Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times

Advertisements

I did not grow up Christian and I do not know much about the stories of Christianity, to me they are stories and tales much as mythology was to the Greeks that do not apply to me.

My husband mentioned the other day that Easter was the religion commemorating Jesus rising from the dead. My daughter and I both looked at each other, amused and surprised at how that is believed and celebrated. Rising from the dead? If in today's culture, that would be considered cult like thinking and completely ludicrous.

How do Christians rationally explain these actions, why do they not occur now, and how is it any different than the stories of Greek Mythology or any other type of myths?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I did not grow up Christian and I do not know much about the stories of Christianity, to me they are stories and tales much as mythology was to the Greeks that do not apply to me.

My husband mentioned the other day that Easter was the religion commemorating Jesus rising from the dead. My daughter and I both looked at each other, amused and surprised at how that is believed and celebrated. Rising from the dead? If in today's culture, that would be considered cult like thinking and completely ludicrous.

How do Christians rationally explain these actions, why do they not occur now, and how is it any different than the stories of Greek Mythology or any other type of myths?
They don't rationally explain them. That is the biggest complaint by many regarding Christianity. They point to stories within a 2,000+ year old book as literally true and attempt to hold that book up as fact and science, rather than morality tales and myths.

But to be fair, most of the stories in the Bible are a little more believable than those of ancient Greece. Although I think even the Greeks knew that many of their myths were not factually true but simply legend and stories to entertain and teach a larger lesson.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 PM

364 posts, read 1,979,280 times
Any culture, civilization, religion, society, philosophy.... EVERYTHING with human beings will always have myths.

Myths are not necesarily lies, they are just different ways of people expressing their concept of truth. It is all over poetry, music and different arts.

Christianity is not an exception to this.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times
There’s an native american story about a mountain in the area where I live. About a huge dark snake that came out of the ground and wrapped itself around a mountain. (that’s the short version of it)
I think the kids sitting around the campfire believed the story was real, but I really don’t think the adults believe it was a giant snake. However it’s a great way to talk about a geologic event that the native Americans saw at the time. (ok, maybe the fundamentalist ones took it literally)
Without television to entertain you in the evenings and no geologic science. I think that was a very good and creative way to explain the event.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
To me the Bible and mythology are the same.
The ancient Greeks probably believed that Heracles truly existed, the same way that Christians believe that Christ is God.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 AM

54 posts, read 156,886 times
faina00;

When they are promised an after life with mansions and streets paved in gold and everyone is at peace and so on and so forth....it gives people hope and purpose in this life that is simple in concept in which they can relate to. Instead of rationally considering the incredible myths of the Bible they keep their attention on the carrot. By necessity, intellectual logic always replaces ancient ideologies in order for society to advance. I think religion serves it's purpose if it causes people to be kind and loving to one another, eventually humans will advance to that point without having to predicate that upon punishment/reward and ancient mythical stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality