Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 02:43 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
All that David Hume could understand was his human perspective.
Agreed. But what's the point of that declaration? Are you suggesting that you (or anyone else on this forum, or planet) are able to understand the inhuman perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 03:07 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
But what about Jesus? Atheists apply the same analysis to Jesus that they do to Grannie Firkle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, we are consistent. That is good.
Exactly. Why wouldn't we (...apply the same analysis/criteria)??

To do otherwise suggests that (a) Grannie Firkle wasn't a very good example, and (b) there has already been a determination made that Jesus is special, and therefore warrants special consideration in this "logical" analysis. Put another way, we seem to be working backwards from a foregone conclusion.

Grannie Firkle's resurrection was observed by roughly the same number of people, and has now been written about. Not only that, but written about in something closer to real time, by at least one of the direct observers (as opposed to oral histories passed down in a decades-long game of "telephone" before they were committed to print, modified by politicial and theological needs along the way). If anything, Grannie's story may have slightly more credibility... though both are quite unlikely to have occurred as reported.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:58 PM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
Yes, the probability is 0% (for all intensive purposes). That is the point. It was a miracle. If it routinely happened, it wouldn't be much of a miracle then.

I don't understand the fixation on a particular person's buttocks, but am obviously (and probably thankfully) missing some history. :O) But is it true, that this person seems to have some beliefs that appear to be in-line with Native American's and the Spirit that is found in all things? Because if that is true, than I don't blame someone for feeling that is a bit hypocritical.

Anyway, I'm really not sure why this discussion isn't in the Christianity forum. I really don't think anyone on either side is going to convince someone either way.

It is a matter of faith. It was designed to be a matter of faith. Maybe it should stay there.

cd :O)

Old 10-05-2020, 04:31 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Converts who have a witness of God should know that God promised that He would send His Holy Spirit to all converts who would humble themselves and believe in Prayer, so many converts have a little witness of Holy Spirit and other converts have a lot of witness of Holy Spirit on their lives through the spirit ............. So the promise of Jesus death on the cross is the proof by the gifts of Holy Spirit of converts to Christianity, like these converts can believe that the resurrection happened because they have Holy Spirit on the spiritual space, to the point that they are a witness of the cross of Christ .......... Where the lost who ignore God and Jesus and Holy Spirit blaspheme the kingdom of God and will never see or have witness of any cross or God, as long as they ignore God

Old 10-05-2020, 06:43 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
It's possible but again we have no evidence for it. And we certainly have no convincing evidence of a resurrection.
Agreed. No convincing evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Yes, the probability is 0% (for all intensive purposes). That is the point. It was a miracle. If it routinely happened, it wouldn't be much of a miracle then.

Anyway, I'm really not sure why this discussion isn't in the Christianity forum. I really don't think anyone on either side is going to convince someone either way.

It is a matter of faith. It was designed to be a matter of faith. Maybe it should stay there.

cd :O)
Because it's a question of probability. The thread, that is. It followed on from a thread in the A&A sub-forum, discussing probabilities. I doubt that Christians would be interested in debating the probability so to me it's in the right place.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:06 PM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

Because it's a question of probability. The thread, that is. It followed on from a thread in the A&A sub-forum, discussing probabilities. I doubt that Christians would be interested in debating the probability so to me it's in the right place.
The probability thing was silly from the beginning.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:30 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
I say the probability the Resurrection really occurred is “very high.”
Ok now what do you get out of this? What does this do for you?

Old 10-05-2020, 08:19 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,861 times
What is the probability of an impossibility?

Old 10-05-2020, 08:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Ok now what do you get out of this? What does this do for you?
It lets him sleep easy at night -- knowing in his heart he is one of his god-thing's Most Special Snowflakes and most assuredly will be granted a greased chute into Eternal Bliss post gasping his last -- wherevereafter he can be a good little Jehovah toadie for all eternity.

If I believed that, I don't think I could ever stop throwing up.

Last edited by TroutDude; 10-05-2020 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Added a necessary ever

Old 10-05-2020, 08:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The probability thing was silly from the beginning.
Agreed, for several reasons.

The biggest reason is the impossibility of applying any sort of probability to miraculous events, rather than mundane events. We can all come up with reasonable probabilities for mundane items. What are the chances I own two cars? Plug in some info about my country, gender, marital status, etc, you can make a decent guess. What are the chances I am a married gay person? Again, throw some probabilities as to whether I am gay, and the prevalence of marriage amongst gay men, and a decent Bayesian analysis can be done.

But miracles throw all that out of the window, because the chance of a miracle is either 0% or 100%, depending on the existence of a god. It seems to me that Bayes simply isn’t applicable, because you are begging the question, and the one thing we are trying to get at simply cannot be analyzed in this way.

Trying to determine the probability of a miracle based upon our knowledge of the non-miraculous world is a category error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality