Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:42 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times

Advertisements

Marcion's heresy was finally stamped out in the Empire by Constantine. I wonder if St. Nicholas was whispering in his ear?

https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/basi...onstantine.asp

The Life of Constantine, by Eusebius, book III, Chapter LXIV

Quote:
VICTOR CONSTANTINUS, MAXIMUS AUGUSTUS, to the heretics.

"Understand now, by this present statute, ye Novatians, Valentinians, Marcionites, Paulians, ye who are called Cataphrygians, (1) and all ye who devise and support heresies by means of your private assemblies, with what a tissue of falsehood and vanity, with what destructive and venomous errors, your doctrines are inseparably interwoven; so that through you the healthy soul is stricken with disease, and the living becomes the prey of everlasting death.
Heavy stuff, the Marcions must have had it coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 10:45 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Marcion's heresy was finally stamped out in the Empire by Constantine. I wonder if St. Nicholas was whispering in his ear?

https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/basi...onstantine.asp

The Life of Constantine, by Eusebius, book III, Chapter LXIV

Heavy stuff, the Marcions must have had it coming.
All the talk of Paul creating christianity and Here it says that Paulians were hertetics?...

Old 01-04-2020, 11:45 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
All the talk of Paul creating christianity and Here it says that Paulians were hertetics?...
Proof that Paul didn't create Christianity, showing the absurdity of the skeptic's logic. Pulling a piece here and a piece there, out of context, and ignoring the overall picture.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:38 PM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Proof that Paul didn't create Christianity, showing the absurdity of the skeptic's logic.
That there was a heretical sect called the Paulines is irrelevant to whether Paul created Christianity or not, showing the absurdity of your logic. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Pulling a piece here and a piece there, out of context, and ignoring the overall picture.
Yes, you are ignoring the overall picture in your silly need to attack.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:48 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Which ones does Victor Constantinus refer to, actually?

Paulian (plural Paulians)
  1. (historical) A supporter or follower of the apostle Paul.
  2. (historical) A follower of Paul of Samosata, a bishop of Antioch in the third century, who was deposed for denying the divinity of Christ.
Besides, man who became Christian at the deathbed and, by some scholars believed to have never even be a Christian, who spent his life as pagan, does he really count as authority on such grave matters?

Old 01-04-2020, 03:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,618 times
Quote:
did Santa Claus conquer the Marcions?
It's possible i guess. But they got him as he was trying to make it back to the north pole.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

That has to be the cleverest thread title of last year and probably this year.

St. Nick. Was at the Conference intended to settle what Christianity taught but I never heard that he was on the wrong side.

The Bible had started being compiled (so I read) as a reaction to Marcion's efforts to remove all the Judaic elements from the new religion. That process must have been over by the time of the council at Nicea and the form of the Bible was decided. Though broadly this was not too different from the collections that had gone before - mostly in the order of the OT books.

Didn't St Nicholas become Bishop of Smyrna? I hadn't heard that he was heretical, though so many of the Names of the time were declared so that it wouldn't surprise me. It would surprise me to hear that he was a pagan. But then, it was a bit of a surprise to find out that Constantine was, too.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:22 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
There's probably half a dozen people here that like Marcion and thought he got a bum deal.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:55 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

That has to be the cleverest thread title of last year and probably this year.

St. Nick. Was at the Conference intended to settle what Christianity taught but I never heard that he was on the wrong side.

The Bible had started being compiled (so I read) as a reaction to Marcion's efforts to remove all the Judaic elements from the new religion. That process must have been over by the time of the council at Nicea and the form of the Bible was decided. Though broadly this was not too different from the collections that had gone before - mostly in the order of the OT books.

Didn't St Nicholas become Bishop of Smyrna? I hadn't heard that he was heretical, though so many of the Names of the time were declared so that it wouldn't surprise me. It would surprise me to hear that he was a pagan. But then, it was a bit of a surprise to find out that Constantine was, too.
Justin Martyr said Marcion was still alive around 150 AD, but Marcion may have been active up to 30 years earlier than that.

The basic canon that was the base for ours was probably put together to combat Marcion around 150 to 170 AD.

The Paulines were named after Paul of Samosata (200 to 275 AD), who was later deposed as bishop for being a monarcianist. So much for Ozzy's ignorant rant.

Saint Nicolas was Bishop of Myra, and may have attended the First Council of Nicaea in 325 AD, which discussed Arianism, not Marcionism. If he was at the council, he was on the Trinitarian side, not that of Arian.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
There's probably half a dozen people here that like Marcion and thought he got a bum deal.
Quite possibly. For myself, I'd have been on the side of those who thought it would do Christianity no good in cutting away from the Jewish roots, even if telling the truth rather than denying it woiuldn't mean so much to me then as it does now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality