Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 09:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
exactly.
there is a lot that "science" does not understand.
it is a broad sweeping swath.

the scope of science to explain is limited. we are in agreement.
that doesn't prove things like a man dying and rising for our sins is true. Or that a deity thing is reaching down and changing our lives based on a specific religion.

In fact, these "medical miracles" show the opposite. If a deity is controlling us it is not based on any one religion.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:22 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you guys are going round and round.

Its real simple, there are medical "miracles" every day. By definition they are "supernatural" because they do not know how the body fixed itself. But, like you said ... The fact is though the body fixed itself using the natural laws.

Even with that, it does not show a christian deity is the most reliable choice of "deity controlled universe". It is not a reason to push a man dying and rising for our sins as reliable.
The Christian deity is the most improbable explanation yet the religious claim supernatural as the first cause before any other plausible explanations. Why is that? Why is it that every mysterious or unexplained event is automatically supernatural. I have never heard a believer once say, well I don’t know how that happened.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:28 AM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
that doesn't prove things like a man dying and rising for our sins is true. Or that a deity thing is reaching down and changing our lives based on a specific religion.In fact, these "medical miracles" show the opposite. If a deity is controlling us it is not based on any one religion.
there is a mechanism behind everything we see.
including miracles.
it is up to each person the extent to which we seek to understand, explore, discover, verify, experiment with, and utilize that process and mechanism.

they either do it themself hands-on, or they let other people do their thinking for them "one day science will know" "one day science will tell us what to believe"

Old 08-27-2020, 09:48 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Then what do we go by to know if something supernatural happened or not?

How do I convince you that I have a real life dragon living in my garage?
I had a real life dragon living in my guest bedroom. I had to feed it live crickets!

Old 08-27-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
there is a mechanism behind everything we see.
including miracles.
it is up to each person the extent to which we seek to understand, explore, discover, verify, experiment with, and utilize that process and mechanism.

they either do it themself hands-on, or they let other people do their thinking for them "one day science will know" "one day science will tell us what to believe"
great notions trazph ... lets apply them to a real time example.

"a man died and rose for our sins."

How does " ... it is up to each person the extent to which we seek to understand, explore, discover, verify, experiment with, and utilize that process and mechanism ..." prove it?

Old 08-27-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
The Christian deity is the most improbable explanation yet the religious claim supernatural as the first cause before any other plausible explanations. Why is that? Why is it that every mysterious or unexplained event is automatically supernatural. I have never heard a believer once say, well I don’t know how that happened.
I have no idea. I mean I am dumb founded at the two candidates we have to choose from. There is plenty of ignorant (as in not smart enough) to go around.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
great notions trazph ... lets apply them to a real time example.
"a man died and rose for our sins."
How does " ... it is up to each person the extent to which we seek to understand, explore, discover, verify, experiment with, and utilize that process and mechanism ..." prove it?
i have no interest in the "example" you have provided. it means nothing to me.

the examples i gave earlier (spontaneous remission, told less than 6 months to live, told never would walk again) are some examples being discussed in the context of "medical miracles," exploring the mechanism and process, and seeking to understand it and apply it in our daily life.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-27-2020 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-27-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
i have no interest in the "example" you have provided. it means nothing to me.

the examples i gave earlier (spontaneous remission, told less than 6 months to live, told never would walk again) are some examples being discussed in the context of "medical miracles," exploring the mechanism and seeking to understand it and apply it in our daily life.
so your notions do not support the claim that a man died and rose for our sins?

Old 08-27-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
There will always be limits to what we understand because we haven’t solved them yet. We have solved many unexplained phenomena since the beginning of man and we will continue to do so....
placebo effect was discovered quite by accident during scientific research when the "control group" that was given no medicine was found to show significant clinical improvement. the tests were repeated, the results were consistent. there were then additional experiments performed where the participants were told in the study "this isn't real medicine its a sugar pill" and there was still measured significant clinical improvement.

that is a concept, principle, and mechanism that clearly has beneficial and useful practical application. it is also the principle in homeopathy where "instructions for healing" and an "intention for healing" can be delivered to the body with effective results and measured changes to body chemistry, without taking any chemical substances (no chemical medicine).

so regarding "haven't solved them yet" such as placebo effect, does a person explore that mechanism further and seek to experiment with it in their own life? Or do they sit around and wait for science to tell them "what to believe" and "how to think."

in other words, in your own life, given the vast swath of "what science doesn't know yet" how actively do you explore, test, consider, observe, and seek to verify and validate on your own through hands-on participation? since fake medicine has been measured to have clinical effectiveness, even when the person knows it is fake medicine do you then consider and put into practical use that a person's "beliefs and thoughts and intention" can change their body chemistry.

how much on your own through hands-on participation do you seek to explore the mechanism and process behind that which "science does not know."

Old 08-27-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
placebo effect was discovered quite by accident during scientific research when the "control group" that was given no medicine was found to show significant clinical improvement. the tests were repeated, the results were consistent. there were then additional experiments performed where the participants were told in the study "this isn't real medicine its a sugar pill" and there was still measured significant clinical improvement.

that is a concept, principle, and mechanism that clearly has beneficial and useful practical application.

so regarding "haven't solved them yet" such as placebo effect, does a person explore that mechanism further and seek to experiment with it in their own life? Or do they sit around and wait for science to tell them "what to believe" and "how to think."

in other words, in your own life, given the vast swath of "what science doesn't know yet" how actively do you explore, test, consider, observe, and seek to verify and validate on your own through hands-on participation?
since fake medicine has been measured to have clinical effectiveness, even when the person knows it is fake medicine do you then consider and put into practical use that a person's "beliefs and thoughts" can change their body chemistry.

how much on your own through hands-on participation do you seek to explore the mechanicsm and process behind that which "science does not know." or do you sit around and wait for science to tell you how to think and what to believe.
you do know the placebo effects mean the deity isn't actually real real? right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality