Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 04:52 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Many religions claim to have objective truths, yet those claims can rarely be substantiated. Stating them as facts, doesn't make them so.

Please provide one like the headline asks, but more importantly, tell us why you feel it is the case. Remember, if it is stated in a "holy book" of your religion, that makes it the claim, not the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 05:04 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Many religions claim to have objective truths, yet those claims can rarely be substantiated. Stating them as facts, doesn't make them so.

Please provide one like the headline asks, but more importantly, tell us why you feel it is the case. Remember, if it is stated in a "holy book" of your religion, that makes it the claim, not the fact.
Define “objective truth.” What is the object of this thread?

Old 01-24-2021, 05:19 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Define “objective truth.” What is the object of this thread?
It is the religious that keep talking about "objective truth". The object of this thread is to do a deep dive into what that is, what it means, and how is it determined.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:53 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
It is the religious that keep talking about "objective truth". The object of this thread is to do a deep dive into what that is, what it means, and how is it determined.
I dont know what objective truth is and i dont think it is the religious alone that touts several truths and theories.
I can talk talk about what I believe is truth - it is that which cannot be reasoned out; does not change with time and space. Advaita asserts there is only one truth, everything else is not-truth. (It is important to understand that Lies are no the opposite of truth, they are just lies.)
That recognition with complete understanding of what truth is is the first step towards a spiritual path.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:57 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
I for one do Not keep talking about ' objective truth ' (but religious truth -> God's Word < - yes - John 17:17)
I find the opposite of objective is: subjective. That would be a personal opinion over God's opinion as found in Scripture.

What comes to my mind is the ' object lesson ' Jesus taught at Matthew 21:19-20.
The apostles saw that unproductive fig tree wither away.
Thus, Jesus was giving them an 'object lesson' or perhaps one could say -> an objective truth that unfaithful Israel was like that withered-up fig tree. By outward appearance they claimed to observe God's regulations but inside they were barren and without producing good fruitage - Galatians 5:22-23.
Jesus' goal, aim, purpose, intention was showing them what the end result would be like for that fruitless nation.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:11 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times
It is important to recognize that every human has value from their creation...therefore treating people with equality and protecting their inalienable rights is a cornerstone to a better society.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:18 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
It is important to recognize that every human has value from their creation...therefore treating people with equality and protecting their inalienable rights is a cornerstone to a better society.
Good one.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I agree - except that I'd replace 'creation' with 'evolution'. Religion can have a regrettable effect of making Some people think they have more value than others.

Luke 3 (see also Matthew 3) 16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: 17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

Which has more value? The wheat or the chaff?

Old 01-25-2021, 03:09 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Repent of sins to Jesus Christ and get baptized with water and the spirit and receive the Spirit of the living God............ Millions of people have received the Spirit of God in a profound way ..... Would it be Honorable to their witness as lies of them receiving God’s living Spirit on their spiritual space

Old 01-25-2021, 04:09 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree - except that I'd replace 'creation' with 'evolution'. Religion can have a regrettable effect of making Some people think they have more value than others.

Luke 3 (see also Matthew 3) 16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: 17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

Which has more value? The wheat or the chaff?

I think you are using evolution to mean something that happens over centuries to a species. I am saying at the moment of creation for each individual they have value.

As a Quaker, my religion doesn't believe in water baptism as a necessary component for anything. Moreover, we don't have an official clergy as there is no need to separate anyone or dictate to someone how they should interact with God overriding their freewill. All people anywhere can find their unique ways of connecting to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality