Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 670 times

Advertisements

For long, I have lived a dual life where I responded to other people at their level of understanding. But I have my own set of spiritual ideas and studies that I have been following for the last 13 years. I so deeply want to share it with someone but I can't. The people around me are not much into spirituality and whatever I say does not make sense to them. I am finding myself in a situation where I can't express myself. And that's a huge pain I carry every single day. I also feel lonely because of this. I wanted to have suicide.

That is when I stumbled upon this forum. I have many things to share where I feel a spiritual community can understand me. I hope this is the place for that. If you have suggestions for other places please suggest me so. I have no particular religion but I have studied most religions in the world. I have no particular inclination to any one religion. I am open to ideas.

This communication problem has caused me a lot of pain. The inability to express and keeping things within myself have had a tremendous toll on me. I hope someone understands. I need your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 06:05 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Welcome!
Don't give up some people are busy chasing the cheddar and do not have the time for things that seem intangible.
I enjoy learning about the world's diverse belief systems, and I have no need to challenge anyone about their beliefs unless they're wanting me to adapt the belief(s) and/or I believe the belief system is harmful.
As to your pain, the participants here seem to prefer debating religion vs. sharing, so if you are okay with that you should be fine.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:24 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Maybe you can try and say in simple terms what your spiritual system is. The more you complicate it harder it is to communicate. Most spirituality is simple at its core.
So get to the core.
Dont worry about other people’s understanding or levels. Spirituality is not hard to understand.
If it is hard, then make it simple.
Maybe you can begin with what you have studied. Are the books? Spiritual texts?
Why is it important to you that others understand?
Why do you carry pain? First get rid of your pain. Not a good place to communicate from.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:19 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipraj View Post
For long, I have lived a dual life where I responded to other people at their level of understanding. But I have my own set of spiritual ideas and studies that I have been following for the last 13 years. I so deeply want to share it with someone but I can't. The people around me are not much into spirituality and whatever I say does not make sense to them. I am finding myself in a situation where I can't express myself. And that's a huge pain I carry every single day. I also feel lonely because of this. I wanted to have suicide.

That is when I stumbled upon this forum. I have many things to share where I feel a spiritual community can understand me. I hope this is the place for that. If you have suggestions for other places please suggest me so. I have no particular religion but I have studied most religions in the world. I have no particular inclination to any one religion. I am open to ideas.

This communication problem has caused me a lot of pain. The inability to express and keeping things within myself have had a tremendous toll on me. I hope someone understands. I need your help.
The first thing I would do -- and perhaps you already have -- is look at how this forum functions. While this is not a "debate society", that's sort of what we do, albeit without the rules of formal debate. People here can be extremely "blunt" in discussing points. "We" are not what I would call a "spiritual community".

I have no way of knowing where you are located. If you are in an area with a significant population, there may be a lot of resources out there. I would check, for example, a website called meetup.com. I'm in the Phoenix area, and when I entered "spiritual community" into their website, there were MANY related groups. I haven't used meetup.com for the particular interest in "spiritual communities", but I have used them for other social activities, and found most groups very welcoming with a wide range of personality types.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Welcome.

Spend a couple of days reading past posts and get a feel for the place. Chime in on other's posts if you find them interesting. If your belief system is somewhat unconventional, you may find some fellowship in the Pagan sub-forum.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:09 AM

99 posts, read 34,134 times
Quote:

Hi Dipraj,

I dont know you and its your first post. So I can only guess. You dont have to answer me, and - if you want -sent a private message.

Trying to "feel" you, its like your sitting in a self built tower with thick walls. On one hand you wrote, not having people WORTH sharing your spiritual ideas with. On the other hand you at least thought about ending your life. Which means you dont think its worth. You can be in a vicious cycle. The more you feel the pain, you more you are focussed on yourself and wont see the others around you. Not really.

As a first step to end the cylce (if I am right) is, to "make spiritual holidays". Get a distance to what youre doing now. Try to be nice to people and enjoy the positive responses. Try to find other things you have in common with other people. Because spirituality (no matter how intense) is only a small part of our personalities. And after some time - with a qualm center inside yourself - it might be easier (not easy) to look into the right directions.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:49 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Welcome

I'm thankful we have this forum, as a much-needed alternative to communications these days. Personally, I'm probably finished trying to talk in person to people about spiritual matters (certainly in a traditional church setting). There are open-minded and healthy / beneficial groups out there, but I don't know of any currently. So, we have this forum to kick around thoughts and ideas

Old 04-13-2021, 12:35 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Welcome

I'm glad that we have this forum, as a much-needed alternative to communications these days. I'm probably finished trying to talk in person to people about spiritual matters; certainly in a traditional church setting. There are probably some open-minded and healthy / beneficial groups out there, but I don't know of any currently.
I am on a mailing list and facebook group on advaita and non duality. I enjoy both. There is also a place in the city that conducts meetings and classes that are now online due to Covid that I just found out about. Right now they are discussing Emerson that I plan to join. It will be nice to meet in person when it becomes possible.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:42 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,177,018 times
Quote:

imo, it is normal when it concerns spirituality. we all are at different points of spiritual development and personal experience.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:38 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am on a mailing list and facebook group on advaita and non duality. I enjoy both. There is also a place in the city that conducts meetings and classes.... Right now they are discussing Emerson that I plan to join.
That's good to hear, especially discussing Emerson. I know I'd get into that type of thing. Might crossover heavily into philosophy, as another worthy area of discussion. I think the Unitarians also tend to be broader and more open-minded. In fact, Emerson was once connected with Unitarianism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality