Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2020, 02:26 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Literally stating that one's "trigger" is a person saying "God told us that..." doesn't seem to be any bias?

Really?
I fully admit both sides have triggers. Both sides have bias.

How do we cancel that out (better stated as lessen as much as possible) so the middle of roader can, just doing the best they can, sort through it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 02:27 PM

1,402 posts, read 478,523 times
Quote:
Literally stating that one's "trigger" is a person saying "God told us that..." doesn't seem to be any bias?

Really?
No, that's not bias. It was merely an honest admission that some things get under my skin more than others, like pretty much everyone. Here, I'll give you some examples:

*If you told me I was going to "rot in hell" because of what I believe (or don't)... water off a duck's back.
*If you told me "your family's religion is the wrong one, because mine is the right one"... water off a duck's back.
*If you told me "your child can't get into heaven because he wasn't baptised before he died"... water off a duck's back.
*If you told me "the earth is only 6000 years old, and humans were placed here in current form around that same time, because that's how I interpret the Bible"... water off a duck's back.
*If you told me "my church doesn't allow gays or blacks to be members, or women to preach"... water off a duck's back.

Now, I find all of those statements to be highly offensive. And some wouldn't exactly sliiiiide off the duck's back. But I could laugh and/or shake my head at the silliness. That suggests I can handle a fair amount, without letting my "bias against religion" push me over the edge.

However, if you tell me that "the mind of God is unknowable, God works in mysterious ways, no one knows what God has in store for us, etc, etc"... and then turn around and tell me "here's exactly what God says and thinks and wants and expects.... in fact, here's a transcript!"..... I get a little taste of vomit in the back of my throat. What can I say, it's just the way I am?

Old 11-05-2020, 03:25 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
No, that's not bias. It was merely an honest admission that some things get under my skin more than others, like pretty much everyone. Here, I'll give you some examples:

*If you told me I was going to "rot in hell" because of what I believe (or don't)... water off a duck's back.
*If you told me "your family's religion is the wrong one, because mine is the right one"... water off a duck's back.
*If you told me "your child can't get into heaven because he wasn't baptised before he died"... water off a duck's back.
*If you told me "the earth is only 6000 years old, and humans were placed here in current form around that same time, because that's how I interpret the Bible"... water off a duck's back.
*If you told me "my church doesn't allow gays or blacks to be members, or women to preach"... water off a duck's back.

Now, I find all of those statements to be highly offensive. And some wouldn't exactly sliiiiide off the duck's back. But I could laugh and/or shake my head at the silliness. That suggests I can handle a fair amount, without letting my "bias against religion" push me over the edge.

However, if you tell me that "the mind of God is unknowable, God works in mysterious ways, no one knows what God has in store for us, etc, etc"... and then turn around and tell me "here's exactly what God says and thinks and wants and expects.... in fact, here's a transcript!"..... I get a little taste of vomit in the back of my throat. What can I say, it's just the way I am?
yupperz ... I poodled a little when i read that.

I feel like grabbing them and shouting ... The rock record is the only thing I know where god drew the pictures himself. Pictures to show himself to us.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:35 PM

1,402 posts, read 478,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

I feel like grabbing them and shouting ... The rock record is the only thing I know where god drew the pictures himself. Pictures to show himself to us.
But I'm afraid to ask what happens when you "poodle!?"

Old 11-06-2020, 12:08 AM

16,807 posts, read 5,003,423 times
Quote:
Our existence demonstrates a Creator exists.
A non sequitur and circular reasoning.

Quote:
The fact that the Creator has told us he exists, and what he expects of us is reason enough. But if you want to persist in your denial, there really is nothing I can do to force you to believe.
Other creators have 'told' others that they exist, that is why there are other religions. So maybe what these other creators have said are just man made.

Quote:
And to that 3 year old, Mom and Dad are quite abusive and tyrannical.

Or last week when I was at Walmart and a 3 year old was just going ballistic about some petty thing. Maybe she didn't get a piece of candy she wanted. I don't know. But to her, Daddy was the most horrible, rottenest, no-good tyrant that ever existed. I really wanted to give Dad an encouraging word and tell him to "hang in there". Every parent has had to deal with that.
As parents, we understand that point of view. But why are you trying to explain your god's point of view as if you know that view? It is as if you are projecting your personality onto the idea of a god.

Quote:
You're that 3 year old that. From your naive understanding, God is a tyrant. But you don't have a clue what exists outside your little world. So you huff and you puff and you badmouth God all day long on internet forums. Yay for you. Very productive. Way to contribute to society.
You also do not have a clue what exists outside our little world, so should you be lecturing people on what you admit you do not have a clue about? But we do have a clue about what exists in our little world, and compared to that, the god of the Bible is an immoral tyrant.

And when people point this out, you huff and you puff and you defend your immoral god idea all day long on internet forums. Yay for you. Very productive. Way to contribute to society.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:15 AM

2,962 posts, read 865,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
But I'm afraid to ask what happens when you "poodle!?"
It’s similar to plunking a dronker.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, he is NOT. He is assuming that what DOES exist IS God. That is a difference you refuse to acknowledge with your constant bleating about it.
No, his belief is that his god created what exists. You believe what exists is a god. If yo ucan not understand the difference, should you be lecturing others?

Old 11-06-2020, 03:02 AM

Quote:
We get it. You're biased against religion. Doesn't surprise anyone.
As usual, when you do not like the argument, you bring in an irrelevant excuse.

Quote:

Really?
You think these people really know the mind of a god?

Really?

Old 11-06-2020, 07:17 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
As usual, when you do not like the argument, you bring in an irrelevant excuse.
and when presented with a relevant statement, you choose to shrug it off and claim non-sequitur.
Quote:

You think these people really know the mind of a god?

Really?
Yes. Why don't you?

You think the Creator of the universe would not want to communicate with his Creation?

Old 11-06-2020, 08:04 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
I fully admit both sides have triggers. Both sides have bias.

How do we cancel that out (better stated as lessen as much as possible) so the middle of roader can, just doing the best they can, sort through it?
Scientifically validated evidence and logical reasoning, applied whether we like the results or not.

Quote:
agreed. He saw that when we look at his god traits with emotion, causing needles suffering is wrong, his description begins to fail. It actually failed so quick he had to take another route. He saw that.

now we address it from the "lets assume suffering is not right or wrong.". It ends in the same place.

Its called converging evidence. Two different paths end in the same spot. It just makes the claim more reliable or less reliable when the two different mechanisms do end/don't end in the same predicted outcome.

If we use that hypothesis we end up with a god that didn't know that it wouldn't work and had to 'take another route'.

This is the 'Why didn't God start with Noah' apologetic. It means that IT - god is not the god claimed by Christianity and cannot be.

Atheism cannot be sure there is no god, but we can be sure it isn't That one.

Quote:

By 'god' you mean 'nature' I presume. A 'god' has intelligence and will or it's 'natural forces'...until someone demonstrates the will and intelligence.

But again we are drifting of the 'we need religion...true or not' apologetic to the 'gaps for god' apologetic, or fallacy, rather. Let's return to topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality