Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 11:40 PM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I did not "admit" to anything....or ever "ignore" anything. That is just more of your usual lies.
Let us see.

Quote:
I really don't see Atheists with the "courage of conviction" (for right/wrong...good/bad...or otherwise) of many Fundie Religious.
For example: Many Atheists here go on and on about "The harm of Religion"...oft noting "flying planes into buildings", "The Inquisition and many wars fought over Religion", "suicide bombers", etc. And though I challenge them to go to where the current bulk of this "Religious harm" comes from (such as Afghanistan), and say exactly what they say on this board to them...
You admitting the harm of fundamentalist religion, but ...

Quote:
I doubt many ever would.
You would rarely see an Atheist be willing to lay it all on the line strictly in defense and support of the concept of Atheism.
You say you dig Bill Maher...remember when he said this?:
https://youtu.be/JhZNqtJVBy0
I don't think that they did that strictly for Religious reasons...but many do.
Could you get Atheists to lay it all on the line like that for "Atheism"...if any, it's just a handful.
... then attacking atheism.

You and the iliterati do not get to call others liars, and then repeat this lie:

Quote:
Currently, NonReligious are holding over a million Religious people in concentration camps...because of their Religious Beliefs. There is no comparable persecution conversely.
We have explained your cüm hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy and straw man before (and for the illiterate mythomaniac, yes, it IS a straw man, they are NOT being held because of their religious beliefs), yet you insist on repeating it just to get a response. What sort of a head trip must you be on to once again mock and attack people who simply do not believe, and think religious bigotry and terrorism is wrong?

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 06-11-2021 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
LOL! That's right.

Instead of following ONE book, you have many buildings FILLED with books about the laws you're supposed to be following, and the penalties of "damnation" if you don't.
That is true for people, not just atheists. And you probably follow those laws more than those in your one book, because they are better than the laws in your one book.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:00 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Actually, the flood is mentioned in pretty much every ancient religious text you can find, and there is actual archeological evidence to suggest that the flood did indeed happen. So yeah...there's that. You don't have to be religious or believe in a creator to realize that often where there is smoke, there is fire. So when you have an event that is recorded in so many ancient texts, there just may be some truth to the story even if it wasn't an event that was a direct judgement from God against humanity.

Also, I always like to ask people who are so against "creationism" just what it is about "evolution" or the "big bang" that they find so much more believable. On one side, you have people who believe in a creator, who built heaven and earth. On the other, you have people who believe that essentially all creation was just a fluke. Chance dictated that all we know would exist. An explosion in space started it all. Also, a "theory" mind you. So yeah, just curious how one picks one fantastical idea over another and simply calls that theory "the truth". I mean, I know how creationists feel about it. They have "faith" in their God. But as for the "big bangers" out there, there's nothing to have faith in. Everything just happened dude, and when we die that's it. That's the gist of it from most non-believers. So what's your take on it all Salty? I myself don't have a damn clue. I grew up Baptist, but now I don't know what I believe. I don't believe we were all created from a super dense dust cloud though. Maybe aliens????
Never have I seen any evidence of a global flood as mentioned in the bible. None. All that have been presented as such, have been quickly debunked, including Mt. Ararat.

People say that the Universe couldn't just be, it had to be created, by god. I ask them, okay, since something can't just exist without being created, who created god, and they suddenly change the rules - a CERTAIN sign it is all make-believe.

I don't' think there is anything about the existence of the Universe and life etc., that is fantastical. It is just fact.

I subscribe to the theory that the big bang is just the latest ban, as the un\vderse expands upon a bang, expands, the slows, then contracts, and then near the point of total collapse, bangs again.

I just ask a simple question, where is the evidence to support "god" theory, and all I EVER get is crickets. Do you, by chance, have any? I mean real evidence, verifiable evidence.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Yes, the tiresome argument that X% of the world's people ("including the world's greatest thinkers!") believed something at one point in time... tossed out as if that is evidence, and all the evidence needed... ignores the obvious. That a great many people ("including the world's greatest thinkers!") have been wrong about a great number of things over long periods of history. It is an argument hardly worth refuting, because it is not worth making in the first place.

That observation is then countered with "Well it was Science that got those things wrong" (so there!). Further ignoring that Science (or more accurately, the tools of science as they have been applied over that past few hundred years) is the reason we now know better, and that science is intended to be self-correcting as new information becomes available.

With regard to this particular "something" believed by 9 out of 10, that also ignores the reality that no 2 of those 9 are likely to share an identical picture, understanding or concept of that belief. Which ought to tell us something right there?
Yes, it is misrepresenting the many different beliefs as if they are one. And when one points out why people follow false beliefs (such as cognitive bias) Pyrite childishly asserts we are the ones who suffer from cognitive bias, because he is only fishing for responses. And a good way to do that is to lie about people so that they have to defend themselves.

And he never addresses any posts, he just repeats his usual garbage as if that addresses the post, because attacking atheists for posting is far more important to him than attacking religious people for killing others in the name of religion.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
I find myself having to issue another MC (Massive Correction).

It is NOT, as far as I am concerned (and most other atheists, I'll wager), about stopping religion.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
You think "Thou shall not kill" is obsolete?
You think "Thou shall not kill" is evidence for a god?

Old 06-12-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Actually, the flood is mentioned in pretty much every ancient religious text you can find, ...
Floods, plural. For example, if the Chinese global flood story happened, then there was more than one global flood.

Quote:
... and there is actual archeological evidence to suggest that the flood did indeed happen. So yeah...there's that.
The Egyptian civilization is evidence the flood of Genesis did not happen.

Quote:
Also, I always like to ask people who are so against "creationism" just what it is about "evolution" or the "big bang" that they find so much more believable.
Evolution and the big bang have evidence. The leaders of creationism have to lie.

Quote:
On one side, you have people who believe in a creator, who built heaven and earth. On the other, you have people who believe that essentially all creation was just a fluke. Chance dictated that all we know would exist. An explosion in space started it all. Also, a "theory" mind you.
Yes, a theory. Creationism is not even a theory.

Quote:
So yeah, just curious how one picks one fantastical idea over another and simply calls that theory "the truth". I mean, I know how creationists feel about it. They have "faith" in their God. But as for the "big bangers" out there, there's nothing to have faith in. Everything just happened dude, and when we die that's it. That's the gist of it from most non-believers. So what's your take on it all Salty? I myself don't have a damn clue. I grew up Baptist, but now I don't know what I believe. I don't believe we were all created from a super dense dust cloud though. Maybe aliens????
Except aliens does not answer the question, as the original aliens must have come from somewhere. Did a god create them, or did they also evolve?

We can discuss the actual science in the science section, where honest people dare to go.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 06-12-2021 at 04:10 AM..

Old 06-12-2021, 03:38 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Actually, the flood is mentioned in pretty much every ancient religious text you can find, and there is actual archeological evidence to suggest that the flood did indeed happen. So yeah...there's that. You don't have to be religious or believe in a creator to realize that often where there is smoke, there is fire. So when you have an event that is recorded in so many ancient texts, there just may be some truth to the story even if it wasn't an event that was a direct judgement from God against humanity.

Also, I always like to ask people who are so against "creationism" just what it is about "evolution" or the "big bang" that they find so much more believable. On one side, you have people who believe in a creator, who built heaven and earth. On the other, you have people who believe that essentially all creation was just a fluke. Chance dictated that all we know would exist. An explosion in space started it all. Also, a "theory" mind you. So yeah, just curious how one picks one fantastical idea over another and simply calls that theory "the truth". I mean, I know how creationists feel about it. They have "faith" in their God. But as for the "big bangers" out there, there's nothing to have faith in. Everything just happened dude, and when we die that's it. That's the gist of it from most non-believers. So what's your take on it all Salty? I myself don't have a damn clue. I grew up Baptist, but now I don't know what I believe. I don't believe we were all created from a super dense dust cloud though. Maybe aliens????
lets see, most humans lived by water, for obvious reasons. The flood I remember is the Mississippi flood in the nineties. I see that flood, being handed down generations, in the mind set of "My flood is bigger than your flood" to take on a universal event.

the big bang doesn't say "no god or gods of any type", the big bang points to you guys having how your god created the universe wrong.

talk to somebody that understands how and why we think that it looks like a big bang. please talk to somebody you trust in science. If your god created the universe then it looks like he did it with the big bang.

anybody that says science disproves all gods has no idea what they are talking about. Thats why some atheist avoid using science to talk about beliefs. They know it doesn't. They whip out things like "strawman". Science asks "what traits are we talking about".

Old 06-12-2021, 03:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Humankind has been around with God Belief and Religion a lot longer that has with technology of any degree.
If we needed "scientific" & "technical" knowledge so much...we would have never survived.
"scientific" & "technical" knowledge has been around from the first even though it wasn't called by any names.
When, for instance, certain plants were eaten and members of a tribe got sick or died, further experiences proved whether or not they shouldn't be eaten.
Striking two certain objects against each other produced sparks/fire.
Lightning can strike you dead so take shelter.
Trial/error conclusion/result from which others learn....that is science.
Believe me, "science" preceded religion by a long shot

Old 06-12-2021, 03:50 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
I find myself having to issue another MC (Massive Correction).

It is NOT, as far as I am concerned (and most other atheists, I'll wager), about stopping religion. I will give you some benefit or some doubt, and assume you are speaking about only yourself when you penned that gem. and it certainly is NOT about me, as I have told the forum on several occasions, that my debate here in this forum represents the entire range of my activity on this subject, and I have never recommended stopping religion or even such things as removing "In God we Trust" from the coin of the realm. I understand most Americans are Kool-Aid drinkers, and let it go at that. Most of them need it, anyway.
Again, I only look at what your actual claim is and how it compares to observation. I don't focus on you saying a few time that you are not stopping religion. The you proceed to bash any and every belief you don't like. even when you clearly don;t even know if you should fill or wipe a hole in the ground.

I look at how you are approaching your beliefs and I use them to find any errors in my beliefs. I think thats where we differ the most.

You are so irrational in your beliefs (outside of deity and stop religion) that I can only assume that you are running on blind faith.

Otherwise starting all these conversation with "your wrong" is no ware need as reliable as "we are a more complex system than humans, tell me what you think it is so I can compare (maybe even learn) it to what I think and others think."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality