Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times

Advertisements

1 Corinthians 13

Love

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

This is my favorite passage from the Bible, I have it framed and hanging in my home. It is a wonderful reminder for me to keep my thoughts elevated. I am eager to hear your favorite passages from the Bible or any other book that you receive inspiration from. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 03:34 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
I have a few favorite passages. Three of them paraphrased here without specific reference, but if someone wants to point out chapter and verse for me, that'd be great:

"One day with God is like a thousand years on earth." (Broader meaning for the first seven days, perhaps?)

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will know God." (Jesus, Sermon on the Mount)

"Be still and know God." (Psalms, I think)

Old 05-10-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I have a few favorite passages. Three of them paraphrased here without specific reference, but if someone wants to point out chapter and verse for me, that'd be great:

"One day with God is like a thousand years on earth." (Broader meaning for the first seven days, perhaps?)

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will know God." (Jesus, Sermon on the Mount)

"Be still and know God." (Psalms, I think)
Very nice, thank you.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM

I'm curious as to why people don't want to share their favorite bible passage for all to read? I was hoping to log on to read many beautiful passages. Oh well, maybe I scared people off in my approach.

Have a beautiful weekend.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:21 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I'm curious as to why people don't want to share their favorite bible passage for all to read? I was hoping to log on to read many beautiful passages. Oh well, maybe I scared people off in my approach.

Have a beautiful weekend.
John 13:34

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

John 13:35

By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Luke 13:34

"The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is clear, your whole body also is full of light; but when it is bad, your body also is full of darkness.

I like this one because it's a reference to the spiritual eye, which is located in the Christ center in between the eyebrows, the bible is full of yogic references but that one is my favorite

Old 05-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Luke 13:34

"The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is clear, your whole body also is full of light; but when it is bad, your body also is full of darkness.

I like this one because it's a reference to the spiritual eye, which is located in the Christ center in between the eyebrows, the bible is full of yogic references but that one is my favorite
Love this one. The third eye is the Christ center? Haven't heard of that before(Christ center), can you explain a bit more? That intrigues me.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:02 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Question Ezekiel 1, anyone?

Ezekiel, where in Chapter 1 he describes his Vision of God in detail has always fascinated me. Any theories?

Ezekiel 1 New American Standard Bible

Among other things:

1 ...while I was by the river Chebar among the exiles, the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God.

4 ...a storm wind was coming from the north, a great cloud with fire flashing forth continually and a bright light around it, and in its midst something like glowing metal in the midst of the fire.

5 Within it there were figures resembling four living beings. And this was their appearance: they had human form.

7 Their legs were straight and...they gleamed like burnished bronze.

9 their wings touched one another; their faces did not turn when they moved, each went straight forward.

10 ...each had the face of a man; all four had the face of a lion on the right and the face of a bull on the left, and all four had the face of an eagle.

11 ....Their wings were spread out above; each had two touching another being, and two covering their bodies.

13 In the midst of the living beings there was something that looked like burning coals of fire, like torches darting back and forth among the living beings. The fire was bright, and lightning was flashing from the fire.

14 And the living beings ran to and fro like bolts of lightning.

15 ...there was one wheel on the earth beside the living beings, for each of the four of them.

16 The appearance of the wheels and their workmanship was like sparkling beryl, and all four of them had the same form, their appearance and workmanship being as if one wheel were within another.

18 As for their rims they were lofty and awesome, and the rims of all four of them were full of eyes round about.

19 Whenever the living beings moved, the wheels moved with them. And whenever the living beings rose from the earth, the wheels rose also.

20 ...And the wheels rose close beside them....

22 ... over the heads of the living beings there was something like an expanse, like the awesome gleam of crystal, spread out over their heads.

23 Under the expanse their wings were stretched out straight, one toward the other; each one also had two wings covering its body on the one side and on the other.

24 ...the sound of their wings like the sound of abundant waters as they went, like the voice of the Almighty, a sound of tumult like the sound of an army camp....

27 Then I noticed from the appearance of His loins and upward something like glowing metal that looked like fire all around within it, and from the appearance of His loins and downward I saw something like fire; and there was a radiance around Him.

28 As the appearance of the rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the surrounding radiance. Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell on my face and heard a voice speaking.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:11 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Love this one. The third eye is the Christ center? Haven't heard of that before(Christ center), can you explain a bit more? That intrigues me.
In simplistic terms, the inner chambers of the palace of King Soul are in the subtle centers of superconsciousness, Christ or Krishna Consciousness (Kutastha Chaitanya, or Universal Consciousness), and Cosmic Consciousness. These centers are respectively, in the medulla, fontal part of the brain between the eyebrows (seat of the single or spiritual eye) and at the top of the cerebrum (the throne of the soul, in the "thousand-petaled lotus"). In these states of consciousness, King Soul reings supreme- the pure image of God in man.

source: Amazon.com: God Talks with Arjuna: The Bhagavad Gita: Paramahansa Yogananda: Books

Now let's explain all these concepts in more detail.

In the frontal part of the brain between the eyebrows we have the Ajna chakra, this is an instrument of perception that is able to perceive the light of the kutastha (immortal, unchanging Self) it is important to stress that the ajna chakra or spiritual eye is the part of our bodies where the light of the Christ consciousness or Kutastha is received and perceived, but the ajna Charka or Christ center is only the instrument of perception and Kutastha or Christ consciousness is what it is perceived by it.

Let us examine some definitions of Kutastha to get a better feel for what it means.

Def. 1 The Kutastha is eternal and unchangeable

Def. 2 Kutastha, in philosophy, whatever is immovable, unchangeable, perpetually and universally the same; the indestructible spirit. (kuta, the summit; stha, standing: standing on the peak.)

Def. 3 Kutastha A philosophical term meaning 'holding the highest position,' hence the primordial divinity.

Def. 4. One who pervades all, supports all, and yet Himself undergoes no transformation.

"An ounce of practice is better than tons of theory".
Swami Sivananda

"What the superior man seeks is in himself. What the inferior man seeks is in others"
Confucius

Man is a microcosm of the macrocosm. The whole of the universe is reflected in its parts. Therefore, if you fully know yourself, you know the whole.

You are a spark of the Full Flame that symbolizes the One life. The spark is an embryo of the Full Flame. It has all of the components of the Full Flame but is totally unaware of its potential. The evolutionary process and spiritual practices gradually expands the consciousness until it awakens and realizes its unitary oneness with the Full Flame. It consciously knows itself to be identical in consciousness and substance with the One Life. In this state of consciousness, one becomes omniscient and omnipresent.

In the East, this stage of omniscience is known as Krishna consciousness. In the West, it is known as Christ consciousness. These are culture specific and sectarian labels which define universal states of consciousness that are beyond the cultural labels of any country or religion. A more nonsectarian or culture free way of labeling these states of consciousness is the language of the three cosmic fires, fire by friction, solar fire, and electric fire. In this classification of consciousness, Krishna/Christ consciousness is known as the union with solar fire which characterizes the quality of energy associated with the Soul, the 2nd aspect of Divinity. This aspect of Divinity has the qualities of love and wisdom. This is the stage of Self-Realization characterized by the union of the lower self with the Soul. In contrast to the human personality which has an individual consciousness, the soul has a group consciousness. So when you achieve oneness with the Self, you are also one with all who embody that state of consciousness. Thus, if your approach or is through devotion to Krishna, you may experience his form in this state, if it is through the Christ or the Bodhi Sattva, you may experience his form in this state. If your approach is purely one of energy/shakti then you may experience Krishna/Christ consciousness through the quality of perceived Light.

In an even higher stage of kriya yoga, Shiva consciousness is achieved. In the West, this is known as Cosmic consciousness or union with the Father, Will or the Life aspect of Divinity. It is union with electric fire which characterizes the quality of energy associated with the Monad (the indivisible spark of the One Life within), the 1st aspect of Divinity.

Source: What is Kriya

Old 05-10-2008, 05:44 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Mine Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have you says the Lord, they are plans for good and not for disaster, to give a future and a hope".
This verse became real to me when I got laid off my job in 2004. I believe it, and believe God allowed me lose that job for my good.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:47 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
"The Lord is my Shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake
Even though I walk through the Valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil; for Thou art with me.
Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou hast anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Psalms 23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality