Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 06:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
there will be trouble so long as people show little or no love or emphathy for others especially those who do not belive exactly as they do be we atheists, Christians, Hindu, Muslim or pagan. as long as political agenda are the reasons we are supporting or denying god/spirituality claims there will always be trouble.
Not everything or everyone has a political agenda. Not everyone looks at things through their political glasses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 10:13 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Unfortunately these who profess that Christians are good people because they have agape love show little or no love or emphathy for others especially those who do not belive exactly as they do.

I also see in a Google search that agape live is important to Christians especially plus you need a God to understand it. Sorry but there is just to much division already in the World to imply that we must act like Christians to make the world better. No we need to act like rational, kind, gracious loving, anti hate and empathetic individuals.be we atheists, Christians, Hindu, Muslim or pagan. And act and behave like it not just proclaim that you do. You not being you personally but ever one, including myself
I agree almost totally with you - very few Christians actually act like Christ.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Not everything or everyone has a political agenda. Not everyone looks at things through their political glasses
In fact, I say most atheist don't answer god claims with a political agenda. But you and this site aint one of them. and you didn't address what I said in full. You picked on part of it.

I use the reaction to "something more" or the "the biosphere matches life more than non life" as the measuring device to tell me if somebody is leaning political. Both statement are completely in line with how the universe works and science/engineering. They are clearly very valid positions.

Its not the answer to that statement that gives us the clue. Its how you answer those statements.

What is your gut reaction to those statements?

"they muddy the waters and it will make fighting religion in the united states harder."

or

"do they match how the universe works."

and, what position is more healthy in forming a belief? in evaluating claims about what god might be?

"lest compare their claims to science and the universe."

or

"My primary goal is to stop religion (or just Christianity) in the united states."

Old 07-09-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
yuppers ... and all Christians act just like people.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:04 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Don't the Germans have a name for it?
Schadenfreude.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:25 AM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Love is not a stable emotion, that is why so many of us fail in showing Absolute love. And it does nothing to help the world. Acting out of kindness is what will save us and save the world. Kindness is innate. Love is an idea Hallmark has marketed handsomely.
The Absolute Consciousness is love, it is a quality that is only intuited by our self. It cannot be commercialized, not for sale.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:05 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Love is not a stable emotion, that is why so many of us fail in showing Absolute love. And it does nothing to help the world. Acting out of kindness is what will save us and save the world. Kindness is innate. Love is an idea Hallmark has marketed handsomely.
The Absolute Consciousness is love, it is a quality that is only intuited by our self. It cannot be commercialized, not for sale.
I'm pretty sure that dogs do not or even cannot read Hallmark cards yet they are the ultimate love machines. And surprisingly enough many of them exceed many humans when it comes to emphathy.

Kindness is great but without emphathy one may only show kindness towards ones they know, or like or are like them. You must have kindness to have emphathy towards others but it forwards kindness towards ones not like oneself.

Whatever it may be called we need to shed all those things that categorize us into different groups, religious, non religious, political, language, ethnic, nationally and see we all live in the same world and help those that need it helps everyone that are less needy. It's not more Jesus more atheism, more liberal or conservative but just plain more decency to all and an understanding of how we perpetrate some inequality and injustice in our community, our state or province, in our country or in our World and show real emphathy, love and kindness to all. And to also appreciate the goodness, the beauty and the diversity we already have. Sometimes we just need to be more like some of the dogs in the World. You might not believe how long it to my one dog to lie down with our cats in front of the fireplace in a way as to not disturb the cats. Not like my other dog who would plan her belly flop upon the cats in a manner as to do the maximum disturbance upon them, winter after winter after winter.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 AM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that dogs do not or even cannot read Hallmark cards yet they are the ultimate love machines. And surprisingly enough many of them exceed many humans when it comes to emphathy.

Kindness is great but without emphathy one may only show kindness towards ones they know, or like or are like them. You must have kindness to have emphathy towards others but it forwards kindness towards ones not like oneself.

As much as dogs display almost human feelings with their beautiful eyes, their behavior is also a subject of scientific inquiry as to how they convey emotions with facial nerves, developed through evolution and self-survival. They can be unfortunately also trained to fight and attack. All said and done all animals display a sense of basic decency that is quite amazing, and reminds us that we are all of the same substance, kins, at the basic level of our self.
I often feel sorry for dogs raised as pets. These are animals that have strong bodies, and muscles, and teeth, intelligence, they herd animals and hunt. Yet here they are as your pets so dependent on us for their very basic needs to eat and to poop. They lack purpose. That is just me venting, sorry.

In it's very essence kindness IS empathy. Love on the other hand is selfish, even for your dog. I am not sure kindness is only shown to those you know. The world is full of examples of the generosity and kindness shown by people who have very little themselves. If there is divinity, that is it personified.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Whatever it may be called we need to shed all those things that categorize us into different groups, religious, non religious, political, language, ethnic, nationally and see we all live in the same world and help those that need it helps everyone that are less needy. It's not more Jesus more atheism, more liberal or conservative but just plain more decency to all and an understanding of how we perpetrate some inequality and injustice in our community, our state or province, in our country or in our World and show real emphathy, love and kindness to all. And to also appreciate the goodness, the beauty and the diversity we already have. Sometimes we just need to be more like some of the dogs in the World. You might not believe how long it to my one dog to lie down with our cats in front of the fireplace in a way as to not disturb the cats. Not like my other dog who would plan her belly flop upon the cats in a manner as to do the maximum disturbance upon them, winter after winter after winter.
"dogs are the ultimate love machines." Thats what rational people are up against. thats why this will only end in war.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:50 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Love arises from the desire to possess. We fall in love with a person because we want to possess that beauty, the youth, the person himself, we want them for ourselves, and want them To return our love in full measure and never leave us. There is no pure love with a selfish desire such as that. And all love is about relationships, our children, siblings, friend, individuals and it is out of desire to possess. When it is thwarted we feel the pain in our body, our heart breaks. We feel many emotions then, none of it love, it flees, replaced by Revenge, rage, betrayal, anger, sorrow and none of them make us whole. Especially not love.

What we need in this world then is kindness. Kindness is not a feeling, it is an act. Buddha never talked about love, he spoke of karuna, merciful kindness. It is non-violent. You don’t possess anything, you give it away. Kindness arises from a sense of recognizing the humanity within each of us. Who rejects kindness. And if our kindness is rejected, as love can be, there is no frustration because nothing was expected.

Your thoughts?
I disagree. To me, love arises from the desire to give. Now "falling in love" may be different in some respect, but if you're truly in love with someone, wouldn't your desire be to give of yourself in such a way that it would make that person's life happier? To put that person's wants and needs above your own? Kindness and compassion are acts that have their source in love for others, IMO. If kindness and compassion come from any other source, it seems to me that they would not be genuine. We show our true colors when we our kindness and compassion extends to those who cannot help us in any way or who are not in a position to retaliate or fight back when mistreated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality