Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 09:06 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
dancing round the point.
the point of the thread as stated in the opening post is "the state of realization of our true nature" and directly experiencing it first-hand.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I respect that your statement is true for you.
In my way of thinking it is true as long as we believe this world as we live it is the absolute Reality. We know that it is a relative reality, it is constantly changing, and what with the speed of light and sound, we cannot even be sure what we see is what we see in real time. What IS real time anyway?
In one way of seeing we dream and in deep sleep for about 30% of our time on earth, if we sleep 8 hours a day.
Are those states as real as our waking state? Why or why not?
Great question. Without sleep we will die. Years ago, there was study performed on a radio D.J. who stayed awake for almost a week. He was never mentally the same. When we sleep our bodies heal. When we sleep it's as if we plug in and download.

I do not know how real dreams are because I've died at least three times in my dreams: twice on 2 different bridges, and once in a building crash in India. Perhaps my dreams signified life continues on...

Old 05-28-2020, 09:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't believe in the Abrahamic god(s). Jehovah was a bungling psycho and I don't believe Jesus was any sort of god, or the son of one. (Although I believe he was one of the planet's greatest game-changers.)

It's fun to speculate on possibilities, though.

"God" may be a super-evolved alien race and Earth seeded as a biology experiment. Perhaps there are millions of such projects underway in the universe(s).

It may also be the collective consciousness of every living being, ever growing, ever evolving.

But the gods in books were obviously fashioned from the minds of primitive men who had a lot of evolving to do.
worth repeating.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 AM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't believe in the Abrahamic god(s). Jehovah was a bungling psycho and I don't believe Jesus was any sort of god, or the son of one. (Although I believe he was one of the planet's greatest game-changers.)

It's fun to speculate on possibilities, though.

"God" may be a super-evolved alien race and Earth seeded as a biology experiment. Perhaps there are millions of such projects underway in the universe(s).

It may also be the collective consciousness of every living being, ever growing, ever evolving.

But the gods in books were obviously fashioned from the minds of primitive men who had a lot of evolving to do.
Good post.

I can see Jesus as a sometimes wise teacher, assuming the words he is credited with were actually spoken by "him".

"Collective consciousness" is an interesting concept. I might simplify it to "collective/evolving sense of humanity".

In terms of your last sentence, in recent months I have evolved a bit in my thinking from "there is no god" to "there is no biblegod".

Old 05-28-2020, 10:07 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
  1. 1.
    (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
  2. 2.
    (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

This is why I avoid use the word god or use it as "god".
I do not believe, OP should be using it also, as commonly used understanding of "god" is not Brahman.
In that sense, you can call me atheist. Just like Buddha was.
Yet, I do know from the depth of me, from that faint unspoken voice, that there is conscious immortality to everything. Intelligent design, strict law everything is ticking to.
But no, not a "god".

CB, while you touched on it... gosh, I am tired of repeating this... human physiology and delay in perception and how sensory stimuli are processed, with well known delay, DO NOT permit a human to be in reality. Even better, as perception and interpretation of those stimuli, is based on ones all kinds of makeup, from genetic to mental, everyone's reality is different.

And no, you are wrong, not everyone does not remember when they wake up. I remember oh so well. Sometimes, I wish I didn't.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
  1. (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
  2. (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

This is why I avoid use the word god or use it as "god".
I do not believe, OP should be using it also, as commonly used understanding of "god" is not Brahman.
In that sense, you can call me atheist. Just like Buddha was. Yet, I do know from the depth of me, from that faint unspoken voice, that there is conscious immortality to everything. Intelligent design, strict law everything is ticking to.
But no, not a "god".

CB, while you touched on it... gosh, I am tired of repeating this... human physiology and delay in perception and how sensory stimuli are processed, with well known delay, DO NOT permit a human to be in reality. Even better, as perception and interpretation of those stimuli, is based on ones all kinds of makeup, from genetic to mental, everyone's reality is different.

And no, you are wrong, not everyone does not remember when they wake up. I remember oh so well. Sometimes, I wish I didn't.
opening post is not limited to god, as it also mentions and invites input on force, powerful Being, oneness, vibration, True Nature, all that is, Ultimate Reality, true reality, silence, and Self Realization

what it appears to me that perhaps you describe as "there is conscious immortality to everything. Intelligent design, strict law everything is ticking to"

regarding word choice, i prefer "eternal" instead of "immortal" for our core.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:42 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Correct. Thing about word is, word carries meaning. So do written words. Letters, as symbols, were not someone's malignant dream. They are designed the way they are. For example, Arabic numerals, commonly used, have number of angles in their shape, equal to each numeral value.
That's why I am stickler to words. Unfortunately, there is no really good word to describe concepts, touched by OP. Sanskrit likely is about the only ancient language that has that vocabulary.
That in mind, I simply point out that "god" and what OP is referring to, are different, if not opposite, concepts.

As of what you highlighted, dear Tzaphkiel, I'd rather stay with The light of Intelligence or Consciousness.

But, definitely not "god'. This is why it is rather challenging to communicate with others, who are stuck in beat up religious terms and label with them any concept they wish to. What results in confusion and misunderstanding.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Correct. Thing about word is, word carries meaning. So do written words. Letters, as symbols, were not someone's malignant dream. They are designed the way they are. For example, Arabic numerals, commonly used, have number of angles in their shape, equal to each numeral value.
That's why I am stickler to words. Unfortunately, there is no really good word to describe concepts, touched by OP. Sanskrit likely is about the only ancient language that has that vocabulary.
That in mind, I simply point out that "god" and what OP is referring to, are different, if not opposite, concepts.

As of what you highlighted, dear Tzaphkiel, I'd rather stay with The light of Intelligence or Consciousness.

But, definitely not "god'. This is why it is rather challenging to communicate with others, who are stuck in beat up religious terms and label with them any concept they wish to. What results in confusion and misunderstanding.
that is a good phrase, too
and for many "The light of Intelligence or Consciousness" = Divinity.

perhaps not for you. but for many, yes. if a word is problematic for a person, or a block or barrier or obstacle to understanding, then we try to use different words to convey what it is we are trying to express. my impression from the opening post is that is the discussion they are interested in, rather than attachment to a particular word.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:

exactly my position. how the universe works seems to be the best way for god beliefs to be supported.

But thats why some don't want us to align a belief about god to the universe isn't it? When we do that, militant atheism/fundy theism start to long stupid.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:51 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Default ^I see Kapitän irrelevant is praying again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the point of the thread as stated in the opening post is "the state of realization of our true nature" and directly experiencing it first-hand.
Yes. It is not about a drug abuse problem I do not have.

I provided other examples of false experiences you can have without understanding them. Including cognitive bias.

But if you insist on understanding your god by experience, then I presume you understand how it does things your god allegedly does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality