Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2022, 11:28 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To the best of our knowledge, a human infant does NOT possess what we recognize as consciousness (Spirit) for several weeks AFTER physical birth. IMO, once it does, it is eternal relative to physical existence because it exists at the level of quanta (BEC) NOT in the physical matter of the brain. Its development is facilitated by our physical existence NOT dependent on it. I am NOT privy to God's. motives just His nature and love so I can only infer. Reproduction just seems obvious since that is what children are for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Did I miss something or has anyone been able to establish the existence of a spirit at anytime before, during or after birth?

Reproduction is "what children are for?" That's an interesting notion too, especially in the realm of divinity.

Isn't it also interesting that the supposed creator is said here to have such a loving nature, yet all his human creations seem hell-bent about something else entirely? Except for those few who God has managed to make contact with of course, and even some of those folks don't seem of the same nature most of the time.

Something like the perfect computer program that someone manages to produce, but then there's all these glitches that no one can explain or fix...
You know that I equate our consciousness with our Spirit, LearnMe. That kind of disrespectful pretense at ignorance engenders the less agape-loving responses. Our consciousness (Spirit) enables ALL the spiritual attributes (the good, bad, and the ugly) like joy, love, mercy, compassion, suffering, envy, greed, lust, etc. That diversity of spiritual response is what accounts for the Reality we experience. Our task is to grow and mature to prefer the positive attributes and live according to them. Our humanity and fallibility are what accounts for our inconsistency and failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 01:04 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not only is it satisfying not to use a drop of gasoline, but I don't miss the visits to the gas station, at all. We're very impressed with the ride and pick-up of our EV too. Beyond our expectations. Still haven't done the longer trip to test the access to charging stations along the way, but we've done at least two hours each way with a full charge. Haven't charged anywhere but home yet. I'm curious about the cost to charge elsewhere. We're going to do a fast charge here locally when we're down below 20% just to see how long it takes and what it costs. This week or next depending on how much driving we do between now and then. We love our Tesla 3!
2021 Hyundai Ioniq here. I don't think you'll have much difficulty with Tesla superchargers. I find an adequate number of level 3 charging stations for our vehicle, at least on Interstates. As to cost -- for me (range of 180 mies, going from 50% to 95%) I think it was something like the cost of 2 gallons of gas when I tried it. For Tesla owners, it can range from free (for some models in the past) to pricey depending on local electricity costs and how much solar can meet the need, but even at its worst will be no more than about 40% of the cost of a tank of gas from what I've read.

So ... maybe atheism is a rejection of internal combustion engines, lol

Old 06-02-2022, 02:51 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Maybe for some atheism is a rejection of an evil God.
Atheism is a disbelief in any god i.e. we can’t reject that which we do not believe exists.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:10 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Maybe for some atheism is a rejection of an evil God. For me the God of the Bible is a reason to dismiss the Bible,'s version of that God but is not the reason for me being an atheist. I am sure thatvother atheists have reasons differ from.my own.
well maybe. then those atheist are as reliable as the all loving god when it comes discussing beliefs that match what we see.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:12 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
well maybe. then those atheist are as reliable as the all loving god when it comes discussing beliefs that match what we see.
I actually referred to three types or reasons for atheists. I am done guessing what your comments ever refer to.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:14 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Atheism is a disbelief in any god i.e. we can’t reject that which we do not believe exists.

If I live my life completely devoid of any god and don't even give him a passing thought other than on this board but I think there might be a higher power somewhere, am I an atheist?

Old 06-02-2022, 04:50 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah..."Belief" vs "Disbelief". Belief/Disbelief about what?
There is no such thing as "disbelief" or "nonbelief" or "lack belief" in anything one has considered and/or contemplated.
Whatever one has considered and/or contemplated, they necessarily have a belief about it ..it is impossible not to.
The only way one can not have a belief about something is if they have never heard of it, or never thought anything about it.
Those terms ("disbelief"/"nonbelief"/"lack belief") are bogus terms invented by Atheists that are short on resolve & conviction...so they don't have to take a stand.
One either believes God exists...believes God doesn't exist...believes they are unable to make a determination.. or has never considered the matter.
There are no other positions.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:02 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If I live my life completely devoid of any god and don't even give him a passing thought other than on this board but I think there might be a higher power somewhere, am I an atheist?
No, it sounds like you are married

Old 06-02-2022, 06:04 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I would say not - as you speak as if ‘he’ exists i.e. ‘don't even give him a passing thought’.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:15 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yeah..."Belief" vs "Disbelief". Belief/Disbelief about what?
There is no such thing as "disbelief" or "nonbelief" or "lack belief" in anything one has considered and/or contemplated.
Whatever one has considered and/or contemplated, they necessarily have a belief about it ..it is impossible not to.
The only way one can not have a belief about something is if they have never heard of it, or never thought anything about it.
Those terms ("disbelief"/"nonbelief"/"lack belief") are bogus terms invented by Atheists that are short on resolve & conviction...so they don't have to take a stand.
One either believes God exists...believes God doesn't exist...believes they are unable to make a determination.. or has never considered the matter.
There are no other positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality