Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I will reject anything from a person until I see good fruit. If the fruit is rotten then the person is rotten inside.

Don't blindly accept what sounds logical, or pleasing to your ears, until you have seen the fruit first.
No one is blindly accepting what sounds logical, we are basing our arguments what is logical. You are the one pretending you have fruit because it makes you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 09:02 AM

952 posts, read 323,818 times
From the carnal mind standpoint , which is where this question emanates, the success of it is the proof .
You have to be honest and ask yourself if the claim of resurrection had never been made would "Christianity" even be a faith today ?
Love Him or Hate Him it cannot be denied that based on the resurrection from the dead claim Jesus has turned the world upside down.
From the standpoint of the carnal mind it is so simple , make the claim of coming resurrection, have an execution , hide the body , establish a multi-billion dollar world wide organization .
Yet with all natural human desire for power , wealth , an attempt to duplicate a fake resurrection has never been made since Christ ?
Not once has it been attempted since .
If greedy , power hungry humans really believed that the resurrection was the equivalent of the Indian rope trick and led to all the money & power it would have been attempted in every corner of the globe 100 times or more by now.
Yet not once has it ever been attempted ?

Old 10-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
From the carnal mind standpoint , which is where this question emanates, the success of it is the proof .
So other religions are also true?

Quote:
You have to be honest and ask yourself if the claim of resurrection had never been made would "Christianity" even be a faith today ?

Love Him or Hate Him it cannot be denied that based on the resurrection from the dead claim Jesus has turned the world upside down.
Other religions have also turned the world upside down.

Quote:
From the standpoint of the carnal mind it is so simple , make the claim of coming resurrection, have an execution , hide the body , establish a multi-billion dollar world wide organization .
Yet with all natural human desire for power , wealth , an attempt to duplicate a fake resurrection has never been made since Christ ?
If greedy , power hungry humans really believed that the resurrection was the equivalent of the Indian rope trick and led to all the money & power it would have been attempted in every corner of the globe 100 times or more by now.
There are other possibilities than faked or true.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
It is surely blinkered thinking to pretend that the success of Christianity proves the truth of its' tenets. Christianity hardly compares with the success of islam it its' early years and even less with the spread of Buddhism into the east -and that without any warfare to push it and in the teeth of resistance from Hinduism in southeast Asia and Confucianism in China and Korea.

Sometimes, success of a religion can hang on a single battle. Roncevalles in the early medieval and Vienna in the late stopped Europe becoming a Islamicised as a lot of the Balkans was. One battle turning back the Mongols stopped Islam being extinguished. Better support by the Latin side of Christianity might have stopped the fall of Constantinople and Christianity would pretty much own the Middle east today. That is hardly a success - story for the Faith.

A great deal of Christianity's 'success' is due to colonisation and the ability to make war better than anyone else. S American Catholicism is based entirely on conquest and exploitation. A good half of Protestantism is down to Europe swiping half of America and all of Australia from its' natives. Don't talk to me about the 'success' of Christianity validating it.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:41 AM

952 posts, read 323,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So other religions are also true

Other religions have also turned the world upside down.
True In reference to what particular foundational " proof " ?
That being the basis for this thread .
There are a thousand religions after all .
I would submit to you that there is no other religion you can name that could be destroyed based upon a particular foundational claim of it being disproven the way Christianity could if the resurrection were proven a lie .
Such as ?

Old 10-11-2019, 10:02 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Interesting twist. That is something I wonder about - why do we need the resurrection in the first place? Or the crucifixion? But what would I know, I saw the arrest, trial and crucifixion as a failure - a bad ending to what sounded like a nice story. And then they stuck those horrid crucifixes with a tortured man all over the place! I suppose just maybe, that that is the key to the success of Christianity. How else does one deal with the enormity and horror of that damn crucifix? Just a thought.
Personally I think it's the every cause needs a martyr syndrome.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I will reject anything from a person until I see good fruit. If the fruit is rotten then the person is rotten inside.

Don't blindly accept what sounds logical, or pleasing to your ears, until you have seen the fruit first.
That works both ways, Ozzy.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
True In reference to what particular foundational " proof " ?
That being the basis for this thread .
There are a thousand religions after all .
I would submit to you that there is no other religion you can name that could be destroyed based upon a particular foundational claim of it being disproven the way Christianity could if the resurrection were proven a lie .
Such as ?
Gabriel did not visit Mohammad, or Mohammad did not exist. This would destroy Islam more than the resurrection story being shown to be false.

As for the resurrection were proven a lie, no one is claiming this apart from Christians straw manning atheists. Christianity existed for decades before the gospel resurrection story was invented. And I know of one Christian who is still a Christian, even though he believes Jesus did not even exist.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

...And I know of one Christian who is still a Christian, even though he believes Jesus did not even exist.
May I presume that is based on biblical principles, rather than stories?

Old 10-11-2019, 10:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I'd guess. There is a kind of person who follows the teachings as a moral guide and doesn't worry overmuch about the supernatural stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality