Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 12:44 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We believe that, if the Religous control movement gets their way, there won't be Labs or scientific Papers. The bible will be the only science book that is needed.
That is why the pressure to debunk the Claims of Christianity has to be kept up and why a base of popular support for a society politics and education Not controlled by religion is needed. That's why we do what we do - in our own small way.
And those who oppose us are working against science and for Religious control, even if they didn't intend to.
As usual, you misstate and overstate the problem, Arq. It is quite possible to completely support science, belief in God, and still oppose Religious control of society. Ironically, you and your buddies efforts have actually restricted achieving that melding of science with a belief in God here in the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 12:56 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As usual, you misstate and overstate the problem, Arq. It is quite possible to completely support science, belief in God, and still oppose Religious control of society. Ironically, you and your buddies efforts have actually restricted achieving that melding of science with a belief in God here in the forum.
As usual, you miss the point, Old mate. That would be ok or at least have some mileage - if we were just talking about everyday religion. But what we have here - and you really ought to be aware of this, see the danger and support us rather them try to slap me down - is Science -skeptic, Genesis -literalist Christian Fundamentalism that is determined to make Bible -literalism the supreme authority in the US - Law, Politics and education, and in time, science.

That is their aim and objective, and they are very determined, well funded and well -connected. Indeed they got an oaf and clown into the White House because he was useful to them. I heard some rumbles that (despite his antics) he is still supported heavily because he is 'sound on the Bible'. And his underwriting of 'Project Blitz' confirms that.

Wake up, Mystic mate, and smell the coffee.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:03 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As said before, leave out the reference to god and take it to the science board just based on your quasi scientific ideas an see how it floats.Who knows! Maybe you'll find much more acceptance there

Old 05-24-2019, 03:17 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And it was amazing how Jesus looked like Jeffrey Hunter!
Come to think of it...

Old 05-24-2019, 05:25 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
As said before, leave out the reference to god and take it to the science board just based on your quasi scientific ideas an see how it floats.Who knows! Maybe you'll find much more acceptance there
you have point there. people here base their reality on a statement of belief about god and not observations.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:24 PM

20,006 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Why do SOME of the nonbelievers here act in a similar manner at times? I'm really interested if you'll care to share. I mean, I understand the difference in beliefs, the difference in opinions, etc...but, why the hostility? The mocking? The disrespect?
If you are a conservative / evangelical Christian then it's very, VERY important to you, to hold the correct beliefs / doctrines / practices. To be wrong is ultimately to risk god's displeasure or perhaps even eternal perdition. It is also to question your very identity in which you have a huge and probably lifelong investment. This can make mere disagreement an existential threat.

In my experience many such Christians act as if mere disagreement is personal annihilation. I've seen such people claim that the person disagreeing with them is mean / nasty / disrespectful, hateful, etc. When in fact what actually happened is some personal taboo against doubting or questioning or being less than impressed with some holy idea of theirs, was violated. In nearly every case online where someone has complained of someone "attacking them" there is no ad hominem going on at all. The beliefs are being critiqued, the person is not being "attacked".

This is why Christian spokespersons can say, with a straight face, in a country where Christianity is the majority religion and where exactly zero people are thrown in jail for worshipping their deity of choice, that increasingly Christians are being "persecuted" for their faith.

This is why the simple fact that a lot of people are indifferent to religion gets an outsized emotional reaction from believers. And dog help the unbeliever who expresses disbelief in a forthright manner. That's blasphemy!

Now of course unbelievers DO have asshats amongst them, just like Christians do. The young hotheads in particular can be overly edgy and "all elbows" and don't do enough listening. But on balance, in my experience and observation, believers with complaints of being aggrieved are just not used to ordinary give and take.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:50 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If you are a conservative / evangelical Christian then it's very, VERY important to you, to hold the correct beliefs / doctrines / practices. To be wrong is ultimately to risk god's displeasure or perhaps even eternal perdition. It is also to question your very identity in which you have a huge and probably lifelong investment. This can make mere disagreement an existential threat.

In my experience many such Christians act as if mere disagreement is personal annihilation. I've seen such people claim that the person disagreeing with them is mean / nasty / disrespectful, hateful, etc. When in fact what actually happened is some personal taboo against doubting or questioning or being less than impressed with some holy idea of theirs, was violated. In nearly every case online where someone has complained of someone "attacking them" there is no ad hominem going on at all. The beliefs are being critiqued, the person is not being "attacked".

This is why Christian spokespersons can say, with a straight face, in a country where Christianity is the majority religion and where exactly zero people are thrown in jail for worshipping their deity of choice, that increasingly Christians are being "persecuted" for their faith.

This is why the simple fact that a lot of people are indifferent to religion gets an outsized emotional reaction from believers. And dog help the unbeliever who expresses disbelief in a forthright manner. That's blasphemy!

Now of course unbelievers DO have asshats amongst them, just like Christians do. The young hotheads in particular can be overly edgy and "all elbows" and don't do enough listening. But on balance, in my experience and observation, believers with complaints of being aggrieved are just not used to ordinary give and take.
also, we have in our atheist ranks obscurest.

atheist, like you, that feel we need to supress any science that theist can use to make atheism harder to sell.

and when confronted about the validity of that approach they (you) hide behind "but I have my reasons for that belief".

and when seriously challenged about the causes for those reasons and how those reason are not that valid, you have to obscure mode again.

why is that?

lmao, oh yeah, I am ignored ... bad for business. The most valid claims are often bad news for people pushing a statement of belief as more real than real.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 PM
nng

695 posts, read 289,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Ok, so...over in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, on March 10th, I posted a thread entitled Christians vs. Atheists.

In that post, I berated "Christians" for their attitude and interaction with those that either believe differently than they do or simply don't believe at all. I mentioned the "Holier than Thou" mindset that seems to, often, be present in their interactions with unbelievers. One can make a "strong post" so to speak, but it can still be done with a good measure of basic respect.

As a Christian...I stand by that post. Truly I say...Christians can be...the worst enemy of Christianity.

Now, I have a question if I may?

Why do SOME of the nonbelievers here act in a similar manner at times? I'm really interested if you'll care to share. I mean, I understand the difference in beliefs, the difference in opinions, etc...but, why the hostility? The mocking? The disrespect?

I could list some of my guesses that might contribute to this...but, I'd just rather hear from your viewpoint?
I have read posts by Christians telling skeptics and atheists that they will be judged one day for not believing in Jesus and that they (unbelievers) have it coming to them. Almost in a threatening kind of way. I just think it can get heated in these forums sometimes, I don't mean to insult or offend people but I believe what I believe. It's just the way it is.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:28 AM
nng

695 posts, read 289,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

This is such an eloquent, smart post. I think you understand the psychology of believers very well. Some believers who have their religion or beliefs questioned lash out and get very angry, and I have always wondered why. Awesome post! now sometimes I get overly passionate and hotheaded on the topic of religion, because I strongly feel that religion is detrimental for humans and society, but I honestly don't mean to hurt or offend anyone. It's just my opinion.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:39 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
This is such an eloquent, smart post. I think you understand the psychology of believers very well. Some believers who have their religion or beliefs questioned lash out and get very angry, and I have always wondered why. Awesome post! now sometimes I get overly passionate and hotheaded on the topic of religion, because I strongly feel that religion is detrimental for humans and society, but I honestly don't mean to hurt or offend anyone. It's just my opinion.
Some adults who have their religion or beliefs questioned lash out and get very angry, and I have always wondered why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality