Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 05:37 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm amazed that anyone responds with any degree of seriousness to anything Ozzy posts.
What do you think I (or anyone) could have said about the subject that was true?

If you can't respond then your statement is just meaningless nonsense. Which I already suspect anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 05:47 PM

317 posts, read 228,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The people are Christians. The leaders are atheists.
True scotsman fallacy

Old 07-20-2019, 08:51 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm amazed that anyone responds with any degree of seriousness to anything Ozzy posts.

As always, we have to assess just what good a response is doing - for the wider browsing audience, not to Ozzy so much, as he is arguing from a faith position, which means that they keep trying all kinds of ploys to score a point, and not consider any points against, just which points to drop (and try later against someone else )it's the old Faith-based principle of preach, but not be preached to.

Those posters who talk some palpable nonsense that we can disregard anyone who takes their posts seriously can simply be left alone, which isn't the same as 'this thread isn't one for me'. if there's a point and a value in responding, I feel i must respond. Dignified silence is a failure to respond.

That's how i see it, anyway.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
The only threat is that of common people rising up and threatening the elite. That's why Christianity has always been a threat, such as when the US gained independence from England (as an example). It was based on religious freedom and the US was founded upon Christianity.
And if Great Britain had given the colonies representation in the House of Commons there would not have been a War of Independence. No taxation without representation not give us religious frredoms.

Much of your constitution owes much to the Iroquois Confederacy. Which parts of your Constitution is based on Christainity?

Old 07-20-2019, 10:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Only a lunatic would try to argue with hypothetical situations that everyone knows could never have happened.

Yet it seems like skeptics are always dreaming up hypothetical questions that contradict history. Alternate histories and realities. It's really not that intelligent, you know, to just pull stuff out of the air when backed into a corner by their own denials. But I don't think they realize just how stupid they look.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
What do you think I (or anyone) could have said about the subject that was true?

If you can't respond then your statement is just meaningless nonsense. Which I already suspect anyway.
You could have said that you didn't know anything about it other than you had Faith in it, and that there was no shred of a valid reason why we should believe it. Then you would have said something that was true and honest for the first time in a long string of posts.

Quote:
Only a lunatic would try to argue with hypothetical situations that everyone knows could never have happened.

Yet it seems like skeptics are always dreaming up hypothetical questions that contradict history. Alternate histories and realities. It's really not that intelligent, you know, to just pull stuff out of the air when backed into a corner by their own denials. But I don't think they realize just how stupid they look.
Ozzy, you can't possibly imagine how hilarious it is when you accuse the Others of contradicting history, denying the evidence (as i recall the Founding fathers were very much aware of the ideals of the Iriquois confederacy), and going into denial and pulling stuff out of the air, or just denunciations, when backed into a corner. You have been looking very stupid over a long series of posts.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-21-2019 at 04:04 AM..

Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
The people are Christians. The leaders are atheists.
Please be specific. List names and evidence. I can't think of a single President, Senator, Congressman, or Supreme Court Justice that said he/she was an atheist. Tell us who they are. You said it. Back up what you said.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:32 AM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Please be specific. List names and evidence. I can't think of a single President, Senator, Congressman, or Supreme Court Justice that said he/she was an atheist. Tell us who they are. You said it. Back up what you said.
Mensaguy, what you're forgetting is that Ozzy is the one who decides who the real christians are. I point it out every time he does it, and that means I've pointed it out many times.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The First Amendment protects religious freedom and speech that is NON-VIOLENT. You cannot protest fascism using the methods of fascism.
True, and why I also wrote, "Either way we have laws that tend to address this sort of thing regardless what sort of extremism someone or some group promotes."

Nuff said?

Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Perhaps I should have put a period after my sentence, instead of a question mark.

But what you just wrote is similar (I think) to what you said above.

Christians, in general, and on this site are -- in my view -- focusing on the wrong thing most of the time.

They tend to focus on what they see are the "facts" of the bible. "Facts", which for the most part, can NEVER be proven. As we saw last week, another poster found that a particular village had been proven to exist, and then extrapolated that that proved the bible to be true and valid as a source of history. Well, no. Simply no.

Let's take the Sermon On The Mount. They can never prove where it occurred...or even if it occurred. They can never prove a man named Jesus said those words. Then never prove when it was said. Never prove it. Not ever. Never. Yet, that's what they want to do battle about.

What I rarely hear them discuss are the principles in the Sermon On The Mount. And that's what's really important -- the principles. Are they valid in today's world? If yes, how do we incorporate them into our lives. If they are no longer valid in today's world...that's okay too...discuss alternative principles.

If they would simply base their faith on the validity of principles, half the arguments about their religion would disappear.
Would be worthwhile to test your theory, because I think you've got something there, but of course religion also involves a lot of the "ends justify the means" sort of approach, and that's part of the challenge as well I think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality