Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 10:30 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times

Advertisements

Good luck finding a secular planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 10:39 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So you believe that the 1st Amendment is theocratic in nature? Really? No one is telling us we have to attend worship.
This is how I see it.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Who exactly is asking for that?
Muslems?... - https://themuslimtimes.info/2020/11/...-sharia-law-2/

Old 11-27-2020, 11:45 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
For once (well actually there have been a few times), I am in total agreement with Mystic.

A good place to study this issue is in a country like Thailand, where about 95% of the population (and therefore the power structure) is Buddhist, while the other roughly 5% of the population is Muslim. And what's worse is that the Buddhist power structure is so mixed in with the secular power structure. You have monks blessing the police. You have monks blessing the military. You even have monks blessing weapons. And that all works fairly well for most of the population. But, particularly when you get down into the Deep South where most of the Muslim population lives, it doesn't work so well with these Buddhist-blessed police and soldiers who are controlling the Muslims. A really good, extreme example was a time many years ago when unrest in the South was boiling over, and the At least 78 people died from suffocation while being locked in military tractor-trailer type trucks after a violent demonstration, and another 6 were shot to death and about 20 were wounded during the demonstration back in 2004. It ushered in an even more violent time period.

A simple mismatch of cultures that spilled over into law and law enforcement.

Laws should be based on shared expectations of a culture. And that's a pretty broad perspective.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Sharia Law is not the OT Mosaic Law. But yes, there are pockets in a few cities with people advocating for it. Dearborn, MI comes to mind.
From where do you think sharia law derives?...I really wish that you would research before commenting...

Old 11-27-2020, 12:53 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Aren't some of the objections to same sex marrage and abortion based in religious arguments. When religious arguments are used to create or reject laws is that not the point of the OP?

I remember in 2005 our Prime Minister stating that he opposed SSM on religious grounds however when he looked at it from a human rights prespective he could no longer oppose it. There is bound to be bias on laws based on religion however good politicans should look at things from other prespectives so as to represent their citizens not just themselves.

In regards to Sharia Law , isn't it similar to Jewish Law or Roman Catholic law in that it only applies to members of that religion and then only to those who accept that addition set of rules. I think my cousins can get a divorce in Ontario but could, if they are religious also receive a Get. If I am correct I my assessment of Sharia Law , wouldn't banning it be an attack on religious freedom?

Old 11-27-2020, 01:26 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
From where do you think sharia law derives?...I really wish that you would research before commenting...
Oh, do tell, Mr. Wise Rabbi follower. Please.

Did you not realize I was actually agreeing with you, to a point. Yes. There are pockets of population that want Sharia Law. Do you mean to suggest that it is based on the OT Mosaic Law?

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 11-27-2020 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-27-2020, 01:54 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Aren't some of the objections to same sex marrage and abortion based in religious arguments. When religious arguments are used to create or reject laws is that not the point of the OP?

I remember in 2005 our Prime Minister stating that he opposed SSM on religious grounds however when he looked at it from a human rights prespective he could no longer oppose it. There is bound to be bias on laws based on religion however good politicans should look at things from other prespectives so as to represent their citizens not just themselves.

In regards to Sharia Law , isn't it similar to Jewish Law or Roman Catholic law in that it only applies to members of that religion and then only to those who accept that addition set of rules. I think my cousins can get a divorce in Ontario but could, if they are religious also receive a Get. If I am correct I my assessment of Sharia Law , wouldn't banning it be an attack on religious freedom?
Objecting to secular laws based on religious beliefs is unavoidable because we cannot control what individuals believe. Violating secular laws based on religious beliefs is not acceptable no matter what the reason. There is a specific problem with Islamic law (Sharia) because it does not recognize any such thing as secular law. In Islam, all law comes from God. Their accommodations to secular law are temporary until they achieve majority control over a country.

Old 11-27-2020, 01:55 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

And aren't some objections based on personal preference. What repulses one maybe just fine with another.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:00 PM

15,972 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Objecting to secular laws based on religious beliefs is unavoidable because we cannot control what individuals believe. Violating secular laws based on religious beliefs is not acceptable no matter what the reason. There is a specific problem with Islamic law (Sharia) because it does not recognize any such thing as secular law. In Islam, all law comes from God. Their accommodations to secular law are temporary until they achieve majority control over a country.

Muslim seem to accommodate quite well in the US and other secular democracies, and I don't think they are going to get majority control any time soon in the US and lay down Islamic laws. Israel is not a secular democracy either.
Nor is US entirely secular. We accommodate religion in many ways including property tax breaks for religious institutions and golf courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality