Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following defines you the most?
Your faith/religion. 5 27.78%
Your family position (Ex: mother/father). 0 0%
Your job. 0 0%
Your social standing/network. 1 5.56%
Your political position(s). 1 5.56%
Your hobby (cars, guns, cooking). 1 5.56%
Your race. 0 0%
Your culture. 2 11.11%
Where you live. 1 5.56%
Other. 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 01:05 PM

1,378 posts, read 394,198 times

Advertisements

Jesus says that it is very good when people mock you for believing in Him. So I thank all the mockers here for mocking me. Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 01:17 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,885,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
The people I care about define me within the scope of my religion. That means that I will always seek to find a way to reconcile the beliefs of my religion with the lives of those I care about, so as not to permit an obstacle or alienation between me and those I care about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure I fully understand, but the part about reconciliation certainly resonates with me...
Unfortunately, I all too often feel and observe the opposite is happening when it comes to how people of different faith manage those differences.
Regarding the management of differences between people, this quote is what resonates with me:

"As Jews, we know that true religious freedom is a shield to protect all religions and never a sword to discriminate. It often feels like religion is used to discriminate -- and that is not something we stand for, regardless of the issue." -- Sheila Katz, president of the National Counsel of Jewish Women

Old 09-22-2019, 01:21 PM

50,924 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Regarding the management of differences between people, this quote is what resonates with me:

"As Jews, we know that true religious freedom is a shield to protect all religions and never a sword to discriminate. It often feels like religion is used to discriminate -- and that is not something we stand for, regardless of the issue." -- Sheila Katz, president of the National Counsel of Jewish Women
That is a great quote!

Old 09-22-2019, 01:32 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,885,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That is a great quote!

Thank you, Phetaroi. I guess that quote exemplifies a major way in which my religion defines me.

Edited to add:

Here you go. I've made a meme for you.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 09-22-2019 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 02:07 PM

7,597 posts, read 4,174,155 times
Quote:

It's a beautiful quote!

Old 09-22-2019, 02:44 PM

63,901 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Thank you, Phetaroi. I guess that quote exemplifies a major way in which my religion defines me.

Edited to add:

Here you go. I've made a meme for you.
Bravo!

Old 09-22-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
John 14:21-26 King James Version (KJV)
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Quote:
It amazes me that god manifests himself at your house day after day, yet so many millions of other people who need a visit from god, and pray for such a visit, are ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
That's not true. They are all just openly mocked by critics & so they don't mention their visitations from God. It does happen millions of times a day throughout the world.

Quote:
And there's a reason they're mocked, although more often than not, my experience has been that normal people just feel sorry for their delusions.

Quote:

"As Jews, we know that true religious freedom is a shield to protect all religions and never a sword to discriminate.

Quote:
That is a great quote!

So it's correct to protect all religions but it's also correct to attack the ones you don't agree with & call them "delusions". Okay got it. Cool. Thanks a lot

Old 09-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:

So it's correct to protect all religions but it's also correct to attack the ones you don't agree with & call them "delusions". Okay got it. Cool. Thanks a lot
I don't think you understand that freedom of religion means. You have a legal right to believe whatever you want in terms of religion (or most anything else). That does not, however, protect you from people questioning your viewpoints our outright criticizing them. It protects you from the government. It may protect you from people trying to DENY you your religious views.

How are my criticisms of you (and btw, I've mostly held my tongue) any different than your continuous condemnation of non-christians as you outline how we're going to hell and the lake of fire, etc.?

Old 09-22-2019, 08:10 PM

Well personally I don't mind at all. Jesus says it is good to be mocked. I've been mocked trillions of times for saying I believe in God etc. I'm just saying that most all civilised people will not allow themselves to be mocked & that is why they don't come to forums & speak about their religious experiences. People end their own lives after they were mocked on a forum. It happens all the time.

I have never said that Non-Christians burn in Hell. I am not a Christian. God took me to see Hell & God has taken millions of people there. I just warned people that Hell does exist & so they ought to start being good instead of evil

Last edited by ocean777; 09-22-2019 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Well personally I don't mind at all. Jesus says it is good to be mocked. I've been mocked trillions of times for saying I believe in God etc. I'm just saying that most all civilised people will not allow themselves to be mocked & that is why they don't come to forums & speak about their religious experiences. People end their own lives after they were mocked on a forum. It happens all the time.

I have never said that Non-Christians burn in Hell. I am not a Christian. God took me to see Hell & God has taken millions of people there. I just warned people that Hell does exist & so they ought to start being good instead of evil
This is one problem -- the hyperbole in your posts. How could you have been mocked "trillions" of times? And I don't believe that very many people have mocked you just for saying you believe in god.

Where is god when they end their lives due to be mocked for following him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality