Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 01:34 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,777 times

Advertisements

This thread isn’t about the Resurrection per se, which is why I didn’t place it in the Christianity forum. The Resurrection happens to be a favorite topic of militant atheists who like to ridicule Christianity as being only for credulous dolts (“Corpses don’t just get up and fly away”), so I will use it to make my larger points.

In other threads, Transponder has chided me and other believers for wanting to focus on “how we think about the evidence” rather than on “the evidence.” Harry Diogenes has beaten the drum of Bayesian probability analysis, despite folks as diverse as Richard Dawkins, Michael Shermer, a professor at Cornell University who is a Ph.D. in Statistics and our beloved Irkle telling him that this approach just doesn’t work in analyzing metaphysical claims.

Bayes’ Theorem is used to analyze the probability of a hypothesis (“Jesus rose from the dead”) in terms of a given body of data. The result is the ratio of “the unconditional probability of the conjunction of the hypothesis with the data to the unconditional probability of the data alone.” Huh? Irkle, unlike Harry, doesn’t claim to be a Bayesian whiz kid, but here’s a good article if you’re interested: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/bayes-theorem/. This also is quite good: https://brilliant.org/wiki/bayes-theorem/.

Let’s say Irkle claims nothing special for Grannie Firkle except that her recipe for rhubarb pie was the envy of all the women in Ashtabula. Oh, wait, he does claim that when she died and had been entombed in 2004, shortly thereafter she rose bodily from the dead and ascended into the clouds to the astonishment of Irkle and his mother Twirkle.

Insofar as Grannie Firkle's resurrection is concerned, the evidence, whatever it may be, will be rather limited. The claims will be subject to fairly straightforward Bayesian analysis that takes into account the billions of other grannies and similarly ordinary folk who have not risen from the dead and ascended into the clouds.

Even though Irkle is convinced of what he saw, he’ll have to agree the Baysesian probability is pretty much zero. (Basically, a Baysesian ratio of 0 means false, while a ratio of 1 means true.) Nevertheless, Irkle may well say “Who cares about Bayesian probability? I know what I and Mama saw.” If all evidence suggests Irkle’s and Twirkle’s senses and faculties are operating properly, Irkle may be entirely justified in incorporating Firkle’s resurrection into his belief system even if no one else does so.

But what about Jesus? Atheists apply the same analysis to Jesus that they do to Grannie Firkle. This is precisely the mistake that the philosopher Hume made in his famous work on miracles. He analyzed miracles solely in terms of their likelihood given trillions of non-miraculous events and what he saw as the fixed laws of the universe. Indeed, Reverend Bayes arrived at his famous theorem in an effort to show the flaws in Hume’s reasoning. Virtually every philosopher now recognizes that Hume’s work, which was long regarded as the last word on miracles, is deeply flawed.

The Christian claim is that Jesus, unlike Grannie Firkle, was the one and only son of God and that his Resurrection was a unique event in human history. How would we apply Bayes’ Theorem to this?

We would have to proceed as Irkle has described his own spiritual quest. We would first have to decide between atheism, deism and theism. Evidence from many, many scientific disciplines is relevant to this question, as are vast bodies of non-scientific evidence as well as philosophical and theological arguments. We’d have to subjectively assign all sorts of probabilities to all sorts of evidence to arrive at a Bayesian ratio for the hypothesis “A theistic god exists” (or “doesn’t exist”). In almost every instance, this assignment would be largely subjective and influenced by personal biases and predispositions.

Assuming theism seemed to remain a viable option, we’d move on to a hypothesis like “Christianity is the most (or least) plausible theistic option.” This would involve a similarly complex and subjective Bayesian analysis (or pretense of one).

Assuming Christianity seemed to remain a viable option, we’d move on to a hypothesis like “The Resurrection occurred (or didn’t occur) as what would have been observable as a historical, real-world event.” This would involve a similarly complex and subjective Bayesian analysis (or pretense of one).

If I had concluded that theism had only a 2% likelihood of being correct, and Christianity had only a 4% likelihood of being the correct theistic explanation, by the time I got to the Resurrection the likelihood would be “It’s complete nonsense, not worth discussing.” If my likelihoods had been 98% and 98%, however, very little would be required for the Resurrection to be entirely plausible and I’d assigned high probabilities to every line of evidence.

Hence, one author applied Bayesian analysis to arrive at a 67% likelihood for the existence of God. Atheist Michael Shermer considered precisely the same lines of evidence and arrived at a likelihood of 2%. Shermer wisely deemed the exercise silly.

The point? This sort of “scientific analysis” is nonsense. It produces the illusion of “scientific certainty” where there is absolutely none. Religious belief or atheistic non-belief is a matter of personal conviction, not probability analysis.

But wait, there’s more: Someone like Harry arrives at his probabilities by insisting that all we’re allowed to consider is objective, scientifically verifiable evidence. This simply stacks the deck against religious claims. People make huge life decisions every day on the basis of whatever evidence, testimony, experience, arguments and inferences seem relevant to them, without regard to whether everything is objective and scientifically verifiable. Harry is certainly entitled to his approach, but it’s artificially restrictive.

Contrary to what Harry and Trans suggest, “how we think about the evidence” – what philosophers call epistemology – really is the central question. Atheists don’t get to set artificial rules for believers. We can’t have rational discussions on these forums because atheists and believers have entirely different epistemologies (meaning what constitutes knowledge and whether beliefs are rational and justified)
I say the probability the Resurrection really occurred is “very high.” Transponder and Harry say “very low.” Neither of which tells us anything about the Resurrection, even if Trans or Harry attempts to create the illusion of objectivity by assigning a Bayesian ratio. The issue with respect to the Resurrection is simply what evidence and arguments you deem relevant over a wide variety of disciplines and what convictions you reach at each stage of the inquiry.

I've read a number of books where Christian scholars debate the Resurrection with atheist scholars. I'm always surprised that the debate proceeds as though we were talking about Grannie Firkle, as though the issue were simply whether a first-century guy named Jesus rose from the dead and ascended into the clouds. Framed in this way, even I would agree with the atheists that the better conclusion is "No, he didn't." But as someone who has arrived at strong convictions regarding theism and Christianity, I can rationally look at the same evidence and say "I'm satisfied he did."

And that's why the vast majority of threads go round and round but never really go anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 03:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
The probability of the Resurrection is on a par with the probability that donkeys can speak Hebrew and a man can live inside a giant fish for three days.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:21 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
probabilities are based on known outcomes. Of course some assumptions are made. Anybody wanting to just dismiss the finding can hit the assumption.

this one is easy. How many people came back from dead dead, not thinking they were dead and weren't. That would be zero. !00% of people that died stayed dead.

what scares is when we can reanimated a person they will use that as evidence that it is possible.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 10-04-2020 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-04-2020, 03:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
In summary, Irkle allows Special Pleading for his preferred outcome. To his credit, he does state that he is doing so by assuming a theistic foundation for his epistemic beliefs.

Sure, if you start with religion as your basis of belief, more specifically the Christian religion as your basis of belief, of course the resurrection is going to make sense to you, and the possibility of a unique event is going to seem reasonable.

But what if a person, or a hypothetical dispassionate alien observer, knows nothing about religious or secular history or culture? If that person were suddenly provided complete access to all information regarding history and culture, what would convince them? Is an uninvolved observer more likely to adopt a secular basis of epistemology before considering the evidence, or a religious basis?

I suspect that a secular basis makes more sense, because the religious basis presupposes the outcome, while a secular basis is more closely related to evidence.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:45 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
I would say the probability of the resurrection would depend on the accuracy of the reports surrounding the alleged events. First of all, did the man even exist. I would say probably. Was he crucified? Again, probably. Is it even possible to survive crucifixion. Apparently yes. Is it possible to be presumed dead when in fact, not dead? Yes. This is a fairly common occurrence.

So from that perspective at least, the 'resurrection' of a crucified man would be possible. But is it possible that the stories of his resurrection were fabricated? Absolutely.

The ascension into heaven would be a convenient cover to explain why if he had returned from the dead, he wasn't around to prove it. That doesn't add to the likelihood of him surviving the crucifixion though. If anything it would point to him not having revived.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:08 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The probability of the Resurrection is on a par with the probability that donkeys can speak Hebrew and a man can live inside a giant fish for three days.
Do you use the same criteria to assess the probability of all claims?
Let’s try your question on something you believe...
Q: What is the probability that a rock can appreciate the heat of your buttocks?

Old 10-04-2020, 10:18 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I would say the probability of the resurrection would depend on the accuracy of the reports surrounding the alleged events. First of all, did the man even exist. I would say probably. Was he crucified? Again, probably. Is it even possible to survive crucifixion. Apparently yes. Is it possible to be presumed dead when in fact, not dead? Yes. This is a fairly common occurrence.
So from that perspective at least, the 'resurrection' of a crucified man would be possible. But is it possible that the stories of his resurrection were fabricated? Absolutely.
The ascension into heaven would be a convenient cover to explain why if he had returned from the dead, he wasn't around to prove it. That doesn't add to the likelihood of him surviving the crucifixion though. If anything it would point to him not having revived.
First of all, all the resurrections Jesus preformed were physical resurrections.
Except for his God resurrecting Jesus, all the other Bible resurrections are also physical resurrections.
God resurrected Jesus back to his pre-human spirit body but Jesus did Not ascend the day he was resurrected.
Jesus used different materialized bodies to appear to his followers after his God resurrected Jesus.- Luke 24:13-43
So, Jesus was around for a while to prove his resurrection before he ascended - Acts 1:9.

The accuracy of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 is accurate just as Jesus reported it would be on a grand-international scale.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Do you use the same criteria to assess the probability of all claims?
Let’s try your question on something you believe...
Q: What is the probability that a rock can appreciate the heat of your buttocks?
Your fascination with my buttocks is adorable but you really needn't gush about them in every thread.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:56 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
There is no scientific evidence or rational for the Resurrection. In fact, that is the entire point. Had Christ wanted to provide proof, he could have flown to Rome and sat down and talked to Caesar all about it. The entire point is Faith. So much so that Christ left behind no physical evidence at all. All we have is anecdotal evidence in the bible, and you either believe it or you don't.

I fully agree with your point IB, but it is irrelevant either way. There is not and cannot be evidence for or proof of the Resurrection, by design. All mathematical calculations following from that will always fail.

Old 10-05-2020, 02:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
It may look evasive of me to stay out of this thread (despite my having a dedicated thread on the subject) because it is a flawed approach, trying to use Bayes. What does Irkle say? 'Chided for not using the evidence'. What does he do? try to make is a 'likely or not?' matter.

That's not the evidence. The evidence (against) is the utter unreliability of the resurrection stories. To argue along the lines of :

'It is as likely that Jesus rose from the dead as not, all other evidence aside.'

'Miracles don't happen.'

'I could argue that, but if Jesus was a one -off son of God that could do miracles, then objecting that nobody else does them is irrelevant isn't it?'

'So you say it's a believe or not 50/50?'

''Better odds than that, because there is eyewitness testimony'.

That's the real argument. Isn't it? I'll make a very good case that the gospel resurrection isn't to be credited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality