Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 05:10 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, so I've been thinking about your question and have finally come up with an answer. I probably wouldn't change that much with respect to my interactions with other people, since I generally don't get any joy out of being mean or thoughtless. If I were to find out conclusively that God doesn't exist, that would, of course, mean that everything I've learned in a religious setting (i.e. within Mormonism) is also false. Since, as a Mormon, I'm not supposed to drink, but absolutely love wine, I'd be off the hook there. I'd also have a little more flexibility in what I wear, since modesty would no longer be an issue. On the other hand, at my age, I don't know that I'd want to be showing all that much skin off anyway.

On the negative side, I'd feel empty. Since I'd know that there was nothing after death, I'd be pretty despondent over that. I honestly wouldn't feel as if there was much meaning in my life.
Well, in Buddhism we tend to believe that there is rebirth...and that is without a god. I don't think it's necessarily true that for something beyond this life there has to be a god.

Thanks for your humor!

Last edited by phetaroi; 09-19-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 05:13 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
With no disrespect, but that is hypocrisy. Moral principles should be followed because they are coming from one's heart, not because of some religion rules. One, that is drunkard or frivolous in mind, is drunkard and frivolous. End of sentence. It is not the outer, that matters. It is inner, that is weighed on the scales, against a feather.

This is why I feel like a slave, being bound by rules, that I hate, but volunteered to burden myself with. Follow corporate whatever, can't say this or that, and so on. I hate myself for that.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
With no disrespect, but that is hypocrisy. Moral principles should be followed because they are coming from one's heart, not because of some religion rules. One, that is drunkard or frivolous in mind, is drunkard and frivolous. End of sentence. It is not the outer, that matters. It is inner, that is weighed on the scales, against a feather.

This is why I feel like a slave, being bound by rules, that I hate, but volunteered to burden myself with. Follow corporate whatever, can't say this or that, and so on. I hate myself for that.
I have no idea which post you're responding to.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:01 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, in Buddhism we tend to believe that there is rebirth...and that is without a god. I don't think it's necessarily true that for something beyond this life there has to be a god.
That's something I've never quite understood. How could that take place without the help of a Higher Power?

Old 09-19-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
That's something I've never quite understood. How could that take place without the help of a Higher Power?
I don't know. Just a natural process.

BTW, I'm not convinced of it either, even though I am Buddhist.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:06 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
I would answer that by saying the same way the higher power itself can exist.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I would answer that by saying the same way the higher power itself can exist.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:38 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
How then could a higher power simply "take place" without help from an even higher power? What is observed is that energy can neither be created or destroyed and so is apparently eternal; matter is one of the various forms that energy can take; and matter interacts with itself spontaneously in a process known as quantum mechanics. No "higher power" is observed at all.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
If there is no god then there is no me

Old 09-19-2020, 06:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
How then could a higher power simply "take place" without help from an even higher power? What is observed is that energy can neither be created or destroyed and so is apparently eternal; matter is one of the various forms that energy can take; and matter interacts with itself spontaneously in a process known as quantum mechanics. No "higher power" is observed at all.
not deity higher power at any rate. I think QM points to describing the system as "alive" matches what we see better than describing it not alive. It means there is something, it just aint no deity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality