Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 06:19 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
hey, how about that ...

Buddhism is way to self centered for me. We need others, and it just may be more than a teacher or two.
Good. I have no desire for you to be involved in Buddhism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 06:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Good. I have no desire for you to be involved in Buddhism.
lmao ... you have nothing to bring phet. As soon as the great phet is challenged ... he disengages.

Thats a sure sign of a religionist. Protect the religion at all cost!! learning and adapting is secondary.

thank you for the real time example.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:25 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
hey, how about that ...

Buddhism is way too self centered for me. We need others, and it just may be more than a teacher or two.

It is always good to have a dedicated friend on your journey
But, if you can't find one
Continue on your own
Like a mighty elephant,

Prowling through the jungle.

Buddha.

Again, only YOU can help your-Self. NO ONE ELSE can.

You are now in control of your life. You see, the ego is never in control. The ego is controlled by wishes for comfort and convenience on the part of the body, by demands of the mind, and by outbursts of the emotions. But the higher nature controls the body and the mind and the emotions. I can say to my body, "Lie down there on that cement floor and go to sleep," and it obeys. I can say to my mind, "Shut out everything else and concentrate on this job before you," and it's obedient. I can say to my emotions, "Be still, even in the face of this terrible situation," and they are still. It's a different way of living. The philosopher Thoreau wrote: If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps he hears a different drummer. And now you are following a different drummer--the higher nature instead of the lower. - Peace Pilgrim

Old 07-03-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Continue on your own
Like a mighty elephant,

Buddha.

You are now in control of your life. You see, the ego is never in control. The ego is controlled by wishes for comfort and convenience on the part of the body, by demands of the mind, and by outbursts of the emotions. But the higher nature controls the body and the mind and the emotions. I can say to my body, "Lie down there on that cement floor and go to sleep," and it obeys. I can say to my mind, "Shut out everything else and concentrate on this job before you," and it's obedient. I can say to my emotions, "Be still, even in the face of this terrible situation," and they are still. It's a different way of living. The philosopher Thoreau wrote: If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps he hears a different drummer. And now you are following a different drummer--the higher nature instead of the lower. - Peace Pilgrim
Good post.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Continue on your own
Like a mighty elephant,

Buddha.

Its all true ... so how can we tell ... how can we tell if a what we believe is reliable? I believe, avoiding those that question us is the worst position to take. That doesn't mean avoid some needless contacts. But it does mean rigorous self honesty.

For example myself. Why would I go into an echo chamber? I come here. I go to the worst of the worst and see if what I think can hold up from all angles. I look where what I say doesn't hold up. I adjust as needed.

That's the elephant.

"self" is taken to far in Buddhism to me, as "not self" is taken to far with Jesus. To me, When is "I walk alone" avoidance and not understanding.

There is the balance. Its not compromise, its focusing.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:55 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Arch, It is VERY easy. So easy, you will never believe me. Or, for that matter, Buddha Himself, as he said that.

Not verbatim, but it goes like this:

Listen to no one. Don't listen to your elders. Don't listen to your sages. Don't even listen to me. Listen ONLY to your voice of common sense.

In other words, listen to your heart. If it is touched on the first glance, word, contact, etc - this is what you listen to. Like my entire life and worldview was changed by some 60 pages in, pretty much, a cheap catered for crowds book - What Dreams May Come by Matheson. Put me on the right course in my search - and fruits were great and fulfilling.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Arch, It is VERY easy. So easy, you will never believe me. Or, for that matter, Buddha Himself, as he said that.

Listen to no one. Don't listen to your elders. Don't listen to your sages. Don't even listen to me. Listen ONLY to your voice of common sense.

In other words, listen to your heart. If it is touched on the first glance, word, contact, etc - this is what you listen to. Like my entire life and worldview was changed by some 60 pages in, pretty much, a cheap catered for crowds book - What Dreams May Come by Matheson. Put me on the right course in my search - and fruits were great and fulfilling.
That is an awfully big paraphrase. But I fully agree with you that things are up to the individual. The problem is that some people misread what they "hear".

Old 07-03-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:

yes, I understand. And in part is its true. Its an eb and a flow.

It base is too far to me. There needs to be a cross check. to reduce error and bias where possible. And when rational people meet, that "zone" becomes less precise. That zone, where two rational people meet is where we have multiple options. There is no one path in that place.

The issue is when irrational people are in the discussion. How do we know if its them or us that is mis-aligned. Out of spec and how do we recalibrate.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That is an awfully big paraphrase. But I fully agree with you that things are up to the individual. The problem is that some people misread what they "hear".
Yeah ... when I close my eyes and listen ... you sound exactly like a jesus follower.

religion-ist.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
Well, if you ask me--though no one did--every variety of religion is a primitive attempt to make sense of the universe and our place in it. Science does a much better job. Religious people always seem slightly stupid to me, and self-deceiving.

If Buddhism seems the least stupid of the lot, it's because it's so nebulous you can hang just about anything on it and it feels like it kind of makes sense. Almost. But not really. Culturally, the environment where I live is mostly religious but it's possible to ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality