Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 10:45 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't know where I got the fanaticism. My parents, especially my mama, were good people and not really religious at all.
Probably got it from the church, as an institution and the strong arm of religion. That's where most fall victim to it. The church has a need for zealousness and fanaticism, and is always protecting it's own (it's ideas, it's manipulations, etc.) It loves to pull out the old ways and old covenant with the vengeful God on a rampage.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-25-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 11:23 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't know where I got the fanaticism. My parents, especially my mama, were good people and not really religious at all. We had a bible in our house, but we didn't talk about religion much. As a matter of fact, my mama would take me to church and pick me up because I felt this impetus to go, even as a young child. When I started really getting fanatical in my mid-teens I remember her picking me up from church one day and me telling her that I had to start reading my bible all the time. She looked at me and said, "be careful, too much religion can make you crazy." LOL. I wish I'd listened then. I could have saved a lot of heartache for myself.
yuppers. My mom was strong catholic. all sorts of religious statues all over the place. I didn't believe as long as I can remember so I just say 9 years old.

I guess because I had good parents I don't blame religion. I only see bad people being bad people.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:54 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Probably got it from the church, as an institution and the strong arm of religion. That's where most fall victim to it. The church has a need for zealousness and fanaticism, and is always protecting it's own (it's ideas, it's manipulations, etc.) It loves to pull out the old ways and old covenant with the vengeful God on a rampage.
Perhaps. But I felt this drive to go even at 6, 7, 8 years old before I was even exposed much to it. I dunno.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:53 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When did the god-idea catch hold. This article has some thoughts on that:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/b...=pocket-newtab
Sadly I seem to have missed out, I can't see the article. It seems to have disappeared.

Fascinating to think though, there must have been a simpler time when people didn't spend half their life contemplating their own navels. LOL
I mean I doubt the rest of the animal kingdom give any thoughts to whether gods exist or not. They just exist in and with nature. We must have been like that as well.

If anybody can re-link the article I'd be interested to see it.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:16 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because God has told us. I make no apologies for that. God has revealed his will, and we know what he has said.
That's fine. For YOU. It's not at all fine for those of us who don't believe in your god.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:39 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's fine. For YOU. It's not at all fine for those of us who don't believe in your god.
You can choose to believe in God or not. His existence is not subject to your illogical beliefs.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:49 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
You can choose to believe in God or not. His existence is not subject to your illogical beliefs.
Nor it Its' existence validated by faith -claims. Never mind the god of any particular religion. You have it all to do, and you prefer to rely on faith -based denial.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Nor it Its' existence validated by faith -claims. Never mind the god of any particular religion. You have it all to do, and you prefer to rely on faith -based denial.
Meh. Whatever. Again. Truth really doesn't care about your feelings, or your desires. You can choose to believer whatever you want. But God exists, and he has told us what he wants. And he is good, and is willing to forgive anyone that comes to him through Jesus.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Meh. Whatever. Again. Truth really doesn't care about your feelings, or your desires. You can choose to believer whatever you want. But God exists, and he has told us what he wants. And he is good, and is willing to forgive anyone that comes to him through Jesus.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
See it does not matter when religion started as most people are still too wicked for the taste of God, where God has to fix people who do come to him and have their souls repaired for heaven
Is wickedness simply having a belief system different from yours, lacking a belief system or doing harm to others? If wickedness is not believing like you do I think you cheapened the meaning of the word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality