Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 03:30 AM

47 posts, read 30,191 times

Advertisements

On last month (January 22), as I was arriving from the market after buying a pair of slippers, I stopped at a scenic place full of greenery and with young buffalo calves tied to trees. As I was enjoying the scene I found that there was a slaughterhouse in a nearby building and the animals were actually meant for slaughter.

Having seen a few youtube videos recently on the brutality of animal slaughter in slaughterhouses, I sympathized with the young calves and felt sorry for them. One of the calves was bleating a lot repeatedly indicating stress, and I went forward to it hoping to comfort it a bit.

Interestingly, the calf, seeing me coming near, itself came near to me indicating interest in sociability and companionship.

I stroked his head and face lovingly for some time, at which he visibly relaxed. He poked his face at me for some more strokes which I obliged. The continuous bleating stopped, and he started eating the grass around staying next to me, peacefully.

While stroking, I was surprised to see a clear dark line of tear streams from his eyes to the lower part of his face. I wondered whether this was actually tears of emotion, or tears associated with eye infection or hormonal biochemical changes or something.

(Checking the internet the next day, I found that there had been an instance of a calf visibly crying after its mother was knocked down dead by a truck while crossing a road.There were similar articles and videos in this regard.

https://sg.tv.yahoo.com/newsflare/bu...120000441.html )

Later reflecting on this experience, I remembered a orphaned girl I met a decade back, and whose head I stroked affectionately. She had similarly and very tangibly relaxed after a single friendly stroke on the head.

Imo, based on these experiences, children, whether human or animal, are quite sensitive and insecure when without their family, and suffer from high stress levels.

I think, in terms of animal rights, young calves or infant animals should be exempt from slaughter at least till they had matured or grown up.

Returning back I was glad that I had turned to vegetarianism and was not contributing to animal slaughter in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 04:20 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
If it helps any, there is a song called "Bless the Beast and the Children".

Bless the beasts and the children,
For in this world they have no voice,
They have no choice.
For the world can never be,
The world they see.
Light their way
When the darkness surrounds them;
Give them love, let it shine all around them.
Bless the beasts and the children;
Give them shelter from a storm;
Keep them safe;
Keep them warm.
Light their way
Give them love, let it shine all around

Reminds me dearly of what you eloquently described in your post.

My grand dad often said- Its all on which side of the fork or knife you are on. Sad yet true.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:29 AM

47 posts, read 30,191 times
Wow. Very insightful and well-timed poem.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:52 AM

17,810 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
If it helps any, there is a song called "Bless the Beast and the Children".

For in this world they have no voice,
They have no choice.
For the world can never be,
The world they see.
Light their way
Give them love, let it shine all around them.
Bless the beasts and the children;
Give them shelter from a storm;
Keep them safe;
Keep them warm.
Light their way
Give them love, let it shine all around

Reminds me dearly of what you eloquently described in your post.

My grand dad often said- Its all on which side of the fork or knife you are on. Sad yet true.
Ironically, it was Karen Carpenter who sang that song. If anybody probably should have had themselves some beast to eat...it would be her.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:30 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Ironically, it was Karen Carpenter who sang that song. If anybody probably should have had themselves some beast to eat...it would be her.
Perhaps she had compassion and love while being burdened with an eating disorder.

Lovely tune, voice and topic here today. I may just give a go at compassion today

Old 03-01-2021, 11:10 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
My BIL and late FIL ran mixed farming with cow - calf raising being part of it. Family farms or ranches do take good care of their animals. Calves are usually about a year old when they go to the slaughter house. Veal comes from male dairy calves and are raised in confined crates and live for a very short period. I do not ear veal for that reason. If you ever wish to buy meat get grass fed beef .

My BIL the cow calf operator was sicken by the manner that turkeys are raised in commercial operations. If you feel good about being a vegetarian thank you for helping cause the near extinction of an entire community of grasslands birds plus a decline in populations of pronghorn antelope, prairie elk and other grasslands species. Crops need land to grow and grasslands species do not survive without habitat. They can neither breed or feed.

I fondly remember when my late FIL , when he didn't have a dog , would save his table scraps in a pail and then when driving into his hills to feed the cows he'd drive a little further to scatter those scraps for the coyotes.

The answer to your question is yes. When you stated buffalo calves I am guessing that was in Asia and I was referring to North America, it may be entirely different there as I've never been thete.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:17 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
The best I can do is to restrict myself to 1 meat meal per day, except under very unusual circumstances.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:55 AM

17,810 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Perhaps she had compassion and love while being burdened with an eating disorder.

Lovely tune, voice and topic here today. I may just give a go at compassion today
That is a nice Carpenters song but at about that time there was a song that came out called "Timothy" by the Buoys.

That song suits me a lot better than any Carpenters stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqDu5LBT8_Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality