Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 06:52 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,807,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Which is why it bewilders me how two Christians can stand side by side--sort of like myself 8 years ago and jimmie--and we can both be presented with the same bankruptcy of evidence for Jesus Christ and I can say, "Turns out Christianity is a big fraud. I'm outta here!" while jimmie will say, "I will believe in Jesus Christ even if God Himself comes down and tells me there was no such person!" I mean how does such denial and naïveté exist among Christians? I realize much of this is pure psychological defense mechanisms--the inability to cope with truth when it is staring you right in the eyes. Still....

I thought that was Charles Martel at the Battle of Tours in 732. Only thing I remember from History 101.
Likewise, I am dumbfounded by people like you that can’t see the evidence for Christianity, right in front of your face! It’s played out in front of us every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 06:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Likewise, I am dumbfounded by people like you that can’t see the evidence for Christianity, right in front of your face! It’s played out in front of us every day.
In fact it isn't, it's played out in your own head and you think it must be played out in ours, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You are changing the subject!
Am i? What was the subject again?

Quote:
Here, you are clearly saying Christians do nothing to help our fellow-man. Motivation is not the issue.
No, you are missing the point. The Christian doctrine or habit, perhaps, of thinking that praying to put things right or (when it doesn't happen) assuring us that Jesus will sort it all out eventually, prevents the impetus to make things better ourselves, because we (secularists) don't think that anyone else will.

When Christians actually do try to do good, why, then do they do it?
(x)For the same reason atheists do,
(y)for publicity or recruitment purposes or because (doctrine aside (1) they feel that it will please God and assure them getting into heaven. Thus it is not altruism and they deserve no credit for doing it.

(1) rather as there is a dichotomy between the belief in a Last trump judgement or one immediately upon death) there is the conflicting ideas that God is pleased by good deeds or doesn't care about them. I can guess why on both doctrinal and social bases, but we needn't go into that right now.

P.s Have a nice day.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:02 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,043,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've been watching this thread for several days wondering when somebody was going to remember that the thread was about evidence OUTSIDE of the Bible. Subject of the thread: Debate: Remove the Bible And What Evidence Is Left For Jesus' Resurrection

With that title, why do people keep mentioning the Bible?
Because it's obvious. The OP never intended on actually discussing real proofs. It's to crap on the Bible. Any fool can plainly see that.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because it's obvious. The OP never intended on actually discussing real proofs. It's to crap on the Bible. Any fool can plainly see that.
Of course, because every day is crap on the Bible day. Because it's all part of countering the 'Base American society on the Bible' campaign and rightly so, and that's done by the Proofs that it is so much crap. It's what the debate is about (or is since atheists won dominance in R/S). Join in or get out, but stop whining about it.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:16 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
Quote:
The Bible was supposed to be taken out of the question.
So, other than that, please provide some "real proofs"

Old 10-03-2019, 07:23 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,043,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The Bible was supposed to be taken out of the question.
So, other than that, please provide some "real proofs"
I did. The historical fact of the Christian faith exploding around 30 AD, and a church forming. That is undeniable. The martyrs that died willingly because of what they saw, not just what they heard or believed.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:30 AM

16,807 posts, read 5,005,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Good points. But it seems to me that Paul's letters weren't known until quite late, since only Luke seems to incorporate them into his gospel, and bases Acts (loosely) on them. Indeed Matthew and John have the disciples going back to Galilee after the resurrection but Luke knows that Paul's letters show that they stayed in Jerusalem as founders of the Jesus party, Saints, 'Elect', Nazorenes or 'The Meek'.
Unfortunately we can not discuss the Bible in a thread about removing the Bible as evidence, so I would need to point out how Mark is Pauline in another thread.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:32 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,807,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
In fact it isn't, it's played out in your own head and you think it must be played out in ours, too.

Am i? What was the subject again?

No, you are missing the point. The Christian doctrine or habit, perhaps, of thinking that praying to put things right or (when it doesn't happen) assuring us that Jesus will sort it all out eventually, prevents the impetus to make things better ourselves, because we (secularists) don't think that anyone else will.

When Christians actually do try to do good, why, then do they do it?
(x)For the same reason atheists do,
(y)for publicity or recruitment purposes or because (doctrine aside (1) they feel that it will please God and assure them getting into heaven. Thus it is not altruism and they deserve no credit for doing it.

(1) rather as there is a dichotomy between the belief in a Last trump judgement or one immediately upon death) there is the conflicting ideas that God is pleased by good deeds or doesn't care about them. I can guess why on both doctrinal and social bases, but we needn't go into that right now.

P.s Have a nice day.
You’re moving the goalposts because you know you misspoke about Christian charity.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:37 AM

16,807 posts, read 5,005,647 times
Quote:
I did. The historical fact of the Christian faith exploding around 30 AD, and a church forming. That is undeniable.
We have no evidence the faith did explode. In fact according to Pliny the Younger, Christianity, at least in NW Turkey was dying out. The Christian faith had 'exploded' so much , Pliny, one of the most powerful students of history and geography knew nothing about it.

Quote:
The martyrs that died willingly because of what they saw, not just what they heard or believed.
For which you have provided NO evidence, with or without the Bible. Not one account has an alleged eyewitness dying for their beliefs.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:38 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,870,768 times
Quote:
I did. The historical fact of the Christian faith exploding around 30 AD, and a church forming. That is undeniable.
...but it didn't explode then. In fact, it didn't 'explode' until Constantine made it legal and then Theodosius I made it the official religion of the Empire in 380CE.Had it not been for those two 4th century events, Christianity would have died as it it had lived until then, an obscure blood sect.

Quote:
The martyrs that died willingly because of what they saw, not just what they heard or believed.
Absolutely no evidence whatsoever that such people even existed never mind that they died as martyrs. Further, people dying for what they believe does not make the belief true...or do you actually thing that David Koresh was Jesus returned? How many times have you had this explained to you now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality