Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2021, 10:19 PM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Even if he didn't have the right...he believes what he does, and considers it truth. So...that's that.
No, because when you post in a forum you are inviting responses. You don't get to state what your believe and then add, 'and you all shut up'. If I say something here about Buddhism, it is perfectly acceptable for people to state alternative opinions or ask questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 10:33 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Again...It's truth/facts to him.
You can say whatever your take on it is (even make the typical "prove it" demands)...but that will mean squat to him, and Allah will still be the "right" God for him.
You are introducing competing concepts here. Someone believing something so strongly that it rises to the level of personal truth does not make it a fact. This truth/fact thing you are doing is just wrong. A person cannot have personal facts. Factual things are verifiable and so the person's belief could exist anywhere on the fact scale from completely false to completely correct. As far as the "right" God for him; that's an entirely different discussion. I've noticed these appeals to emotion before when facts are brought up.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the likelihood of a sentient creator is close to nill. That's my opinion. I wouldn't even call it a personal truth let alone a fact.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:37 PM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You are introducing competing concepts here. Someone believing something so strongly that it rises to the level of personal truth does not make it a fact. This truth/fact thing you are doing is just wrong. A person cannot have personal facts. Factual things are verifiable and so the person's belief could exist anywhere on the fact scale from completely false to completely correct. As far as the "right" God for him; that's an entirely different discussion. I've noticed these appeals to emotion before when facts are brought up.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the likelihood of a sentient creator is close to nill. That's my opinion. I wouldn't even call it a personal truth let alone a fact.
I agree. Buddhism is the 'right' religion for me. But I don't say that Buddhism is the 'right religion'. And the principles brought up in Buddhist scripture are to be debated within oneself or with others.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:59 PM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It may not 'need to be facts'.

Phetaroi was simply responding to someone that claimed things as facts, that were not facts.

You can have you own opinions.
You can have your own beliefs.
You can't have your own facts.
I guess GldnRle did not understand the obvious.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:08 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I guess GldnRle did not understand the obvious.
It's kinda Gldn's MO to distort the meaning of words until they become meaningless.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:42 AM

2,777 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. Buddhism is the 'right' religion for me. But I don't say that Buddhism is the 'right religion'. And the principles brought up in Buddhist scripture are to be debated within oneself or with others.
The end result of religion is Paradise or Hell

it is not something like this religion is good for me and I like it and I will choose it and apply it.

if some one his goal to go to America and he need visa
but he does not like the rules of the American embassy but for example he likes the rules of the British or the French
that will not make him enter America.

The Action must be right for right end result.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:46 AM

2,777 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
If god does actually exist,
yes does actually exist

Quote:
the type of god it is,
as described in the Final Holy Book

Quote:
Maybe the Native Americans had it right and there are many gods; of thunder, music, fire, wind and so on.
Many cultures in history have been similarly polytheistic.
So why nail your mast to believing in one type of god, that could be the wrong one?
verify their source of knowledge

Quote:
I'm curious if any of you ever question the type of god you believe in?
the main thing is he is the one who caused me to exist
I am his slave
I have to worship him and obey him
I will return to him and every one else regardless of their choice
and the result will be Paradise or Hell
and those who believed in him the right way are the lucky one.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:54 AM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
yes does actually exist
No it doesn't actually exist.
See how two can play at that game.?

Quote:
Just because something is written in a book, doesn't make it true.

Quote:
verify their source of knowledge
Beliefs are not knowledge.

Quote:
the main thing is he is the one who caused me to exist
I am his slave
I have to worship him and obey him
I will return to him and every one else regardless of their choice
and the result will be Paradise or Hell
and those who believed in him the right way are the lucky one.
That's your belief and that's fine. I have no problem with whatever you believe.

You, like an ealier poster, are not making any attempt to respond to the OP.

As a reminder, this thread is:
What if you believe in the wrong god? Does it matter?
And in the opening I suggested that everyone has made a choice or personal interpretation about the type of god they believe in.
It was even acknowledged by many believers that everyone believes in a different god.

So to make this a bit clearer for you, I suggest to you that the god you believe in is your own personal interpretation of things you have read. Your interpretation will be different than other peoples interpretation.
So my question then is, what if you are getting it wrong, does it matter to you?

It's quite a simple question really.

Probably I'm guessing it doesn't matter to you because by your responses so far, you seem unwilling to question anything.

And if that's the case there's no further discussion and I thank you for your time.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:26 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I love grapes. That is my fact and i own it.
Yes, and good for you...

Good as well that you don't insist everyone should love grapes, because you love grapes. Another fact perhaps worth considering, regardless what anyone might personally love (or believe).

Can't help but add that grapes exist. Also a fact. One we can all verify with ease. Not true with other "facts" that people want to label as "facts" that really are not facts at all.

Some people will insist on labeling fiction as fact anyway. This too is also a fact.

Where do these facts leave us?

Somewhere there between truth and fiction I think. Right back to the first of my Ten Truths...

Old 09-16-2021, 10:41 AM

15,970 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes, and good for you...

Good as well that you don't insist everyone should love grapes, because you love grapes. Another fact perhaps worth considering, regardless what anyone might personally love (or believe).

Can't help but add that grapes exist. Also a fact. One we can all verify with ease. Not true with other "facts" that people want to label as "facts" that really are not facts at all.

Some people will insist on labeling fiction as fact anyway. This too is also a fact.

Where do these facts leave us?

Somewhere there between truth and fiction I think. Right back to the first of my Ten Truths...

It is not all that mysterious. Really.

That I love grapes is a fact for me. That is it. It does not matter if it convinces anyone.

If someone want to fight me on that have at it (Biden, bless his heart.)

It makes no difference whether you are convinced or not. Throwing a tantrum over facts can only get you so far, it will not yield any result. It still remains a fact.
Spiritual belief is the same. Those who post here, like TT, are not calling on you to believe it. He is stating what is a fact for him - the fact that he believes what the Qran says. And he is addressing the OP. It matters to him what he believes.
If you dont like the answers don't post questions, and then throw tantrums. Very unbecoming.

The answers will ALWAYS be about spirituality and religious belief. It is exactly like the fact that I love grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality