Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:30 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

Just to liven things up a little, imagine that your son or daughter comes home one day and tells you that they've fallen in love and are planning on getting married. Which would be the least desireable situation, that the person they want to marry is from another religion or that they're an atheist? What actually made me think of this question is that Blueberry and I exchanged some thoughts about the children of unbelievers which made me think that those of us who are atheists are considered to be the dregs of humanity that could cause our own children to be "unclean" (actually Blueberry was very nice and we joked about it). To those of you who are religious would the introduction of a future son or daughter in law who was an atheist be worse than someone of a completely different religion or would you just break out a shotgun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 06:36 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times
Default Break out the shotgun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Just to liven things up a little, imagine that your son or daughter comes home one day and tells you that they've fallen in love and are planning on getting married. Which would be the least desireable situation, that the person they want to marry is from another religion or that they're an atheist? What actually made me think of this question is that Blueberry and I exchanged some thoughts about the children of unbelievers which made me think that those of us who are atheists are considered to be the dregs of humanity that could cause our own children to be "unclean" (actually Blueberry was very nice and we joked about it). To those of you who are religious would the introduction of a future son or daughter in law who was an atheist be worse than someone of a completely different religion or would you just break out a shotgun?
Sorry, I'm a very over-protective parent and "jump the gun" when it concerns my kids

In reality, firstly, it depends on the "other religion". Most other Christian denominations I could probably tolerate for the sake of my child's happiness. Of course, I would hope they understood there will be obsticales and they would need to work together and compromise.

Oooops.. wife calling. Will be right back for part 2...

Old 06-15-2007, 06:39 PM

688 posts, read 2,836,014 times
Montanaguy, are you just trying to get people's goat??? I think you are...

what makes you think you are considered dregs of humanity? I will answer your OP with a question:

Which would you consider most undesirable, your child wanting to marry someone who is a druglord/junkie/pimp or a Christian man who just wants to try to live a holy life? Which would you let your darling child live their life with?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:50 PM

LuLu108 wrote:
Quote:
Which would you consider most undesirable, your child wanting to marry someone who is a druglord/junkie/pimp or a Christian man who just wants to try to live a holy life? Which would you let your darling child live their life with?
Aren't you the clever one! To be honest I do see atheists being portrayed as people who have no morals and are egotistical and self centered. I'm none of those things and I consider myself a pretty decent guy and I'm just throwing out this question because I think we're being judged unfairly. To answer your question, of course I'd have to choose the Christian man because that would be the safest environment for my child considering the choices that you gave me.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:59 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Hmmmm.....I guess I wouldn't view it as any different.

I haven't really read the posts on atheism and how much atheists are hated/disliked. I really never thought they were, but I will have to go back and read.

I am actually curious about people who are sure there is nothing greater than ourselves. Most atheists I talk to are really agnostic.

Dawn

Old 06-15-2007, 07:00 PM

LOL! Clever indeed!

No really, considering the choices you gave me I would choose the atheist, unless of course the "other religion" you're referring to would be Christian but of another denomination. But that's my choosing. No matter what I'd think or say, it would be my child making the decision in their own life. I wouldn't be disgusted over it. I'm sorry you feel that you're being judged that way! I understand that there are people out there that will make you feel that way. I feel like Christians are being judged unfairly in the same way sometimes. I think it's not fair that some people will say things like Christians believe this way or think this way. Please, don't speak for me! I have a mouth and can speak for myself, thank you! LOL! But you know it's just not like that with 'everybody'. See my last post in the thread 'For those who are Agnostic/Atheist....a question'. You will see that I don't try judge people and why maybe some do during weak moments (on both sides).

Quote:
LuLu108 wrote:

Aren't you the clever one! To be honest I do see atheists being portrayed as people who have no morals and are egotistical and self centered. I'm none of those things and I consider myself a pretty decent guy and I'm just throwing out this question because I think we're being judged unfairly. To answer your question, of course I'd have to choose the Christian man because that would be the safest environment for my child considering the choices that you gave me.

Last edited by Lulu_IWG; 06-15-2007 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-15-2007, 07:03 PM

279 posts, read 1,347,994 times
I think I would prefer my kids to marry an athiest rather than a different religion. Different religions can cause more conflicts.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:12 PM

DawnW wrote:
Quote:
I am actually curious about people who are sure there is nothing greater than ourselves.
I don't look at it that way at all. In fact atheism tends to view human beings in a much less grandiose way than any religion I'm aware of because it doesn't elevate humans to a level above all other living things, it just views us as one of the many variations in evolution. Religion tends to see the activities of human beings as being at the center of some cosmic battle between good and evil or God and the devil. That sounds extremely egotistical from my point of view but I guess that's just me.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I would rather make sure that my daughter married for love of a good, kind, moral , hardworking man who would love her in return for her high, moral qualities. I would have to leave them to settle their religious differences, without any interference from me. I would have the sense to know that it could be years before a decision if any is made. Religion or lack of religion doesn't make your personality or moral standard. Only way I would consider the shotgun would be if he hurt my daughter or grandbabies.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
DawnW wrote:

I don't look at it that way at all. In fact atheism tends to view human beings in a much less grandiose way than any religion I'm aware of because it doesn't elevate humans to a level above all other living things, it just views us as one of the many variations in evolution. Religion tends to see the activities of human beings as being at the center of some cosmic battle between good and evil or God and the devil. That sounds extremely egotistical from my point of view but I guess that's just me.

Oh Montanaguy....we are not egotisticals, please.

I humble myself before the Lord and I know I am nothing without Him. Christians view that all of us humans were created to be with God, eventually. That doesn't mean we hold ourselves high on a pedestal at all. That's what some people misunderstand about us. Again, you'll have to read my post in the thread I mentioned before so you can better get my meaning.
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...uestion-2.html
Click and then scroll down.
LuLu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality