Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 01:22 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times

Advertisements

Also, why does mythology so closely resemble Christianity? For example, if you take the story of Horus that preceded Jesus by about 3,000 years you will find some extremely close similarities such as born of a virgin, resurrected, same birthdays, same number of disciples etc.

Last edited by Diesel350z; 03-04-2021 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 01:42 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Also, does why does mythology so closely resemble Christianity? For example, if you take the story of Horus that preceded Jesus by about 3,000 years you will find some extremely close similarities such as born of a virgin, resurrected, same birthdays, same number of disciples etc.
My interpretation of the syncretism in these religious narratives is that they are the result of the consciousness of God influencing our thoughts and revealing how we will come to understand God and our role. The Avatar meme is quite consistent and exhibits a decided evolution as our species' evolved in our understanding. I see the Jesus narrative as the most spiritually evolved of the many prior versions. When you realize the enormous difficulty presented by purely carnal minds and our animal natures, it becomes clearer why the narratives began as they did. For example, Mithras slaying a Bull is carnally symbolic of Jesus spiritually slaying His animal nature to love even His torturers and murderers.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:29 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Also, does why does mythology so closely resemble Christianity? For example, if you take the story of Horus that preceded Jesus by about 3,000 years you will find some extremely close similarities such as born of a virgin, resurrected, same birthdays, same number of disciples etc.
You are comparing mythologies from the same regions. If you were to compare the mythologies from North America instead you would see more similarly within a region than from far away from that region. In North America the trickster was spider or coyote or raven depending on area, it would not be reasonable for muthologies of the middle east to have Coyote in it .

I doubt thete is much similarities between Australian aborigines, North American First Nations with the Norse or the Egyptians.

The Flood mythology of one tribe is that the Bison hold back the waters but lose one hair a year. When they have lost enough hair they would be no longer able to hold back the water and the Earth wood be go flooded and destroyed and the start over again. Not too similar to the myth of Noah.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:33 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Did you find that here?
Quote:
Horus was born of the virgin Isis, also called Meri, who had “relations” (she is documented as a virgin) with the god Osiris. When Jesus was born it was said that an angel announced his birth, and that the wise men followed “a star in the East” to the site of his birth. An angel also announced Horus’ birth, and the wise men followed Sirius, the morning star (the sun rises in the east) to the site of his birth. Once born, Jesus’ mother Mary was told that she should take her son and flee to Egypt, where Horus and his mother hid after he was born. Moving a little farther down their life paths, both Jesus and Horus were baptized at the age of 30. Both had 12 disciples that followed them and spread their word/helped with their work. Jesus walked on water and performed miracles, such as raising Lazarus from the grave; it is said that Horus walked on water, had been known to perform miracles, and had raised his father (Osiris, also known as Asar, which is El-Asar in Hebrew and El-Asarus in Latin) from the dead. Then, at the end of their lives, both were crucified, buried in tombs, only to be resurrected 3 days later.
Horus was killed by a scorpion sting. I suspect that someone has been making things up, someone by the name of Gerald Massey perhaps?

Horus never had 12 disciples, nor was he baptized and his birthday is not given. The birthday assigned to Jesus is actually the Roman sungod's, Sol.

https://strangenotions.com/horus-manure/

Old 03-04-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Did you find that here?

Horus was killed by a scorpion sting. I suspect that someone has been making things up, someone by the name of Gerald Massey perhaps?

Horus never had 12 disciples, nor was he baptized and his birthday is not given. The birthday assigned to Jesus is actually the Roman sungod's, Sol.

https://strangenotions.com/horus-manure/
No, saw it discussed in another forum.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Also, why does mythology so closely resemble Christianity? For example, if you take the story of Horus that preceded Jesus by about 3,000 years you will find some extremely close similarities such as born of a virgin, resurrected, same birthdays, same number of disciples etc.
even the flood story was not original.

I been on a history kick the last few months. The science stuff is getting to repetitive. I didn't know there were was any history in southern Iraq before 300bce. I knew china was there and Egypt. But southern Iraq, up to turky, over to Israel, red sea, Persian gulf ... wow!!!!. all the back to 20,000 bc. +- 5 k.

The one thing though salty that I always did. I know what I do not know. when somebody brings up a topic I don't know, I stop.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
I think it has do with where it is. The region around eastern med to Persian gulf would over lap. The northern Europeans were different weren't they? then southern America's and north America's would be different.

But yeah, young, new, women, I can see that over lapping where ever there are males of the species.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:40 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Mythology is fake and if fallen angels did start their belief that there are a lot of dead gods today ....... Where Jesus Christ is alive and has been around for ages, and millions of people have been in contact with Jesus and know Him through His spirit today ...... Even though there are Christian based belief systems that are mostly legalism and which is faithless in the God of Jesus Christ ..... See Millions of people have been changed from the wicked to the ethics of the living God, and countless have been healed of illness of the body through Jesus .................... Were horus the ancient god is not acknowledged today....., as the living God of Jesus Christ probably caste horus the fallen angel into the abyss and I today locked the chains ...... Even the bible talks of apollo and god of Ancient Greece who is said to be the king of the abyss realm

Old 03-05-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Mythology is fake and if fallen angels did start their belief that there are a lot of dead gods today ....... Where Jesus Christ is alive and has been around for ages, and millions of people have been in contact with Jesus and know Him through His spirit today ...... Even though there are Christian based belief systems that are mostly legalism and which is faithless in the God of Jesus Christ ..... See Millions of people have been changed from the wicked to the ethics of the living God, and countless have been healed of illness of the body through Jesus .................... Were horus the ancient god is not acknowledged today....., as the living God of Jesus Christ probably caste horus the fallen angel into the abyss and I today locked the chains ...... Even the bible talks of apollo and god of Ancient Greece who is said to be the king of the abyss realm
There is some mythology in the Bible, no?

Old 03-05-2021, 09:21 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Wasn't Jesus Jewish? And his parents were both Jewish too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality