Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 07:21 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,647 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed is that Christians in Western civilizations never bring up the fact that Jesus taught specifically that the abundance of things a man possesses should be given to the poor.

Jesus talks about this in many verses such as Luke 12:15-21 And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” AND Luke 12:33-34 “Sell what you have and give alms" AND Mark 10:21 Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”

There are many other verses in Acts and John but you get the point. I don't see any Christians in the Western world giving up their second car or second or third TV. Instead of sacrificing like Jesus did they accumulate more and more material things. The ones that are really bad are the Christian leaders like Joel Olsteen. Net worth of over $60 million and flies around in a jet. Did Jesus really intend for Joel to live like that? Are people like him to egoistic to share their wealth? Are any of you Christians that have abundance of stuff willing to part out with the majority of their materialistic stuff in the name of Jesus? In fact I am sure that anyone in America could get rid of all of their possessions including their house and they would still be better off than any poor person that lives in a their world country.

This is how Jesus wants you to live but apparently no Western Christians are willing to suffer like Jesus has. They continue their support of wealth and pursuit of comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
One thing I have noticed is that Christians in Western civilizations never bring up the fact that Jesus taught specifically that the abundance of things a man possesses should be given to the poor.

Jesus talks about this in many verses such as Luke 12:15-21 And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” AND Luke 12:33-34 “Sell what you have and give alms" AND Mark 10:21 Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”

There are many other verses in Acts and John but you get the point. I don't see any Christians in the Western world giving up their second car or second or third TV. Instead of sacrificing like Jesus did they accumulate more and more material things. The ones that are really bad are the Christian leaders like Joel Olsteen. Net worth of over $60 million and flies around in a jet. Did Jesus really intend for Joel to live like that? Are people like him to egoistic to share their wealth? Are any of you Christians that have abundance of stuff willing to part out with the majority of their materialistic stuff in the name of Jesus? In fact I am sure that anyone in America could get rid of all of their possessions including their house and they would still be better off than any poor person that lives in a their world country.

This is how Jesus wants you to live but apparently no Western Christians are willing to suffer like Jesus has. They continue their support of wealth and pursuit of comfort.
Obviously, yes. Culture will play a large part of it. The prosperity Gospel is huge in the US. However, it's also huge in 3rd world countries. Word of Faith shysters make money hand over fist in Africa. Why? Because people are people and they love money.

Having said that, Jesus never actually condemned HAVING money. He condemned loving it more than God. There is nothing wrong with wealth. But the one that lies, cheats, steals, etc to get that money is wrong.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
That was a very good post. We at least seem to agree on religious scammery (there's always SOME common ground). I would just argue that you appear not to have read the passages about eternal life requiring giving all you have to the poor, before following Jesus.

Mar 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Obviously, yes. Culture will play a large part of it. The prosperity Gospel is huge in the US. Hoewever, it's also huge in 3rd world countries. Word of Faith shysters make money hand over fist in Africa. Why? Because people are people and they love money.

Having said that, Jesus never actually condemned HAVING money. He condemned loving it more than God. There is nothing wrong with wealth. But the one that lies, cheats, steals, etc to get that money is wrong.
Why?

Because believers are so gullible is a better answer prophet BFun..

Old 12-03-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That was a very good post. We at least seem to agree on religious scammery (there's always SOME common ground). I would just argue that you appear not to have read the passages about eternal life requiring giving all you have to the poor, before following Jesus.

Mar 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
I don't think Jesus is saying to sell everything and become homeless and poor. I don't think Jesus is against necessary basic things to live.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Obviously, yes. Culture will play a large part of it. The prosperity Gospel is huge in the US. However, it's also huge in 3rd world countries. Word of Faith shysters make money hand over fist in Africa. Why? Because people are people and they love money.

Another red herring argument from you. I never said anything about Jesus condemning having money. Jesus teaches his followers should sacrifice and give to the poor their excessive possessions. I don't see any Western Christians doing that in any capacity.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:56 AM

15,972 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Another red herring argument from you. I never said anything about Jesus condemning having money. Jesus teaches his followers should sacrifice and give to the poor their excessive possessions. I don't see any Western Christians doing that in any capacity.

These kind of sayings, which are in all religions not just Jesus, are aspirational. If we are all perfect we will all be Jesus or have attained Oneness. We are not, we are trainees.
I don't know if the Gates are Christians or what but they are inspiration themselves.

I think the OP is a red herring frankly. or a strawman. One or the other.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
You have never gone to a good church, then. I see that every week. I go to church with decent, honest, caring Christians who give out of their blessing.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:01 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
You have never gone to a good church, then. I see that every week. I go to church with decent, honest, caring Christians who give out of their blessing.
Glad you’re admitting the rest of the 30,000+ sects of your xianity are crappy churches loaded with scummy, indecent, dishonest non-caring christians prophet BFun..

You da man

Old 12-03-2020, 08:06 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Glad you’re admitting the rest of the 30,000+ sects of your xianity are crappy churches loaded with scummy, indecent, dishonest non-caring christians prophet BFun..

You da man

havin' a bad day bro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality