Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 09:08 AM

16,279 posts, read 7,213,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

The St. Thomas Christians in India make that claim. I have no reason to doubt their traditions. They were originally evangelized by Thomas himself. The quasi-historical Acts of Thomas also substantiates this.
There are various accounts of Thomas's life. There also accounts of his gospel being expunged until it was discovered in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Link to Dead Sea Scrolls. There are many other.
Gospel of Thomas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 10:18 AM

16,884 posts, read 5,080,942 times
Quote:
The most obvious is the account of the martyrdom of James in Acts 12. Peter is said to have been martyred in Rome, Andrew is said to have been martyred in Greece, Thomas was martyred in India... They were all killed for religious reasons.
Wrong James. Peter is killed in Rome, but for not praying to the Roman gods. Andrew does not die for his beliefs. Thomas is killed for some unknown reason.

Eusebius claimed 11 disciples were killed, Hippolytus of Rome says only 5. Both Bartholomew and Simon the Zealot died 3 times, with Mathias being killed only once, but also managing to also die of natural causes.

Quote:
Interesting. You seem to be claiming several things here:

1) Joseph Smith completely fabricated his vision of Moroni and knew he was lying, etc

Quote:
2) His motivation for founding Mormonism was pure (i.e. making the world a better place) rather than for his own sexual gratification and/or potential personal gain
No, making the world a better place is just one reason why people would die for a lie. It is not the reason Joseph Smith died.

Quote:
3) His death had to do with religious convictions rather than power motives / illegal acts of overt violence
No, I am just giving you one example of someone who would rather die for his lie than admit he was faking it. I am not talking about his actual death.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
What do you think Paul meant by "Scripture"?
He quotes passages from several books now in the OT, including the prophets, and at least one unknown text.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:32 AM

13,890 posts, read 8,171,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, I am just giving you one example of someone who would rather die for his lie than admit he was faking it. I am not talking about his actual death.
Yes, human pride can be a powerful thing, and it's certainly feasible that a few would rather die than admit to a lie; but all or most of them? And on top of that, to have kept the lie a successfully guarded secret for their entire life? Maybe I'm too cynical, but I don't find that to be a realistic proposition.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There are various accounts of Thomas's life. There also accounts of his gospel being expunged until it was discovered in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Link to Dead Sea Scrolls. There are many other.
Gospel of Thomas
The Dead Sea scrolls and the Nag Hammadi scrolls are two different finds.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
1 Corinthians 15:3-4, Jesus died, was buried, and resurrected according to scripture
Quote:
He's talking about the Old Testament - that Christ's death, burial, and resurrection were prophesied and foreshadowed there.
Quote:
That is not what the text says. It says according to scripture, not prophesied in scripture.
Quote:
What do you think Paul meant by "Scripture"?
Quote:
He quotes passages from several books now in the OT, including the prophets, and at least one unknown text.
So it seems we agree after all?

Old 05-05-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, human pride can be a powerful thing, and it's certainly feasible that a few would rather die than admit to a lie; but all or most of them? And on top of that, to have kept the lie a successfully guarded secret for their entire life? Maybe I'm too cynical, but I don't find that to be a realistic proposition.
That presumes 1) it was a lie, and 2) that all of them knew it was a lie. And if any one was willing to die for a lie for the better good, they would be willing to keep that secret for their entire life.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
So it seems we agree after all?
No, I am saying the death, burial and resurrection were revealed in the OT, not prophesied.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
That presumes 1) it was a lie, and 2) that all of them knew it was a lie. And if any one was willing to die for a lie for the better good, they would be willing to keep that secret for their entire life.
Yeah, that doesn't sound reasonable to me. If the Resurrection didn't happen, then there is no "better good" in lying about it.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
No, I am saying the death, burial and resurrection were revealed in the OT, not prophesied.
What's the difference between the bolded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality