Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 07:56 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post

Change happens one person at a time.
We change the world by changing ourselves.

There was once a great Chief of the Plains who had very tender feet. Other mighty chiefs laughed at him; little chiefs only smiled as he hobbled past; and though they did not dare to smile, the people of the tribe also enjoyed the big chief's discomfort. All of them were in the same canoe, having no horses and only bare feet, but luckily very few of them had tender feet. The unhappily medicine man who was advisor to the Chief-of-the- Tender-Feet was afraid and troubled. Each time he was called before the chief he was asked, 'What are you going to do about it?" The 'it' meant the chief's tender feet.

Forced by fear, the medicine man at last hit upon a plan. Though he knew that it was not the real answer to the chief's foot problem, nevertheless it was a good makeshift. The medicine man had some women of the tribe weave a long, narrow mat of reeds, and when the big chief had to go anywhere, four braves unrolled the mat in front of him so that he walked in comfort. One day, the braves were worn out from seeing that the chief's feet were not worn out. They carelessly unrolled the mat over a place where flint arrowheads had been chipped. The arrowheads had long ago taken flight, but the needle-sharp chips remained. When the big chief's tender feet were wounded by these chips, he uttered a series of whoops which made the nearby aspen tree leaves quiver so hard that they have been trembling ever since.

That night the poor medicine man was given an impossible task by the angry chief: 'Cover the whole earth with mats so thick that my feet will not suffer. If you fail, you will die when the moon is round.'

The frightened maker of magic crept back to his lodge. He did not wish to be put to death on the night of the full moon, but he could think of no way to avoid it. Suddenly he saw the hide of an elk which he had killed pegged to the ground, with two women busily scraping the hair from the hide, and an idea flashed into his groping mind. He sent out many hunters; many women were busy for many days; many braves with hunting knives cut, and women sewed with bone needles and rawhide sinews.

On the day before the moon was round, the medicine man went to the chief and told him that he had covered as much of the earth as was possible in so short a time. When the chief looked from the door of his lodge, he saw many paths of skin stretching as far as he could see. Long strips which could be moved from place to place connected the main leather paths. Even the chief thought that this time the magic of the medicine man had solved tenderfoot transportation for all time - but this was not to be !

One day, as the big chief was walking along one of his smooth, tough leather paths, he saw a pretty maiden of the tribe gliding ahead of him, walking on the hard earth on one side of the chief's pathway. She glanced back when she heard the pitter- patter of his feet on the elkhide pathway and seemed to smile. The chief set off on the run to catch up with her, his eyes fixed on the back of She-Who-Smiled, and so his feet strayed from the narrow path and landed in a bunch of needle-sharp thorns! The girl ran for her life when she heard the hideous howls of the chief, and Indians in the distant village thought that they were being attacked by wildcats.

Two suns later, when the chief was calm enough to speak again, he had his medicine man brought before him and told the unhappy man that next day, when the sun was high, he would be sent with all speed to the land of shadows.

That night, the medicine man climbed to the top of a high hill in search of advice from friendly spirits on how to cover the entire earth with leather. He slept, and in a dream vision he was shown the answer to his problem. Amid vivid flashes of lightning, he tore down the steep hillside, howling louder than the big chief at times, as jagged rocks wounded his bare feet and legs. He did not stop until he was safely inside his lodge. He worked all night and until the warriors who were to send him on the shadow trail came for him, just before noon the next day. He was surrounded by the war-club armed guards. He was clutching close to his heart something tightly rolled in a piece of deerskin. His cheerful smile surprised those who saw him pass. 'Wah, he is brave!' said the men of the tribe. 'He is very brave!' said the women of the tribe.

The big chief was waiting just outside his lodge. He gave the guards swift, stern orders. Before the maker of magic could be led away, he asked leave to say a few words to the chief. 'Speak!' said the chief, sorry to lose a clever medicine man who was very good at most kinds of magic. Even the chief knew that covering the entire earth with leather was an impossible task.

The medicine man quickly knelt beside the chief, unrolled the two objects which he took from his bundle and slipped one of them on each foot of the chief. The chief seemed to be wearing a pair of bear's hairless feet, instead of bare feet, and he was puzzled at first as he looked at the elkhide handcraft of his medicine man. 'Big chief,' the medicine man exclaimed joyfully, 'I have found the way to cover the earth with leather! For you, O chief, from now on the earth will always be covered with leather.' And so it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 12:23 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
It's a retail art studio in which families will come to paint plaster items they choose from the shelves (plaques or items with inspirational and spiritual phrases, candle holders/containers, piggy banks, figurines, picture frames, and other types of items). I will seal each piece when they are finished painting them and they will be able to go home with the completed artwork a few minutes later. It will provide a creative and meditative outlet for children and adults as well as facilitate quality time together while everyone paints. Everything involved in the process is non-toxic, and at the end of each painting session people either have something they can keep for themselves or gift to others. Everyone will have something that they channeled their energies into, something which will last a long time and continue to bring back positive memories.

I have prayed and meditated on this and other things related to the business (as with most everything I've done in my life - I have prayed from my heart as it just seems like the right thing to do). I don't know what drew me to this forum thread, but it has been my life path that I seem to stumble upon the right places and the right people as I seek knowledge while other times I manage to find the wisdom I need within myself. Starting this business is one of the first open, genuine and truthful things I feel passionate and enthusiastic about being involved within. I wish to spend my time bringing happiness to both myself and others and I think this venture will achieve those things. To state that I am enthusiastic would be an understatement but I feel like I am still in need of some sort of guidance or advice available here.

If others have questions of me, please ask. I do appreciate your time and energy.
mbuszu, did not want you to think that I had forgotten you, I was merely giving others the opportunity to respond. From what I have read of your post you sound sincere in what you are attempting to do and are to be commended for that, you're offering a service that will bring many together. As long as you keep it true in your heart you should do well.
Do not underestimate your own powers of prayer, if it comes from the heart, it is true. Good luck in your venture.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,787,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
As in the past, I have said that we are teachers and storytellers and this is how we learn, I remember an ancient story from long ago and I wish to share this story with you, it is a long one, so be patient.

This is a story about an old lady from the Cree tribe, named Eyes of Fire, who prophesied that one day because of man's ( Yo-ne-gis) greed, there would come a time when the fish would die in the streams, the birds would fall from the air, the waters would be blackened, and the trees would no longer be, mankind as we would know it, would all but ceased to exist.

There would come a time when the "keepers of the legend, stories, culture rituals, and myths, and all the Ancient Tribal Customs" would be needed to restore us to health. They would be mankind's key to survival, they were the "Warriors of the Rainbow".

There will come a day of awakening when all the peoples of all the tribes would form a New World of Justice, Peace, Freedom and recognition of the Great Spirit. The "Warriors of the Rainbow" would spread these messages and teach all peoples of the Earth. They would teach them how to live the "Way of the Great Spirit".

They would tell them of how the world today has turned away from the Great Spirit and that is why our Earth is "Sick". The "Warriors of the Rainbow"would show the peoples that this "Ancient Being" (the Great Spirit), is full of love and understanding, and teach them how to make the Earth beautiful again.

These Warriors would give the people principles or rules to follow to make their path right with the world. These principles would be those of the Ancient Tribes. The Warriors of the Rainbow would teach the people of the ancient practices of Unity, Love and Understanding. They would teach of Harmony among people in all four corners of the Earth.

Like the Ancient Tribes, they would teach the people how to pray to the Great Spirit with a love that flows like the beautiful mountain stream, and flows along the path to the ocean of life. Once again, they would be able to feel joy in solitude and in councils. They would be free of petty jealousies and love all mankind as their brothers, regardless of color, race or religion. They would feel happiness enter their hearts, and become as one with the entire human race. Their hearts would be pure and radiate warmth, understanding and respect for all Mankind, Nature, and the Great Spirit.

They would once again fill their minds, hearts, souls, and deeds with the purest of thoughts. They would seek the beauty of the Master of Life-the Great Spirit! They would find strength and beauty in prayer and the solitudes of life. Their children would once again be able to run free and enjoy the treasures of Nature and Mother Earth.

Free from the fears of toxins and destruction, frought by the Yo-ne-gis and his practices of greed. The rivers would again run clear, the forests would be abundant and beautiful, the animals and birds would be replenished. The powers of the plants and animals would again be respected and conservation of all that is beautiful would become a way of life.

The poor, sick and needy would be cared for by their brothers and sisters of the Earth. These practices would again become a part of their daily lives. The leaders of the people would be chosen in the old way-not by their political party, or who could speak the loudest, boast the most, or by name-calling or mudslinging, but by those whose actions spoke the loudest. Those who demonstrated their love, wisdom, and courage and those who showed that they could and did work for the good of all, would be chosen as the leaders or Chiefs.

They would be chosen by their "quality" and not the amount of money they had obtained. Like the thoughtful and devoted "Ancient Chiefs", they would understand the people with love, and see that their young were educated with the love and wisdom of their surroundings.

They would show them that miracles can be accomplished to heal this world and its ills, and restore it to health and beauty. The tasks of these "Warriors of the Rainbow" are many and great.

There will be terrifying mountains of ignorance to conquer and they shall find prejudice and hatred. They must be dedicated, unwavering in their strength, and strong of heart. They will find willing hearts and minds that will follow them on this road of returning "Mother Earth" to beauty and plenty-once more.

The day will come, it is not far away. The day that we shall see how we owe our very existence to the people of all Tribes that have maintained their culture and heritage. Those that have kept the rituals, stories, legends and myths alive. It will be with this knowledge, the knowledge that they have preserved, that we shall once again return to "Harmony" with Nature, Mother Earth, and mankind.

It will be with this knowledge that we shall find our "Key to our Survival".

My brothers and sisters, does this not sound familiar and should we not be seriously think about this. This was a story that was handed down many, many ages ago.
My heart cries out for our Mother Earth. May we tenderly care for her as well as all her inhibitants. In order for the human race to survive, we as people living on Earth today have no other choice but to evolve and become One again.

Thank you for this story.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:47 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,957 times
I have come to sit in the Sacred Circle. I am afraid that I have been outside of the circle today and I need a place to find peace and rest.

I will share a story...

THE STARFISH

Once upon a time there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do
his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began
his work. One day he was walking along the shore. As he looked down
the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to
himself to think of someone who would dance to the day. So he began to
walk faster to catch up. As he got closer, he saw that it was a young
man and the young man wasn't dancing, but instead he was reaching down
to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the
ocean.

As he got closer he called out, "Good morning! What are you doing?"

The young man paused, looked up and replied, "Throwing starfish in the
ocean."

"I guess I should have asked, why are you throwing starfish in the
ocean?"

"The sun is up, and the tide is going out, and if I don't throw them in
they'll die."

"But, young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of
beach, and starfish all along it. You can't possibly make a
difference!"

The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another
starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves and said,
"It made a difference for that one."

-- Author Unknown

-- Story based on a poem titled "The Difference He Made" by Randy Poole

Old 05-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Two Seagulls watched the man throw the Starfish back in the ocean, and one of them said "There goes our lunch", and the other one said "Don't worry about it. Sit back and enjoy the Dance. Those Starfish will be back on the beach when the next tide comes in."

Old 05-03-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Two Seagulls watched the man throw the Starfish back in the ocean, and one of them said "There goes our lunch", and the other one said "Don't worry about it. Sit back and enjoy the Dance. Those Starfish will be back on the beach when the next tide comes in."
Oh, Fat Freddy, tomorrow the dance will begin again...

Old 05-03-2008, 11:31 PM

It is late. I can't imagine why I am still awake. Tonight I will tend the fire while everyone else rests.

<>< weather...

Old 05-04-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post

Tonight I will tend the fire while everyone else rests...
I would sit with you by the Sacred Fire.

But I already toasted all my marshmallows.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I would sit with you by the Sacred Fire.

But I already toasted all my marshmallows.
Thanks for the thought anyway, Fat Freddy.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:54 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Thanks for the thought anyway, Fat Freddy.
Know that you did not sit there alone, others have been silently sitting with you throughout the night and day, be well my sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality