Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2021, 10:42 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Something avoided in the discussion on slavery, in much of the world it was indeed white Christians, Diets and people of no religion who abolished slavery. No civil war, no outbreak of runaway slaves just humans, primarily white because they made up the vast majority of citizens, who decided it was wrong or unprofitable and passed laws in Parliament to ban it.

Or that Hati, a country with a strong non Christian component that abolished slavery and citizens of Hati were primarily blacks and people of colour.

Religion may have played a direct and indirect roles in abolishing slavery however religion was also a component fighting to keep slavery going. The objective truth about religion and slavery was it was on both sides of the issue hence in my opinion it was not religion but a growing sense of morality that brought it's end , broadly speaking as I do realize slavery of various types unfortunately still exists in the World today.
I think so. In fact anyone of that moral mindset argued or worked for emancipation. Of whatever race or religion (or not - not that there was too much atheism about in those days) and only religion (so far as I know) tried to pretend that they should get all the credit while ignoring or denying that Slavery could justify it from the Bible, every time, while the emancipation movement rather more appealed to human equality. A humanist value.

Not that I am wanting to belittle the efforts o those who Were religious. There are various ways of freeing slaves; one can pick up a musket and end it all once and for all, or one can go to the slave market, purchase one and let him go free while the slave owner pockets the money. They are both equally deserving of praise, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 07:45 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I don't deny the efforts of abolitionists' role in the history of American slavery. The efforts that Black people themselves made to free themselves, at great cost to their life and liberty, is the most important aspect of it and should not be obscured. But you are right, for a small community, the Quaker abolitionists showed great courage and support for their freedom, as did others.
I hope I wasn't and don't think I was diminishing the role of slaves in freeing themselves. However, many white people died freeing slaves or played a role risking themselves too.

I think the whole truth should be portrayed. That it was a team effort of many people from all sorts of backgrounds.

I think it would be a mistake to downplay any group's effort and to downplay the team effort angle.

The country right now needs whole stories of teamwork with all of the political division in 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think so. In fact anyone of that moral mindset argued or worked for emancipation. Of whatever race or religion (or not - not that there was too much atheism about in those days) and only religion (so far as I know) tried to pretend that they should get all the credit while ignoring or denying that Slavery could justify it from the Bible, every time, while the emancipation movement rather more appealed to human equality. A humanist value.

Not that I am wanting to belittle the efforts o those who Were religious. There are various ways of freeing slaves; one can pick up a musket and end it all once and for all, or one can go to the slave market, purchase one and let him go free while the slave owner pockets the money. They are both equally deserving of praise, I suppose.
There is truth in what you are saying, but the abolitionist movement grew rapidly because of Christianity undergoing the Second Great Awakening and devout Christians like Harriet Beecher Stowe's book Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Quote:
Historians believe ideas set forth during the religious movement known as the Second Great Awakening inspired abolitionists to rise up against slavery. This Protestant revival encouraged the concept of adopting renewed morals, which centered around the idea that all men are created equal in the eyes of God.
LINK

American Christian history is a hobby of mine...and I have lots of time on my hands right now!

Old 02-27-2021, 07:50 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Somehow when i think of abolitionists, I think of Fredrick Douglas. Harriet Tubman. Sojourner Truth. I never ever think of Quakers.
Ha, and when I think of abolitionists, I think of John Brown and his crew and Emerson and Alcott and the Grimke sisters (who left their slave-owning family and became Quakers) and Lydia Maria Child, as well as the people you mentioned, and yes, of course the Quakers overall.

It may be wherever you live. In central and south New Jersey and Pennsylvania, the Quakers had a presence and were known to be involved in abolitionist activities. They still have a presence, although a much smaller one these days, but are still very anti-war and speak out about human rights. There is a Meeting about a mile from my house.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I hope I wasn't and don't think I was diminishing the role of slaves in freeing themselves. However, many white people died freeing slaves or played a role risking themselves too.

I think the whole truth should be portrayed. That it was a team effort of many people from all sorts of backgrounds.

I think it would be a mistake to downplay any group's effort and to downplay the team effort angle.

The country right now needs whole stories of teamwork with all of the political division in 2021.

There is truth in what you are saying, but the abolitionist movement grew rapidly because of Christianity undergoing the Second Great Awakening and devout Christians like Harriet Beecher Stowe's book Uncle Tom's Cabin.

LINK

American Christian history is a hobby of mine...and I have lots of time on my hands right now!
The history of the abolitionists, particularly John Brown, fascinates me. My subject of my long-suffering historical novel that I will probably never finish is slavery and the abolitionist movement just before the Civil War. One of my main characters is a Quaker.

Human rights is indeed an objective truth for the Friends.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:

nipped for space ...
21 million believers in some thing stopped 7 million million believers.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:37 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, and when I think of abolitionists, I think of John Brown and his crew and Emerson and Alcott and the Grimke sisters (who left their slave-owning family and became Quakers) and Lydia Maria Child, as well as the people you mentioned, and yes, of course the Quakers overall.

It may be wherever you live. In central and south New Jersey and Pennsylvania, the Quakers had a presence and were known to be involved in abolitionist activities. They still have a presence, although a much smaller one these days, but are still very anti-war and speak out about human rights. There is a Meeting about a mile from my house.
History is told by the victors. In this case by the white majority. What is lost is the voices of Black people who struggled and died, escaped and captured and tortured to death as a warning, and yet wanted freedom. Those who fought in the civil unable to even provide themselves with protective gear and gave their lives for the country. Their voices are silent because they were not allowed to read or write. So all we hear are white voices but they are not the ones who abolished slavery. Black people did.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The history of the abolitionists, particularly John Brown, fascinates me. My subject of my long-suffering historical novel that I will probably never finish is slavery and the abolitionist movement just before the Civil War. One of my main characters is a Quaker.

Human rights is indeed an objective truth for the Friends.
You do know John Brown was executed by hanging.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:

LINK

Which white person died freeing slaves? Do you mean John Brown? Beecher’s Uncle Tom is a caricature and did not represent the courage and dignity of Black people.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
History is told by the victors. In this case by the white majority. What is lost is the voices of Black people who struggled and died, escaped and captured and tortured to death as a warning, and yet wanted freedom. Those who fought in the civil unable to even provide themselves with protective gear and gave their lives for the country. Their voices are silent because they were not allowed to read or write. So all we hear are white voices but they are not the ones who abolished slavery. Black people did.
Absolutely untrue. It was black and white people working together. Frederick Douglass could read and write, obviously, since he published a newspaper. (Sidebar trivia: Did you know that Sojourner Truth's first language was Dutch, the language of her first owners in upstate New York? She did not learn English until she was sold to an English-speaking family when she was 12.)

Yes, most black people could not read and write (neither could most poor whites, but of course the illiteracy rate was higher among slaves), but the black men with John Brown were mostly literate. (Douglass famously met with Brown in the dead of night and tried to talk him out of it.) Some of them had come from Oberlin College in Ohio, where black students were admitted since the 1830s (men only, women of any color were not admitted at first).

The reason we know exactly what happened in the leadup to Harper's Ferry and during the actual insurrection is because Osbourne Anderson, a black man and an Oberlin graduate, managed to escape and wrote it all down.

History is not always so neatly packaged and as black and white, pun intended, as we'd like it to be or as it was presented to us in grade school. The biggest slave trader was in Rhode Island, not the south. New Jersey, a northern state, was pro-slavery and slavery did not actually end there until the Thirteenth Amendment was passed in 1865. Lincoln wanted to end slavery, but he didn't want them all living among the white people. A group of educated black men met in New York City in 1863 and drafted a letter to Lincoln protesting his plan to relocate freed slaves to Nicaragua. Certain slaveowners, particularly in Virginia, allowed some slaves to learn to read despite the laws against it because they did not believe they should deny them access to the Bible. Robert E. Lee's father-in-law gave his other daughter by one of his slaves a chunk of his land and freed her husband upon their marriage.

The stories with regards to slavery are far more complex once you delve deeper into history. None of it makes slavery OK (she said pre-emptively), but it makes it apparent that our history is richer and more intricate than one might see if one only looks on the surface.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-27-2021 at 09:30 AM..

Old 02-27-2021, 09:25 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
You do know John Brown was executed by hanging.
In addition to slave insurrection, John Brown was charged with treason and murder, two crimes that were generally punished with death in 1859.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality