Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 12:15 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times

Advertisements

I believe there are five major worldviews in existence (religion/philosophies) - CHristianity, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Atheism.

Spirituality is an individual thing, unique to every 7.5billion or so people on this earth.

It will always be futile when discussing religion and spirituality, because no two people think alike when speaking in such terms. People have overall similarities in beliefs, but never two identical (at least I don't believe so). Historically this shows true, as many wars in history are created by the differences in viewpoints. At the end of the day whether it be this forum or anywhere else, there will never exist pure harmony where futility is non-existent.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:19 PM

50,869 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
You've totally left out Buddhism and Taoism, which have millions of adherents around the world, especially in the far East.

Other than that, good post
He mentioned Buddhism.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:19 PM

15,984 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
So there is positive about that too, and negative, but with respect to what is universal truth, not really relevant. My goal with these truths in any case is about promoting peace and/or how we can do better along those lines to mitigate unnecessary serious conflict about what is true and what is not.

Until tomorrow, can I get an amen?

Cheers!

If this is about world peace, Truth is a very bad tool, itis actually a weapon. That is how we got into the miasma of pain called Shock and Awe, with the firm truth that chemical weapons exist.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:20 PM

11,114 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
He mentioned Buddhism.
Yep, already caught that, and engaged the disappearing post phenomenon

Old 08-16-2019, 12:34 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Of course you can leave, and also of course what is obvious should be easy for all of us to understand and accept. Yet..., why do so many billions of people not do so?
Please note, I am a "card carrying" atheist and still have problems with your statements.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:56 PM

22,243 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
I disagree, because this is the essence of what these truths are about.

I am suggesting people need to better "temper" what they insist is truth and what is not. Though what I advocate is very simple and straightforward, it's actually what is so uncommonly recognized as the better way forward if understanding our universal truth is the goal.

"FIVE: Faith is spawned from the human inclination to speculate or suppose beyond reality and theory as determined and defined by science. Such notions are often described as "spirituality" or a belief in an "energy" or an "influence," a "power" or "force," a God or Gods. These notions that go beyond common human awareness are typically based or recognized more by emotion rather than facts, feelings rather than logic. They typically call for faith rather than proof, all stemming from personal experience rather than common observance or scientific verification."

Of course you can leave, and also of course what is obvious should be easy for all of us to understand and accept. Yet..., why do so many billions of people not do so?
but they are not truths.
they are your opinions. your beliefs. your speculation.

so please follow the very good advice you yourself give:
"need to better 'temper' what they insist is truth and what is not."

you are the one insisting your list of nine opinions is "truth"
you are the one insisting there is such a thing as "universal truth"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-16-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 01:08 PM

22,243 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This a very reductive understanding of what people seek in spirituality. Aside for spirituality there other aspects of life where people don;t always act with logic or facts but feelings and emotions, such as maternal love. So what/
excellent points made here.
and i agree.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:47 PM

1,456 posts, read 516,357 times
Quote:
If you think otherwise, please explain exactly what about any of my truths you find difficult to accept and why, specifically, rather than simply point to others who see things differently. Of course, especially in the context of theological perspective as well, I fully understand that others have a different view. My effort is to reconcile them intelligently one way or another.
I'll try and be brief.

Let's assume your nine "truths" is a valid argument. Here you have 8 premises and a conclusion.

You build your argument on a fundamental premise that there are two realities, the second of which is "universal truth".

For the argument to be sound this premise (I'm ignoring others for the purpose of this point) must be true. Yet, you have not demonstrated it as such (this doesn't mean it's false; just that you haven't proved it either way). Not only that but there exist such philosophies that deny your premise altogether and actually build convincing enough arguments against it, such as already mentioned solipsism.

Therefore, for you to claim any ground, you must first demonstrate the truth of your original premise, which unfortunately also means addressing the issues that arise out of the contrary philosophies. Until such time, the best you can say about your argument is it's indeterminate. And indeterminate is by definition neither true nor false.

Quote:
With all due respect to philosophers and all others who have "struggled" with this subject, we may sometimes struggle more than necessary.
Whilst I hold a healthy irreverence toward authority, I find it astonishing the ease with which people can erase intellectual accomplishments of others in favour of their own ideas. Always puts me in mind of Dunning–Kruger.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:47 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Welcome. There is no reason for you to do other than post whatever you wish! Are you confusing my comments with someone else's perhaps? Or just confused about my comments in general?

I am reminded of another "nugget" that can sometimes be found along the way in this forum. Not only what are different opinions and beliefs but how differently people tend to express them, feel about them, defend them...

My daughter is famous in our family for declaring at a very young age that "people are different." Boy if there is one thing this forum proves everyday in no uncertain terms, it's that "people are different" in all variety of ways. No doubt!
You are correct. I read the entire thread and must of confused your OP with a couple of comments.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
He mentioned Buddhism.

He did mention Buddhism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If this is about world peace, Truth is a very bad tool, itis actually a weapon. That is how we got into the miasma of pain called Shock and Awe, with the firm truth that chemical weapons exist.
Oooohhh Lol...what a superb example of logical fallacy. It brilliantly exposes just what the fallacy is. The truth was that there were no WMD but the "Truth" was that Dubhya said there was and started a war on that basis.

Thus 'Truth' can be polar opposites - what the evidence indicates and "Truth" being what someone believes and never mind what the evidence indicates.

I need hardly point out that reason anyone got into the Miasma of Shock and Awe the aftermath of the Iraq war with no exit strategy and the gradual sink into ISIS is all thanks to those great american voters who apparently haven't learned their lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I believe there are five major worldviews in existence ..
Actually, there are two. Mine and the wrong ones. .

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-16-2019 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality