Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 12:01 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
Throughout the gospels, Jesus places great emphasis on several character traits. Although he often links them explicitly to teachings that cannot be separated from their religious context (including in the beatitudes when he speaks about whom God will bless), I think trying to embrace these traits can lead to a happier, more generous and more rewarding and fulfilling life.

1. Humility.

2. Forgiveness.

3. Love.

4. Charity.
Okay, a good start, although I'd have to see some actual New Testament bible verses to fully discuss these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 12:23 AM

303 posts, read 128,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Okay, a good start, although I'd have to see some actual New Testament bible verses to fully discuss these.
1. Humility.
In Luke 14:10-11, Jesus says “Instead, take the lowest place at the foot of the table. Then when your host sees you, he will come and say, ‘Friend, we have a better place for you!’ Then you will be honored in front of all the other guests. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

2. Forgiveness.
In Matthew 18, when Peter asks if he should forgive someone who has wronged him seven times, he says "not seven, but seventy times seven."

3. Love.
The emphasis on love is found throughout the gospels, such as when Jesus says to love your neighbour as yourself. Love and forgiveness are are also directly linked in Luke 7 when Jesus says "I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; that’s why she loved much. But the one who is forgiven little, loves little."

4. Charity.
Luke 3 says, 'And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”' Matthew 5 says, 'Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.'

Now again, Jesus rarely gives reasons for embracing these traits that would satisfy a secular person. Rather, he says that those who exhibit these traits will be given rewards in the kingdom or heaven; hardly a persuasive reason for those who do not believe in such a kingdom. Nevertheless, I think trying to cultivate these traits will lead to greater contentment in one's own life and promote greater well-being in the lives of others.

Peace.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
1. Humility.
In Luke 14:10-11, Jesus says “Instead, take the lowest place at the foot of the table. Then when your host sees you, he will come and say, ‘Friend, we have a better place for you!’ Then you will be honored in front of all the other guests. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

2. Forgiveness.
In Matthew 18, when Peter asks if he should forgive someone who has wronged him seven times, he says "not seven, but seventy times seven."

3. Love.
The emphasis on love is found throughout the gospels, such as when Jesus says to love your neighbour as yourself. Love and forgiveness are are also directly linked in Luke 7 when Jesus says "I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; that’s why she loved much. But the one who is forgiven little, loves little."

4. Charity.
Luke 3 says, 'And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”' Matthew 5 says, 'Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.'

Now again, Jesus rarely gives reasons for embracing these traits that would satisfy a secular person. Rather, he says that those who exhibit these traits will be given rewards in the kingdom or heaven; hardly a persuasive reason for those who do not believe in such a kingdom. Nevertheless, I think trying to cultivate these traits will lead to greater contentment in one's own life and promote greater well-being in the lives of others.

Peace.
If I read those passages without any reference as to who said them or the source for the text, I would still say that they are wise...with a little hesitation to the first one. But, I can buy into all four of those examples. Not because Jesus said them. But just because they are wise. (As I said earlier today in another thread, for the most part, Jesus was a fine teacher).

What I don't buy into is part of your last paragraph -- where essentially...well not essentially...where you actually say that a reason to do those things is to buy your way into heaven (I'm sure you would say earn your way). But, as you go on to say, if you cultivate those behaviors you will lead a more content life for yourself and others.

And interestingly, that is very much a karmic concept.

In fact, if I do a Google search for "What does Buddhism say about ___________ (humility, forgiveness, love, charity)", I can find similar teachings. I wonder if the same can be said about Hinduism, Islam, and other religions?

Thank you for your post!

Old 06-19-2020, 07:37 PM

With a very few exceptions, we didn't get many christians willing to talk about NT principles.

To those who did -- thank you!

To the rest of you -- I can only translate your silence as admitting that your chrsitianity is not based on principles, but on blind faith. Your bad.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:50 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
With a very few exceptions, we didn't get many christians willing to talk about NT principles.

To the rest of you -- I can only translate your silence as admitting that your chrsitianity is not based on principles, but on blind faith. Your bad.
There's also the possibility that they didn't click on the thread in the first place.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's also the possibility that they didn't click on the thread in the first place.
No matter what the reason, I'd still like to see christians start discussing (as opposed to preaching) actual principles.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:43 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:

It that like when you avoid talking about your positions? we can assume when you disengage that you understand your position is based on blind faith or you know your positions are clearly less valid?

Old 06-20-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
It that like when you avoid talking about your positions? we can assume when you disengage that you understand your position is based on blind faith or you know your positions are clearly less valid?
Give me an example, sonny.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:19 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
No matter what the reason, I'd still like to see christians start discussing (as opposed to preaching) actual principles.
I question this, phet. You seem irritated rather than pleased when what you consider Buddhist principles are being adopted by Christians, all because Christians believe in God and Theravada Buddhists do not. Where does your love of principles reside?

Old 06-20-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I question this, phet. You seem irritated rather than pleased when what you consider Buddhist principles are being adopted by Christians, all because Christians believe in God and Theravada Buddhists do not. Where does your love of principles reside?
That's not correct.

Making a Buddha (which by the way is a supposed FUTURE Buddha) part of christianity is NOT principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality