Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 09:43 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,336,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
science has nothing to do with a person's path of religion and spirituality.
it is unrelated.

science, auto repair, traffic, hair color, weather, none of those have anything to do with paths of religion and spirituality. they are irrelevant.
I wished that was always true. Unfortunately there are examples (which I am too lazy to Google ) of biologists and geologists who came to the point where they could not reconcil their science with the dogma of their particular denominations and felt they had to choice between the two and left science. And i feel that certain sects of various religions would be not accepting their children studying to become scientists.

Overall though you are correct , many prominent scientists are also religious. Louis Aggaiz was very devout and yet he was the one that crushed the notion that all the large rocks and moraine were proof of Noah's flood but of evidence of past glacilation. However because of his faith it took him a long time to accept the Theory of Evolution. Dr Miller is another example of a religious scientist.

I'd be willing to bet that there also too many atheists who don't accept much of the world of science.

Stephen Jay Gould book the Rock of Ages starts with a in flight conversation he had with a Cardinal or Bishop about if thete were some new discoveries made in America that disproved evolution because the religious guy didn't understand what the fuss about not teaching in schools was confusing to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 09:58 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,013,104 times
Quote:
it is unrelated.

science, auto repair, traffic, hair color, weather, none of those have anything to do with paths of religion and spirituality. they are irrelevant.
... said every sucker pretending to be wise.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:07 PM

50,942 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
it is unrelated.

You're wrong, as usual.

Science was part of the reason that I left christianity and moved toward Buddhism.

You ALWAYS speak as if your way is the only way. And it's not.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:17 PM

2,962 posts, read 866,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Thanks, TroutDude. Maybe you can help get this thread back on track? As an Animist, this thread is right down your alley. I imagine you have much to contribute here!

BTW, I find Animism to be a more interesting belief system than some others. I have more respect for someone who does not restrict their worldview to the simplistic notion of atheistic materialism/naturalism/physicalism.

Could you explain what "spirituality" means to you, in relation to your animistic beliefs? Maybe you can expand on what you meant by a previous comment?:
“My evidence for spirit existing within all living things is -- wait for it -- a feeling.”

Do you believe spirit can exist even in inanimate objects? That's what most Animists believe.

Thanks.
TroutDude, we’re still waiting for you to share your perspective on spirituality.
If you are too shy to explain why you think all living things have a ‘spirit’, then maybe you can explain why you’re convinced that philosophical naturalism is a worldview for intellectual/spiritual toddlers?...

TD: “I am 100% certain there is more to life - and death - than we are able to parse via our five recognized senses.”

Are you 100% certain of this as a result of your childhood near-drowning NDE?

I am very interested to hear more about that experience, as I’m sure others here are as well.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times

Old 02-15-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
[gif]
An authentic person who has confidence in their worldview would not run away like you do. That kind of hiddenness/timidity is more indicative of a cowardly phoney. Are you so tight-lipped about your superstitious beliefs because you know that discussing them would undercut the legitimacy of your criticisms of beliefs that are more reasonable than your own?

Old 02-15-2021, 03:04 PM

Poor, sad, under-bridge thinger.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:08 PM

50,942 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
An authentic person who has confidence in their worldview would not run away like you do. That kind of hiddenness/timidity is more indicative of a cowardly phoney. Are you so tight-lipped about your superstitious beliefs because you know that discussing them would undercut the legitimacy of your criticisms of beliefs that are more reasonable than your own?
It's uncanny. When you write posts like this, it's as if I'm hearing Christ himself speak.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Poor, sad, under-bridge thinger.
I don’t care what you believe, or if you talk to rocks, or if you’re in a relationship with a heron, but one thing is “100% certain”... you have zero credibility to criticize others’ worldviews.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:20 PM

Poor, sad, obsessed stalker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality