Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:48 PM

19,122 posts, read 27,731,555 times

Advertisements

Well, OP, you likely want to say - what FAMILY was one born in. Sure, there is environment factor but, family inclines one from the very first stages of consciousness. One may live dead in the center of Islam and grow as a Christian in Christian family.
Though my son became a believer in his late 20s coming out of a purely non orthodox believers family. As in - I am more of spiritualist, esoterist, and my wife goes to church once in severla years blue moon. It simply hit him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:38 PM

18,520 posts, read 9,203,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
It seems that religion is totally dependant on where one was born, and grew up. Based on this observation I find it hard to believe that I'm somehow "special" and born into the "right" religion. It seems almost arrogant, and unfair to people who haven't been exposed to religion to be in the wrong.
Oh ye of little faith.

Of course you were born into the One True Religion. None of the people in those other religions matter. They are Unbelievers and deserve to be punished...in this life and for eternity.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM

175 posts, read 75,967 times
I consider it one of the great blessings of my life that my parents made no effort whatsoever to indoctrinate me into any religion. I have no idea what they believed, and they certainly didn't care if I became an atheist, a Buddhist monk, a Christian televangelist or a Scientologist. I went through my Buddhist phase before they died, and they just chuckled.

Certainly it is very difficult to break away from the predominant religion in one's culture. If one is indoctrinated from an early age, it can be almost impossible. For most people, religion is cultural. They don't really care if it's true. They have no incentive to break away. This was Kierkegaard's point about the Denmark of his day, where Lutheranism was the official state religion. Is it even possible, he asked, to become a Christian in a "Christian" land, where one's "Christianity" is a birthright and taken for granted?

For those who take religion seriously, the issue is Truth. The overarching question of life is, "Which religion, if any, is True?" For those who recognize this - and they cut across all cultures and religions - their religion is most definitely not determined by where they were born. As a Christian, I believe that God works in all cultures and can and does call those with ears to hear. Conversely, many cultural "Christians" will be those to whom Jesus says "I never knew you."

Old 06-25-2019, 02:19 PM

9,699 posts, read 10,053,685 times
Through the religion of Jesus Christ make a promise that God will help believers get their family members saved to Christ as to make a claim all family member for God , and God will make a plan for each person in the family to be saved ......... Then Jesus also made a promise to reject religions that people were born into so they can convert to Christianity , as Jesus said reject your brother or sister or mother who is not of Christ and follow Jesus from Luke 14:26.......

Old 06-25-2019, 02:44 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,616,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Through the religion of Jesus Christ make a promise that God will help believers get their family members saved to Christ as to make a claim all family member for God , and God will make a plan for each person in the family to be saved ......... Then Jesus also made a promise to reject religions that people were born into so they can convert to Christianity , as Jesus said reject your brother or sister or mother who is not of Christ and follow Jesus from Luke 14:26.......
That paragraph makes so many circles that I am falling off my chair from being dizzy

Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,872,542 times
Quote:
It seems that religion is totally dependant on where one was born, and grew up. Based on this observation I find it hard to believe that I'm somehow "special" and born into the "right" religion. It seems almost arrogant, and unfair to people who haven't been exposed to religion to be in the wrong.
As someone who has changed his religion, married a woman who has changed her religion, and know hundreds of other people who have also changed their religions, I'd say that your premise is flawed.

While the dominate religion in area does have a large influence on which religion a person born in that area follows, it isn't the only one.

Also, why would you assume that there is somehow a "right" religion?

Old 06-25-2019, 04:41 PM

51,032 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post

For those who take religion seriously, the issue is Truth. The overarching question of life is, "Which religion, if any, is True?" For those who recognize this - and they cut across all cultures and religions - their religion is most definitely not determined by where they were born. As a Christian, I believe that God works in all cultures and can and does call those with ears to hear. Conversely, many cultural "Christians" will be those to whom Jesus says "I never knew you."
Ah yes -- the you're not really in the club form of christianity.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:55 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,072,601 times
Quote:
No. It really isn't. I was born into a Catholic family but am now Baptist. I have other friends that were born into other denominations but have converted.

I know Christians that were born in India, a very Hindu and Islamic country, but are now Christian.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:15 PM

51,032 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. It really isn't. I was born into a Catholic family but am now Baptist. I have other friends that were born into other denominations but have converted.

I know Christians that were born in India, a very Hindu and Islamic country, but are now Christian.
First of all, I would not consider people who converted WITHIN christianity as what we're talking about here. Catholics and Baptists are all christians. Those are different sects within christianity.

Nobody is denying that there are a few people -- like me -- who change religions or become atheistic. But they/we are the distinct overwhelming minority.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,630,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
I consider it one of the great blessings of my life that my parents made no effort whatsoever to indoctrinate me into any religion. I have no idea what they believed, and they certainly didn't care if I became an atheist, a Buddhist monk, a Christian televangelist or a Scientologist. I went through my Buddhist phase before they died, and they just chuckled.

Certainly it is very difficult to break away from the predominant religion in one's culture. If one is indoctrinated from an early age, it can be almost impossible. For most people, religion is cultural. They don't really care if it's true. They have no incentive to break away. This was Kierkegaard's point about the Denmark of his day, where Lutheranism was the official state religion. Is it even possible, he asked, to become a Christian in a "Christian" land, where one's "Christianity" is a birthright and taken for granted?

I see your first line as the key in many people's lives.

My parents were theist. But they did their job first. raise a person first and a religious "soldier" second.

I feel many ex-Christians can't blame the ones they love so they strike anywhere else. they don't understand that its possible their parents did the best they could and were just wrong. Its ok to think your parents are wrong. Its even ok to think some of things they did were bad and still love them.

some shallow thinkers can't understand, often deserves got nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality