Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:06 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who found it ironic that someone is asking how to become Amish on the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:35 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Am I the only one who found it ironic that someone is asking how to become Amish on the internet?
What would be strange is if someone came on here and started a thread.
“Ask an Amish”

They have developed there own computer.
The Amish Laptop - FAQ

Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Does ANYONE know of a way I can convert to either the Amish or Mennonite faith?

It seems to me that their mindset is close to my own. Not big on technology, or having "things". Self-sufficient. Deep belief in God. Both men and women RESPECT their bodies (no tattoos...or nipple rings...no miniskirts...). Just so many things about their way of life appeal to me--that I think it's a shame I wasn't BORN into one of those religions.
There's some here......I'm sure they can answer your question.

Will probably do it via DM, but I can just about guarantee you will get a response from one (if you haven't already)

Old 05-12-2008, 01:54 PM

Oh, I did find some other sites not just that silly one I posted above about the Amish computer.

The Mennonites have a website. Mennonite Church USA
Seems like joining the Mennonites would be a good transition to becoming Amish.
They seem like really nice people.
More Mennonites around my neck of the woods than I though. Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends
Cool

Seems some Amish go south for the winter.
Amish and Mennonites in Saratoga Florida.
http://www.amishnews.com/amisharticles/amishinflorida.htm

Last edited by Aeroman; 05-12-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-12-2008, 01:57 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Does ANYONE know of a way I can convert to either the Amish or Mennonite faith?

It seems to me that their mindset is close to my own. Not big on technology, or having "things". Self-sufficient. Deep belief in God. Both men and women RESPECT their bodies (no tattoos...or nipple rings...no miniskirts...). Just so many things about their way of life appeal to me--that I think it's a shame I wasn't BORN into one of those religions.
My grandparents left the Old Order horse-and-buggy Amish when my mom was about 5. They left because of the lack of spiritual life... "rules & regulations".. and people who did have a new birth experience were looked at strangely and told that they had a "strange spirit".

However, not all Amish groups are the same.. some would stress more "spiritual" things.. but the bottom line is that rules and regulations never saved anyone. It might look good on the outside, but lack of possessions never made anyone humble...

Old 05-12-2008, 04:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Oh, I did find some other sites not just that silly one I posted above about the Amish computer.

The Mennonites have a website. Mennonite Church USA
Seems like joining the Mennonites would be a good transition to becoming Amish.
They seem like really nice people.
More Mennonites around my neck of the woods than I though. Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends
Cool

Seems some Amish go south for the winter.
Amish and Mennonites in Saratoga Florida.
http://www.amishnews.com/amisharticles/amishinflorida.htm
I've seen them in Arcadia, FL. The women generally cover their hair with a bonnet.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:43 PM

I was wondering how some of those Amish got down to Florida.
They must be the New Amish New Order Amis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or can the Old Amish order ride in cars but not drive or own them??

Old 05-13-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
I was wondering how some of those Amish got down to Florida.
They must be the New Amish New Order Amis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or can the Old Amish order ride in cars but not drive or own them??
For one, they can ride in cars...but I can't say how long they might have been down here.

Their ancestors might have taken a ship, or ridden a horse and buggy all the way down here.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
TKramer wrote:

It's quite possible that a lifestyle like the Amish live might really be a fulfilling way to live for you and many others. The one problem I see in that society would be if a young person who was born into an Amish family but didn't fit in and wanted to become a part of the modern world. I think they would probably have to break off ties to their family which would be a very traumatic thing to do.
I remember something about a reality TV program with people who professed to be Amish. I have also heard, at a certain age, young people go out into the world for a year or two...at the end of the prescribed time, they have a choice to make: stay in the "world" or return to the "fold". Most return.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:43 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,609 times
Quote:
Thats the first thing that came to my mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality