Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 08:58 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,768,374 times

Advertisements

Amazing to see all this still being captured by the Hubble telescope.

Hubble telescope delivers stunning 30th birthday picture

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52106420

As I looked through these incredible images, I got to wondering what God was doing out there beginning some 13+ billion years ago and still today. Does anyone have a theory what all that's about? Is all that the real show and we're just a mere commercial break along the way? Was all that begun so long ago just for us humans even if we weren't around to enjoy any of it until just recently? Not sure I know how to make sense of it all. Or is that when we're supposed to assume Intelligent Design...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 09:07 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,061,313 times
Psalm 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork."

He made it because it glorifies him. It shows his true glory and power.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Psalm 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork."

He made it because it glorifies him. It shows his true glory and power.
Given what little we know about the universe and all we see in pictures like these, it does seem god is something of an over-achiever. That or there is perhaps evidence of something else going on. Another explanation even more incredible!

Old 04-24-2020, 09:54 AM

159 posts, read 54,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I got to wondering what God was doing out there beginning some 13+ billion years ago...
It seems that time is a construct created for mankind. It seems that we are incapable of understanding anything else. We are certainly not remotely capable of understanding the magnitude of our creator.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Given what little we know about the universe and all we see in pictures like these, it does seem god is something of an over-achiever. That or there is perhaps evidence of something else going on. Another explanation even more incredible!
Yes. He is. He is God. Of course he's an overachiever.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDawg View Post
It seems that time is a construct created for mankind. It seems that we are incapable of understanding anything else. We are certainly not remotely capable of understanding the magnitude of our creator.
Time is a construct created FOR mankind or BY mankind?

We've been incapable of understanding many a thing during our short time here on Earth that we are now quite capable of understanding, and what we've come to understand is that what we thought was god's doing wasn't god's doing at all. My sense is that we'll continue to evolve our understanding along the same lines well into the future. That is until man goes the way of the dinosaurs one way or another, sooner or later.

The god concept along with all the others will go with us when that time comes too...

Old 04-24-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Yes. He is. He is God. Of course he's an overachiever.
Why?

Our simple solar system was plenty enough for us to be in awe of his work a short time ago. Just one galaxy would very well serve. Why all the rest and then all the rest beyond that? Far beyond our ability to even see or explore? What's the point?

Right?

Who knows any better than why all the other stuff, good, bad and ugly is going on?

Don't know = God (as some might put it).

Old 04-24-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Why?

Our simple solar system was plenty enough for us to be in awe of his work a short time ago. Just one galaxy would very well serve. Why all the rest and then all the rest beyond that? Far beyond our ability to even see or explore? What's the point?

Right?

Who knows any better than why all the other stuff, good, bad and ugly is going on?

Don't know = God (as some might put it).
Maybe because he wanted to go so over and beyond anything we'd imagine. Here we are in 2020 and we're amazed, maybe even more so than the man looking at the night sky in 3000 BC.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Maybe because he wanted to go so over and beyond anything we'd imagine. Here we are in 2020 and we're amazed, maybe even more so than the man looking at the night sky in 3000 BC.
If for us, why all that time before we even appear on the scene?

Estimated age of the universe, 13.8 billion years. Time of man on Earth, ~200,000 years.

Something awfully odd about that, don't you think?

Old 04-24-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
If for us, why all that time before we even appear on the scene?

Estimated age of the universe, 13.8 billion years. Time of man on Earth, ~200,000 years.

Something awfully odd about that, don't you think?
Because it makes us look with wonder.

Having said all that....I honestly don't know. I just know it testifies to his grandeur. I recall Billy Graham being asked once if there was a possibility of other intelligent life in the universe. Maybe he did create other intelligent life in the universe. I don't know. I can only look at what we do know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality