Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 09:45 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am sorry you felt someone is being rude to you.
I was trying to make a general statement about people who claims things. Its wasn't specific to anyone. I was also signaling my mind to scan myself to make sure I dont engage in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 09:51 AM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I was trying to make a general statement about people who claims things. Its wasn't specific to anyone. I was also signaling my mind to scan myself to make sure I dont engage in that.
Stating what nondualism is about is just that, a statement. I did not find any rudeness in any post. Maybe you can point to it so i understand what your sense of rudeness is. Remember the 4 fingers that point in the opposite direction when we point.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:52 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am on topic. I am addressing the errors in interpretation that exist due to the prior lack of knowledge of the ancients. I am updating the Advaita with accurate scientific knowledge about Reality.
No, you're not. You are pushing your favorite theory into yet another thread.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:26 AM

551 posts, read 192,110 times
Concerning rudeness and taking offense... I'll tie it into the topic of this thread, first loosely and then directly.

Loosely: Raja Yoga is one preparatory practice to bring about clarity of mind in order to facilitate comprehending and assimilating the knowledge of Jnana Yoga. Before I came across Advaita I was practicing mindfulness meditation and for mostly secular benefits and one big benefit is not taking things personally. Understanding the external can only affect me if I allow it. Observing the mind's proclivity to dredge stuff up from the subconscious conditioning in response to stimuli and realizing it starts with a subtle thought bubbling up from the subconscious and if left to its own devices soon amplifying into a runaway thought train, triggering an emotional response.

Directly: This does tie back to the prior because one eventually realizes one is not one's thoughts (or body or mind) so things that touch body or mind cannot touch me.

Anyway that's my experience and how Advaita and all its practices translate into my daily life. In the midst of action and even intense and chaotic action one can rest in the underlying and serene silence and stillness and not be affected at all by the storm of life when it blows and even with fury.

Concerning the first point I always liked this parable.

https://mindfulnessmeditation.net.au/arrow/

‘If a person is struck by an arrow, is it painful? If the person is struck by a second arrow, is it even more painful?’

He then went on to explain,

‘In life, we can’t always control the first arrow. However, the second arrow is our reaction to the first. This second arrow is optional.’

Old 03-18-2021, 10:37 AM

If the topic has switched to taking offense and rudeness I'm going to bring this up. I found it a few years ago and it was so helpful to me I pass it along whenever I can.

The Taoists have a famous teaching about an empty boat that rams into your boat in the middle of a river. While you probably wouldn’t be angry at an empty boat, you might well become enraged if someone were at its helm.
The point of the story is that the parents who didn’t see you, the other kids who teased you as a child, the driver who aggressively tailgated you yesterday – are all in fact empty, rudderless boats. They were compulsively driven to act as they did by their own unexamined wounds, therefore they did not know what they were doing and had little control over it.

Just as an empty boat that rams into us isn’t targeting us, so too people who act unkindly are driven along by the unconscious force of their own wounding and pain.

Until we realize this, we will remain prisoners of our grievance, our past, and our victim identity, all of which keep us from opening to the more powerful currents of life and love that are always flowing through the present moment.

https://thoughtcatalog.com/claudia-a...ortant-truths/

Old 03-18-2021, 11:10 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
If the topic has switched to taking offense and rudeness I'm going to bring this up. I found it a few years ago and it was so helpful to me I pass it along whenever I can.

The Taoists have a famous teaching about an empty boat that rams into your boat in the middle of a river. While you probably wouldn’t be angry at an empty boat, you might well become enraged if someone were at its helm.
The point of the story is that the parents who didn’t see you, the other kids who teased you as a child, the driver who aggressively tailgated you yesterday – are all in fact empty, rudderless boats. They were compulsively driven to act as they did by their own unexamined wounds, therefore they did not know what they were doing and had little control over it.

Just as an empty boat that rams into us isn’t targeting us, so too people who act unkindly are driven along by the unconscious force of their own wounding and pain.

Until we realize this, we will remain prisoners of our grievance, our past, and our victim identity, all of which keep us from opening to the more powerful currents of life and love that are always flowing through the present moment.

Taoism influenced my quest to understand myself and to discover explanations of my experience of God.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Taoism influenced my quest to understand myself and to discover explanations of my experience of God.
Its definitely the most helpful of all the traditions for me.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:20 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No, you're not. You are pushing your favorite theory into yet another thread.
I was explaining my intellectual understanding of Advaita and attempting to correct what I consider errors. But I took on board CB's desire for the thread and agreed to back off.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:38 PM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:

The topic has not switched. It is still Advaita/nondualism in daily life. Please stay on topic.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Advaita insists one must not believe. Not take it on faith. It's a methodological examination of mundane experience within an ancient, systematic and proven framework. It's the finger pointing at the Moon and focusing on the finger is more akin to belief and faith. It doesn't consider itself a religion per se but more a philosophy with the purpose being Self-realization through one's own internal exploration as pointed out by the finger.

For instance even though there is a devotional component (Bhakti Yoga) it's acknowledge any deity one might choose is as "unreal" as anything else that isn't the Ineffable. In essence both the Bhakti (path of devotion) and Karma (path of service) aspects' purpose is to foster purity of mind through a moral and ethical framework. Raja Yoga (pah of meditation) establishes clarity of mind and once one is firmly established in both then one has a chance at the Self-realization of Jnana Yoga (path of knowledge) which is the finger pointing at the Moon.

How would we sit down and sort it out? We wouldn't. That would be something you would have to explore for yourself, otherwise you'd either be simply believing or disbelieving what I say is so.

EDIT: That's not to say I don't want to discuss it. Of course I do and with the intention it might pique curiosity and foster further inquiry and investigation.
I like the top part.

I disagree with sort it out on your own. The absolute is absolute. Together we are more one than when we are alone.

I don't understand why some people fear linking a belief to science. I see it with strong atheist and strong theist. Its almost like understanding this absolute will mean the end of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality