Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2021, 09:04 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Not more than I wanted to know. Now I'm going to have to figure out what Port Authority is/ does tho.
Ah, but you have an inside source who can tell you whatever you need to know.

https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/en/index.html

Old 03-21-2021, 09:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Allow the person some time to self-reflect without doing much more?

That is one of the reasons I don't immediately pick a side and when I do, it is in support of the concept rather than the person. Though this can be a problem when it comes to the appearance of loyalty.
Not that. Since this is a 'problem' with atheist activism - not so much the 'boys' club - women atheists are wanted and as spokespersons, too, the more the merrier, but the problem of women feeling safe in gatherings and this or that male hitting on them. When I say I don't know what to do about that, I'm not excusing anybody, or dismissing the problem, but apart from exterminating the male sex (which might be the answer some may be looking for) I really don't know how to fix Instinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 10:05 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Not that. Since this is a 'problem' with atheist activism - not so much the 'boys' club - women atheists are wanted and as spokespersons, too, the more the merrier, but the problem of women feeling safe in gatherings and this or that male hitting on them. When I say I don't know what to do about that, I'm not excusing anybody, or dismissing the problem, but apart from exterminating the male sex (which might be the answer some may be looking for) I really don't know how to fix Instinct.
First by getting organized, become members. By demanding the organizations that represent atheists, and has a public voice, are more proactive in support of women, and minorities, and their rights. Ensure they have more women, and minorities, on their board or organizational structure. Be more vocal about sexism and racism and speak out against it in definitive terms, not wishywashy. When an atheist with recognized stature, has a public presence, says something racist or sexist, call them out, that is not what Atheism is about. Be loud and clear about human rights.
If this sounds political, aren't atheists political? Do they want a voice in how public money, their taxes, are spent? Do they want the public square free of religious paraphernalia? That is politics. Is this liberal leanings? Yes.

And stop picking on religion, especially Islam, and talk about people and their safety. Recognize religion has a place in people's lives and they need it. Religious freedom works both ways and like it or not Atheism is recognized as religion and thus has the same freedom.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:10 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Allow the person some time to self-reflect without doing much more?

That is one of the reasons I don't immediately pick a side and when I do, it is in support of the concept rather than the person. Though this can be a problem when it comes to the appearance of loyalty.
Exactly. Thats when one could look like traitors.

Use reason, logic, and commonsense to form a belief. If it is consistent with observation then it may be reasonable and there most certainty can be more than one answer.

That is the concept.

"Blind faith", on the other hand see questioning in full as divisive and counter productive.

Then we move on toi putting actual claims in to see who is actually trying to do what. It has been my experience, That when the name calling starts. "you're a traitor."

Old 03-21-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
First by getting organized, become members. By demanding the organizations that represent atheists, and has a public voice, are more proactive in support of women, and minorities, and their rights. Ensure they have more women, and minorities, on their board or organizational structure. Be more vocal about sexism and racism and speak out against it in definitive terms, not wishywashy. When an atheist with recognized stature, has a public presence, says something racist or sexist, call them out, that is not what Atheism is about. Be loud and clear about human rights.
If this sounds political, aren't atheists political? Do they want a voice in how public money, their taxes, are spent? Do they want the public square free of religious paraphernalia? That is politics. Is this liberal leanings? Yes.

And stop picking on religion, especially Islam, and talk about people and their safety. Recognize religion has a place in people's lives and they need it. Religious freedom works both ways and like it or not Atheism is recognized as religion and thus has the same freedom.
The first big step is openess and honesty. Dumping notions that speak to ..

" ... Sortagod cannot be allowed to pass through inattention or being worn down with constant nagging, because it hands theism the logical default for free. Without their having to produce anything but fallacious arguments."

If beliefs are consistent with observation, let them pass. People using religion as a weapon is a diferent matter all to together.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:56 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

Why should we stop talking about religion when you constantly talk about religion?

Old 03-21-2021, 01:17 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:

First, the vast majority of atheists are not interested in joining organizations [of atheists]. Second, there are no organizations that represent atheists.

The organizations that do exist only represent their members, and do not represent the other 99%+ that do not join any of those organizations.

I can't imagine how you could compel anyone to join any of those organizations.

Why should an organization, whose purpose is to represent people who d not believe in God, take a stand on safety?

Old 03-21-2021, 01:21 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
First, the vast majority of atheists are not interested in joining organizations [of atheists]. Second, there are no organizations that represent atheists.

The organizations that do exist only represent their members, and do not represent the other 99%+ that do not join any of those organizations.

I can't imagine how you could compel anyone to join any of those organizations.

Why should an organization, whose purpose is to represent people who d not believe in God, take a stand on safety?
I was merely responding to Transponder’s post asking what can be done about the bad image created by a few. Nobody needs to do anything of course but there is power in numbers if one is concerned about creating a positive image for a group of people.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why should we stop talking about religion when you constantly talk about religion?
nothing, you can talk about your religion all you want. I have often said atheism isn't a religion but we have a ton of atheist that treat it like one.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:32 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
I was merely responding to Transponder’s post asking what can be done about the bad image created by a few. Nobody needs to do anything of course but there is power in numbers if one is concerned about creating a positive image for a group of people.
Even so, you did refer to organizations that represent atheists. Why did you say that when you've been told before that those organizations only represent a tiny fraction oa atheists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality