Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 12:19 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Nothing wrong with making up once mind. The point is that the comment offers no points to discuss. In this case, no more to discuss if that is all he replies on a point.

On the next point, I know what your are saying, but you do not prove anything. You conclude that is what happened with 10 million years. Are you 100% sure? After all, you are the one making a claim, supported with specific numbers then. Maybe you are right, just support it with data. By making a claim in the way you just did. Granted, it is a good starting point. However, just as you want theist to support claims, and yet you did not support your either. Is that not what atheist say, "show proof?" Then show it with exact data as you would expect a theist to do in support of his or her claim.

You have a great day.
elamigo
Science data, science forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 08:53 AM

884 posts, read 357,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Even when someone makes a polite suggestion, you have to fight.

Already done? Point me to where a concise list, or chart, or bulleted list is posted. I keep hearing you talk about making a list, but I have never seen that list.

What has my suggestion got to do with rebirth? Why do you drag that in?

Why can't you just start the list you keep talking about?
They are like a faulty record. Goes on and on about making lists, but never makes a list unless someone else does. Is that hypocrisy?

Old 07-15-2021, 08:59 AM

Here is a suggestion from me:

If people make claims that are a mixture of science and religion/spirituality, the two parts can be separated and questioned separately. Take the following example.

1) I say that I believe God is a monkey who controls the universe with it's fingers
2) I say that physics and biology support my claim
3) I say that my claim overall is a religious spiritual one, not a science one

Points 1) and 3) can be discussed in the religion forum. Point 2) can be discussed in the science forum if posters have a intellectual meticulousness in their arguments and only discuss point 2) in that forum. Point 2) is very clearly a science point, within an overall religious/spiritual claim.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:04 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
They are like a faulty record. Goes on and on about making lists, but never makes a list unless someone else does. Is that hypocrisy?
I'd love to see a concise list(s). It could easily be placed in the blog section where it could be referred to by anyone anytime the need arises in a discussion.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I'd love to see a concise list(s). It could easily be placed in the blog section where it could be referred to by anyone anytime the need arises in a discussion.
Indeed, if that poster makes a clear and concise blog post, I would happily respond purely to the points they make, and not make any other comments. The discussion doesn't need to have antipathy. I suggested to that poster the possibility of using blogs in the atheism forum and was accused of not wanting to discuss it - it is hard to respect a poster who says that. It is hard to respect a poster who posts blatant lies like this:

Me: I'm happy to discuss it anywhere. How about the science forum? How about blog posts?
Them: LMAO. That means you don't want to discuss it.

I remain happy to discuss it anywhere. I'm sure you and a number of other posters are the same.

Last edited by Peter600; 07-15-2021 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 11:04 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
No, I am saying that evolution has some flaws as I read about it, the same with the opposite view. However, I do lean towards evolution though. Here is another possible scenario that I have seen some Christians advocate, that God created through evolution.

You asked some very good questions. I greatly appreciate them because you push me to look further. I admit I am so busy with so many other projects. But I will consider your questions. I have preliminary answers via some YouTube videos though. I past one of the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noj4phMT9OE
In this video he raises good questions. This guy is no lightweight. He has written some interesting books in defense of creation. However, despite of his claims, I do lean towards evolutions but with some questions though.

I do have a video series from his entitled "Does God Exist?" What I like about this videos is that he does not make a 100% statement that God exists. He is a Christian, but he states that he believe is the best option for him based on his research. I recommend you see it. I like to read sources from both sides just as I tell my students. It is easy to look for sources that support our own views, but it is more difficult to go and look for sources that explain the opposite points.

Take a look at Dr. Stephen Myers videos and books. He present some good point that answer your questions. I am not knowledgeable enough in the area of science though for me to replicate what he explains, but I understand enough to think that his points have validity.

The one point that comes to my mind is the Cambrian explosion. If evolution is a gradual process, how come in the archeological record life forms suddenly appeared? Look at a video entitled "Darwin's Dilemma."

There are other articles on the Cambrian explosion.

I also, bring back what I mention in some other forum discussing the same topic. If you look closely at the Bible account in Genesis, God created things on earth in a sequence that matches evolution. Is that not interesting?

I want to thank you for the way you have discussed the topic with me.

You have a great day.
elamigo (yes, it means "the friend.")
You "lean" towards evolution? Does this mean you don't accept the theory of evolution, like say we do the theory of gravity?

Glad we both appreciate a discussion that doesn't include so much of the childish nonsense so typically littered in these threads. Unfortunately, I'm already out of time today before catching up with the rest of this thread. Maybe I'll be better able to spend the time tomorrow.

You have a great day too. (Yes, I know what el amigo means. I'm bilingual, English/Spanish).

Old 07-16-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Indeed, if that poster makes a clear and concise blog post, I would happily respond purely to the points they make, and not make any other comments. The discussion doesn't need to have antipathy. I suggested to that poster the possibility of using blogs in the atheism forum and was accused of not wanting to discuss it - it is hard to respect a poster who says that. It is hard to respect a poster who posts blatant lies like this:

Me: I'm happy to discuss it anywhere. How about the science forum? How about blog posts?
Them: LMAO. That means you don't want to discuss it.

I remain happy to discuss it anywhere. I'm sure you and a number of other posters are the same.
That's me too...

Old 07-16-2021, 04:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Even when someone makes a polite suggestion, you have to fight.

Already done? Point me to where a concise list, or chart, or bulleted list is posted. I keep hearing you talk about making a list, but I have never seen that list.

What has my suggestion got to do with rebirth? Why do you drag that in?

Why can't you just start the list you keep talking about?
Now you are just dishonest phet. I do list all the time. in fact recently I did. I forget where and I am not going back. You keep an eye out ... I will again soon.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 07-16-2021 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-16-2021, 10:04 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Now you are just dishonest phet. I do list all the time. in fact recently I did. I forget where and I am not going back. You keep an eye out ... I will again soon.
I think you need to label your next list a list so that we don't all miss it. Again.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I think you need to label your next list a list so that we don't all miss it. Again.
If you are going to ask for a list, perhaps in this thread it would be most appropriate to request a list of examples that demonstrate how science and religion is a recognized field of study...

Bonus points for how that field of study has furthered our understanding of both.

"Most scientists have rejected creation science for several reasons, including that its claims do not refer to natural causes and cannot be tested. In 1987, the United States Supreme Court ruled that creationism is religion, not science, and cannot be advocated in public school classrooms."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality