Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2020, 02:30 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by let455_ View Post
How did the Christians change the scriptures through to make them fit the new story? This is the issue I had when growing and being taught that Christians or Paul or whoever changes the gospels to create a story that Jesus was a) divine b) spoke like he was divine C) died on the cross d) was ressurected and seen by the disciples
Paul does not change the OT as far as I know, but then he does not quote it too often. When he does, he takes relevant parts for his revealed theology, but I do not recall him changing the actual text he quotes.

He does tell us that his Jesus is revealed in the OT scripture or seen in visions, and says Jesus was a divine being, an angel who took human form and was crucified, and that Jesus appeared to the apostles (not disciples) as he had to Paul, which infers they also saw visions of Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by let455_ View Post
As muslims we are told he was just a prophet who had disciples and he was given a book and that he didn't say anything close to like he did in the gospels at least not the direct divine statements such as, "if you do not believe I am he you will die in your sin" or others such as, "he who has seen me has seen the father". Etc.

I never really understood or completely believed it. Where is the evidence they did so? Some people say they have (mostly Muslims) and then some say they haven't (mostly Christians) though new testament scholars like Bart Ehrman and Daniel Wallace claim the NT stories have been preserved. One a Christian (Daniel) and the other atheist (Bart). They are a few I've listened to and read a bit.

Then to Judaism as I've never given it much thought as i always thought it was wrong just on the belief that either of the other two were right. But yeah this is on topic. Circle of blame. Which passages did Christians change to fit their story if you can give examples it would be great.
It is not that the Christians changed the texts, it is that they invented the gospel narratives out of passages from the Septuagint, a Greek version of the OT. But the translation was not perfect.

The most obvious example is Jesus riding into Jerusalem with cloaks on both a donkey and a colt, which is taken from the Septuagint. They even quote the OT passage (Zech 9:9). I do not read Hebrew, so I had to look at the Jewish text using Biblehub.com, which talks about one animal - "... and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey". I believe this double mention is a Jewish method to emphasize, it is not referring to two animals.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 09-22-2020 at 03:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Jews don't get roasted for all eternity, and only those branches of Christians who like that idea do. Actually, they don't roast themselves, of course, they just enjoy the thought of others roasting.
A problem here is that Christian beliefs evolved out of other theologies, and the burning in hell idea may have come from a Jewish sect from over 2000 years ago that no longer exists. I am not an expert on Judaism from that time, but I do know there were many different Jewish sects with many different ideas. Temple / anti-Temple; resurrection / no resurrection; Sheol a resting place for the dead / Sheol were the dead people were punished or rewarded; or the different ideas about Gehenna.

Regardless of the history of the idea of Hell, I find the idea of eternal damnation an evil idea.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
A classic example of this biblical revisionism can be found in Romans 10:8 where Paul proclaims that he is quoting directly from Scripture as he records the words of Deuteronomy 30:14. Yet as he approaches the last portion of this verse, he carefully stops short of the Torah’s vital conclusion and expunges the remaining segment of this crucial verse. In Romans Paul writes,

But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart†(that is, the word of faith which we preach).

(Romans 10:8)
Predictably, the last words of Deuteronomy 30:14, “that you may do it,†were meticulously deleted by Paul. Bear in mind that he had good reason for removing this clause – the powerful message conveyed in these closing words rendered all that Paul was preaching as heresy.

This startling misquote in the Book of Romans stands out as a remarkable illustration of Paul’s ability to shape Scriptures in order to create the illusion that his theological message conformed to the principles of the Torah. By removing the final segment of this verse, Paul succeeded in convincing his unlettered gentile readers that his Christian teachings were supported by the principles of the Hebrew Bible. - https://outreachjudaism.org/original-sin/

Read the rest at the link, there is a lot more to consider....
Except Paul is not changing the passage, he is taking the relevant part for his revealed theology. “That you may do it,†would have been irrelevant because Paul is talking about what Christians should or should not say.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree this. In Romans particularly, I have seen several examples of Paul manipulating and quotemining out of context OT quotes (Torah, I should say) to fit his argument. There was one were Paul was arguing how God had (excuse me) turned from the Jews because they did not behave righteously, quoting about sacrificing in gardens on altars of brick. But that is referring to Gentiles, not to Jews.

Even if one argued that it was just an illustration, not evidential support, Paul is being very crafty.
It was normal to view the OT texts on different levels, so Paul (and the Dead Sea scroll authors) were not deliberately manipulating the OT texts, they were highlighting their theology revealed in those texts. While Paul was crafty in some areas such as where he got his gospel from, he appears to have been too emotional and full of fervor for his beliefs to have been deliberately manipulative. Paul takes the relevant part of scripture for his revealed theology because he is more religious than he is a con artist.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Very cool read. Thank you. I read Romans 10 again and I have to say, I am still trying to understand how that one clause could make such a difference to the meaning of the text or how its removal supports an inclination to sin.
Paul was talking about what Christians should or should not say and demonstrating this through revealed scripture. That clause was simply irrelevant because it is about doing, not speaking.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:11 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Paul was talking about what Christians should or should not say and demonstrating this through revealed scripture. That clause was simply irrelevant because it is about doing, not speaking.
Thank you, Harry. My feeling was that the author wants us to believe that Paul is unreliable because he left out a key part of a text and used specific quotes out of context for his purposes.

This brings another question to mind which is not limited to religion. When you quote another text, should a person take the context of the original text into consideration? If we did, we would continue to follow their line of thinking, or we would be forced to continue the line of thinking of those who claim authority over the interpretation of the text.

I do think religious text is imprecise in the sense that the relationship between words and sentences can be interpreted in different ways. And that is just being nice. When I read Romans, at times, I felt that there was no relationship between sentences. When placing those sentences together, the author made an assumption I am not fully aware of. Anyway, those are just my ramblings. I have to reread Romans again so that I can get an example. I may not have read carefully.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:18 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

wow

wow
'Dis supposed to be a serious discussion, Arach.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:37 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
They were instructed not to eat from that tree, Chava even said that to the serpent, so, she knew better, but, she did it anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Richard, how old were Adam and Eve when she consumed the good/bad pill/fruit?

hours? days? millennia?
Quote:
That’s a moot point...
Okay Richard, the way it sounds is god pre programmed certain things of good and bad in the adult babies brains, would you agree?

Old 09-22-2020, 04:41 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
so they didn't need the tree of "knowledge of good and bad" to know not to eat the fruit because it was BAD?

Did they need the tree to know that death was or was not a bad thing? Is death for A&E a bad thing Richard?

So what you are saying god only gave A&E *some* knowledge of good and bad?

what was the point of the tree Richard if the had some knowledge of good and bad?
Quote:
It was a test...The knowledge of good and bad is different from being told to not do something and then doing it anyway...
Is your god all knowing Richard?

Why does you all knowing god not know what will happen?

Old 09-22-2020, 04:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Thank you, Harry. My feeling was that the author wants us to believe that Paul is unreliable because he left out a key part of a text and used specific quotes out of context for his purposes.

This brings another question to mind which is not limited to religion. When you quote another text, should a person take the context of the original text into consideration? If we did, we would continue to follow their line of thinking, or we would be forced to continue the line of thinking of those who claim authority over the interpretation of the text.

I do think religious text is imprecise in the sense that the relationship between words and sentences can be interpreted in different ways. And that is just being nice. When I read Romans, at times, I felt that there was no relationship between sentences. When placing those sentences together, the author made an assumption I am not fully aware of. Anyway, those are just my ramblings. I have to reread Romans again so that I can get an example. I may not have read carefully.
yuppers. "That's a bad set of wheels you got there dog." How would that be translated? let alone followed by something talking about the chick sitting in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality