Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 10:22 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
No, not true. All my sins are forgiven regardless of whether I confess them. I am sealed. I can't lose my salvation even if I tried to.

Nooo, that's not what the Bible says:

New International Version
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

You gotta confess them. Asking for forgiveness is just part of the package.

You had an earlier post #148 elsewhere which I haven't forgotten about. It just takes a little longer to formulate a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 10:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

You had an earlier post #148 elsewhere which I haven't forgotten about. It just takes a little longer to formulate a response.
That's what happens when an unbeliever confesses Christ.

Romans 8:1 states there is no condemnation for those in Christ.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't care what the legal definition is.
I care about the child. You folks label children as illegitimate, and it follows a child forever.
Again. No one is labeling a child as illegitimate. But it does show that you are not actually trying to discuss this in good faith. It demonstrates a lack of integrity on your part.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:51 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's what happens when an unbeliever confesses Christ.

Romans 8:1 states there is no condemnation for those in Christ.
so nice that you have those special rules of privilege

Old 01-01-2022, 10:53 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

False. There's only one sin that the book of 1 John deals with, and that is the sin of unbelief.

1 Jn 2:1:

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1 Jn 5:13:

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

So "sin" is being used in the sense of the unrighteousness of unbelief. It's not just any kind of sin, which we do all the time. The purpose for this epistle is the same--just stated a different way--between verses 2:1 and 5:13. To doubt that one has eternal life is the sin in question. John is not talking about confessing lustful thoughts. Moreover, the forgiveness in question is not for the purpose of eternal life, but for the judgment seat of Christ, that one's works will abide (1 Cor 3:13-15). Hence why John states (1 Jn 2:28) - And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:54 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Again. No one is labeling a child as illegitimate. But it does show that you are not actually trying to discuss this in good faith. It demonstrates a lack of integrity on your part.
I worked in a profession where I saw that more than you would understand.

The lack of integrity is trying to mold definitions of illegitimacy or slavery to fit a warped religious standard that was made by man.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:59 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm probably the biggest lover of God you will ever know, to introduce myself.

I see NO reason to believe in or think you need to worship God. There.

Where you are on this path of life is perfect for you in every way, right now.
Enjoy yourself, be good, be content....have fun! Drop any unsubstantiated concepts of God
given by others!
If you care to try to 'feel' this Being you believe in...sit in quiet stillness; peacefully ask within yourself...and
stay open to receive 'something'....lol, it doesn't necessarily take one time for 10 minutes, tho...
it could...nothing's impossible. Ha!

This love of or worship of God comes naturally when you experience 'Him', directly.
Otherwise, it is like loving a picture of a puppy...is that really love when you don't even know the puppy himself?
He could be a terror in real life !!!!

Gotta 'know' anything you love...let alone worship! Right?
Nice message, Miss H. A great way to begin a new year. Thank you.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:53 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
You didn't say that here to my knowledge, and perhaps you and even your church doesn't use this terminology in real life -- and if not, good on ya. In fairness, it's a term in common law, so I don't know if it originated in Christian thought or not. I do know that fundamentalists I was connected with were not falling all over themselves to disparage it.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:21 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You didn't say that here to my knowledge, and perhaps you and even your church doesn't use this terminology in real life -- and if not, good on ya. In fairness, it's a term in common law, so I don't know if it originated in Christian thought or not. I do know that fundamentalists I was connected with were not falling all over themselves to disparage it.
Neither were many people and I am sure atheists were no exception. Illegitimate to describe children born to a single mother has been around for a long time, in everyday speech, and commonly understood, and faciley thrown around. Only now, as we slowly evolve and are willing to recognize concepts such as racism, white privilege, human rights, equality, social justice etc., we are correcting ourselves and cleansing our language of cruel and racist and sexist terms and learning new pronouns and what not.
No child is illegitimate. It is more a term to recognize legal status as a person who can be issued state rights and privileges.

It is an empty argument, as though only people of one religion hold that term or opinion about children and women. Everyone is guilty of it. The alternate term for it was worse.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:40 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Divorce, broken families, illegitimate children, STDs are “no big deal”?
Even if illegitimate is a term used in law, in the context that it was used, there is definitely an extra layer of meaning.

Divorce - negative
broken families - negative
STDs - negative

illegitimate children? It can be used as a neutral descriptor that is useful in law or in the context of heirs. I don't think that was the context though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality