Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:44 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I did Not ' quote ' I made reference as to where you can find or look up that Bible information.
Anyone can say the Bible says this or that, but if one does Not post as to where that information is found then who knows.
To me it is mindless when someone says the Bible says this or that but does Not back it up as to where the Bible says it.
Excuse me. The point remains. Don't you JW people have jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 08:30 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Christianity 101 is that salvation through Christ was God's plan from before the creation. It isn't as though the Fall took God by surprise and required him to shift to Plan B to rectify the unanticipated mess. God knew that genuine free will would inevitably lead humans to fall short of his perfect holiness and thus become estranged from him. Salvation through Christ was the plan God put in place before the creation to demonstrate his perfect love and perfect justice and make available an avenue for fallen humans to enter his eternal kingdom.

Could God have sent Christ at some different time - 10,000 BC or 800 AD or whatever? Sure. But the time God actually chose makes sense to me for the reasons I've stated.

Regarding your citation of Genesis 6:6, it is indeed a verse that portrays God in very anthropomorphic terms as "regretting" the creation and feeling "pain." Non-Christians always seem to assume that Christians are obligated to read the OT literally and woodenly, opening the door to innumerable "Gotcha!" challenges.

I have no difficulty reading Genesis 6:6 as a mytho-historical account that simply expresses God's disgust with human evil and yet demonstrates God's willingness to save a remnant. Like much of the OT, the account of Noah and the Flood is a foreshadowing of what God would accomplish in Christ. It expresses both God's justice and his love. It expresses spiritual truth regardless of whether it is literally, historically true. The OT is riddled with anthropomorphisms.

You believe free choice must be devoid of concern for consequences? Where did you get that idea? I'm not really making a free choice if I opt for Diet Coke over regular Coke because I understand that regular Coke has a large number of non-nutritious calories?

I believe God placed humans in a creation where they would be exposed to the full spectrum of good and evil and be faced with a myriad of moral choices to which they would be required to respond in the exercise of their libertarian free will. Only in this way could humans understand and appreciate what God offers and become capable of genuine communion with him. Those who chose to turn away from him in the exercise of their libertarian free will would suffer the consequences that God's perfect justice requires. As I have said repeatedly, whatever those consequences are, we will see that they are worthy of the God we worship.

You apparently believe we have free will only if we can make whatever choices we damn well please without regard to consequences. Do any human parents operate in this manner? Does any justice system operate in this manner? Does any notion of love operate in this manner? The God you posit is a toothless, drooling fool who just can't get enough of his grandkids' antics. Not exactly agape love. Not exactly Christianity 101.

You are truly making a fool of yourself with your hyperbole such as "barbaric understanding." You apparently derive some amusement from this, but it just makes you look silly and contributes nothing to the discussion.
You are deliberately misrepresenting my rejection of your view of consequences as punishment imposed BY God for His so-called "justice." That is bogus. if there is an imposed punishment, that is a choice under coercion or duress, NOT a free choice. There are always consequences for any of our free choices, but they have nothing to do with any concern for ("or else") punishments imposed by God.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:21 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Well, seems as if you never read in the Bible about the ' Rainbow Covenant ' _________ - hint > Genesis 9:11-15.
No universal Flood, but the executional sword-like words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of the wicked.
Delphic in it's promise. "Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life" (to the 4th wall, "I have other means ").

Old 05-05-2021, 01:26 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Has the OP's query been answered? I thought it was because after reinforcing the Old Testament, Jesus went to prepare a place and in the meanwhile we have Revelations etc.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:13 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:
I find it is Not the 'god' thing, but the 'false clergy thing' you are thinking about.
Can anyone think of anyone righteous who died and went to biblical hell ____________- Acts 2:27.
Because righteous Jesus taught ' sleep ' (Not pain) in death - see John 11:11-14 - then while in hell Jesus was sleeping.
Jesus learned that sleep-like state from the old Hebrew Scriptures such as: Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5

When King James had the word Gehenna translated into English as hell fire that falsely put the flames in the grave/hell.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were: destroyed.
This is why what we can learn from the Scriptures is that the wicked will be destroyed; destroyed forever.
- Psalm 92:7; Psalm 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22; 2nd Peter 3:9 ( perish = destroyed ).
Uh, no. It's the "god" thing. And I am not in the least interested in biblical passages.

Old 05-15-2021, 04:24 PM

978 posts, read 1,058,484 times
...but TWO very notable groups that believe in the Old testament God, the Creator, believe the bible WAS continued after Jesus dies and they refer to it in their religious teachings.

These are the two major groups...

Group 1:
In 610 AD, God (same Old Testament God from Judaism and Christianity) sent Angel Gabrielle to Muhammad to redirect his people, including Christians, who falsely believed Jesus was the Son of God and Final Prophet sent by God. The word-for- word narrative, given by Gabrielle, would become the Quran which Muslims believe to be God setting the record straight. Jesus is a pivotal character in the Quran but according to God, he was NOT the final prophet and NOT the Son of God.

Obviously, Christians reject this claim that God contacted another prophet but Muslims were VERY successful in converting almost all of the Christians in the Middle East into believing this in fact WAS the extension of the Bible. The pre-Islam Christians in the Middle East referred to Jesus/God as Allah which is Arabic for God. If you look at maps of Christianity vs. Islam at the dawn of the Columbus voyages, they were starting to even convert a number of Europeans into believing what they felt was the TRUTH and that the Europeans, after the fall of Th Roman Empire, suffering, black plague, etc. were misled.

The colonization of several new continents allowed the Christians to regain a stronghold on the "Word" or else Europe might be more Islamic than we could imagine. Even without that, Muslims are almost as large of a group as Christians comprising 1.8 billion worldwide. Again, they DO believe in the extension of a Post- Jesus directly the word of God.

Group 2:
In 1823 AD, God sent Angel Moroni to Joseph Smith to write the Book of Mormon and spread it as a continuation of the Bible. In it, the Mormons believe God (again same Old Testament God) revealed evidence that God had also sent his people to settle in North America 600 years before the birth of Jesus. They also believe Jesus was also sent to visit some North American inhabitants, post resurrection and other very controversial teachings to the mainstream Christian ways of thinking.

Even with that, Mormons in the United States comprise about 6.5 million people in the United States/almost 17 million worldwide so they definitely believe in the Post- Bible scriptures.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:56 PM

35 posts, read 11,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Of course it goes on for a while longer but relatively speaking, it all kind of stops there. No new stories. No more God talking to men, parting seas, urning bushes (at least Biblical events). Very few miracles and probably none in the past 100 years.

This may be why many people do not believe. Everything happened “back then”. There is no proof or eye witness events these days. Is it because God has left us to our own devices and gave up? I am Catholic and I believe but it is sure hard to convince people that a lot of things real when all of those stories all seemed to end around 2000 years ago. Is there an explanation for this or is it that Jesus will return when he is good and ready?

Could the lives of saints in modern times be a sign of God doing something today?

Old 05-16-2021, 05:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
because they assembled the book after the event. They were recording the oldest known witness to the events they had at that time.

I even believe that they tried to place some inconsistencies in there to help people to not make the book an idol. The genius stories is an example. They knew they couldn't stop them but they figured most people would understand to reevaluate and change as needed.

Like we all do, they underestimated ...

Old 05-16-2021, 06:10 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Doesnt really matter what they did with the New Testament, the NT does not stand with the law and the prophets and if any of it contradict the law and the prophets, it can easily be done away with, especially letters that a person wrote to churches, They dont stand anywhere near the law and the prophets.

God's word is the law and the prophets, it certainly stands alone, and anything else is trivial, or in support of Gods word.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:57 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Doesnt really matter what they did with the New Testament, the NT does not stand with the law and the prophets and if any of it contradict the law and the prophets, it can easily be done away with, especially letters that a person wrote to churches, They dont stand anywhere near the law and the prophets.

God's word is the law and the prophets, it certainly stands alone, and anything else is trivial, or in support of Gods word.
But according to Paul, Jesus was talking through the prophets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality