainte-Chapelle on specific days and stored at Notre Dame the rest of the time.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:28 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
That's a thing? Mkay.
Oh yeah. There was a huge trade in religious relics in the Middle Ages. Splinters of the True Cross, vials containing the breast milk of The Blessed Mother, and even Jesus's foreskin, the latter of which according to this article there were at least eighteen.

Five Strange Relics of Christianity - Weird Worm

If your church or cathedral had a relic like this or even one of a saint, that meant pilgrimages to your town and a boost to the church's coffers as well as the local economy.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:42 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
A world heritage site is not something to destroy in order to build a hospital that could be built anywhere. There are many things that are more important than miney, two of them being world heritage sites and world important natural sites. We are too quick to knock down the past to construct some ugly monstrosity that will last maybe decades. This fire, the destruction of the Buddha in Afghanistan, the destruction of the coral reefs are all very sad.

To bring up plowing down this very old and historical building while the pain of its admirers is cold and totally lacks emphathy for your fellow humans. I have never had the opportunity to see Notre Dame however if we do ever visit Paris it was on our list of must see places. I don't turn hospitals.

It's not about how we think about religion, especially in modern times, but what this building meant to the people of the time it was built and the 8 centuries while it stood. Be a bit more respectful to history, architecture and people.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:43 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh yeah. There was a huge trade in religious relics in the Middle Ages. Splinters of the True Cross, vials containing the breast milk of The Blessed Mother, and even Jesus's foreskin, the latter of which according to this article there were at least eighteen.

If your church or cathedral had a relic like this or even one of a saint, that meant pilgrimages to your town and a boost to the church's coffers as well as the local economy.
Yes...and now people want to spend millions of euros to rebuild the place so that the fraud can continue.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

And there are people who really believe these relics are the real deal?

Old 04-16-2019, 10:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
And there are people who really believe these relics are the real deal?
As attributed to P. T. Barnum,"There's a sucker born every minute"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality