Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 07:16 AM

15,974 posts, read 7,036,148 times

Advertisements

I think forgiving is a word fraught with different meaning and misunderstanding. If you look at the etymology of the word it means several things, like repay a debt, and essentially To Give. To To give what? Importantly the giving comes from oneself.
It can mean to give up, like give up grievances, the desire to exact revenge, grudges, of having been wronged.
Modern medicine treats forgiving as an important step towards healing both physical and emotional pain.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...s/art-20047692
One of the problems, I believe, is that forgiveness is so tightly tied in with Biblical connotations, “because Jesus said.”
Eastern religions don’t even have a word for forgiveness. The closest word in Sanskrit for instance is kshama. It means several things - endure, suffer, and be at peace, calm in balance. So when one asks for kshama, one is also wishing the other to be calm, be at peace, and forgive my mistake.
Altogether the meaning for forgiveness is somewhat elusive and, i think, different from what most people think. The Biblical connection makes it an obligation to forgive once someone asks for forgiveness. That makes it hard because you are asked to give something precious to someone who hurt you, to make [i]them [i] feel better.
The point is forgiving is cleansing oneself of the hurt and grudge that we bear, the unjustified wrongs we were made to suffer. It also means to endure the suffering caused by someone else. This is somewhat easier if you believe, as many do, that our inner self, the true self, never suffers, it is always at peace, that is its very nature. It is our mind, body, ego that suffers. You dont give away anything when you forgive, you relieve yourself from pain
What do you think suffering means? How do you think this suffering caused by other can be rectified so it brings us peace? What do you think forgiveness mean? Do you agree with Mayo Clinic when it says healing begins with us, not by an outside agent?, and forgiving and letting go is an important process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 09:31 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I think forgiving is a word fraught with different meaning and misunderstanding. If you look at the etymology of the word it means several things, like repay a debt, and essentially To Give. To To give what? Importantly the giving comes from oneself.
It can mean to give up, like give up grievances, the desire to exact revenge, grudges, of having been wronged.
Modern medicine treats forgiving as an important step towards healing both physical and emotional pain.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...s/art-20047692
One of the problems, I believe, is that forgiveness is so tightly tied in with Biblical connotations, “because Jesus said.”
Eastern religions don’t even have a word for forgiveness. The closest word in Sanskrit for instance is kshama. It means several things - endure, suffer, and be at peace, calm in balance. So when one asks for kshama, one is also wishing the other to be calm, be at peace, and forgive my mistake.
Altogether the meaning for forgiveness is somewhat elusive and, i think, different from what most people think. The Biblical connection makes it an obligation to forgive once someone asks for forgiveness. That makes it hard because you are asked to give something precious to someone who hurt you, to make [i]them [i] feel better.
The point is forgiving is cleansing oneself of the hurt and grudge that we bear, the unjustified wrongs we were made to suffer. It also means to endure the suffering caused by someone else. This is somewhat easier if you believe, as many do, that our inner self, the true self, never suffers, it is always at peace, that is its very nature. It is our mind, body, ego that suffers. You dont give away anything when you forgive, you relieve yourself from pain
What do you think suffering means? How do you think this suffering caused by other can be rectified so it brings us peace? What do you think forgiveness mean? Do you agree with Mayo Clinic when it says healing begins with us, not by an outside agent?, and forgiving and letting go is an important process?
ให้อภัย or อภัย or อโหสิกรรม

Old 11-19-2021, 09:40 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
In Catholicism, suffering is seen as an opportunity.

It allows us to share in the redemptive sufferings of Christ by following His example and suffering in solidarity with Him. When we humbly submit to the will of God and accept our sufferings with joy, then we can be redeemed and saved.

When someone wrongs us and suffering comes because of it, we ought to be thankful to God that He has given us an opportunity to suffer. Withholding forgiveness from the one who has wronged us is equivalent to rejecting a gift that God has offered to us.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

It allows us to share in the redemptive sufferings of Christ by following His example and suffering in solidarity with Him. When we humbly submit to the will of God and accept our sufferings with joy, then we can be redeemed and saved.

When someone wrongs us and suffering comes because of it, we ought to be thankful to God that He has given us an opportunity to suffer. Withholding forgiveness from the one who has wronged us is equivalent to rejecting a gift that God has offered to us.
I hope we atheists can contribute to that need.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:19 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

ให้อภัย or อภัย or อโหสิกรรม
Please post this in English.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:25 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It is Thai for "Forgive or Forgive or Forgive" Phet was trying to show that there are Eastern words for Forgive.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I can't. Those are Thai words that mean forgiveness or a synonym. The OP said there were none in Asia.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Suffering has a place similar to that in most religions. Suffering is interpreted in Vedanta texts as a chance to work out one’s negative karma, your suffering jus paid off one karma. Forgiveness as canceling a debt seems appropriate in that context. Forbearance with patience is one of the qualities to qualify for moksha, for Realization. Fasting rituals are kind of ritual suffering.
Just as suffering is ours, forgiving is ours as well, and personal.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:35 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
There is story about two bhikkus.
On their path, they encountered a river with a shallow ford.

A woman was standing there, scared to cross the river.
One of the bhikkus offered woman his help and carried her across the water on his back.
After crossing, they parted their ways and bhikkus continued, in silence.
Monk, that didn't help the woman, slowly became more and mre agitated and, finally burst at his companion: How could you! You know, we, bhikkus, are not allowed to touch a woman!"
To what his companion calmly said - Brother, I left that woman on the bank of that river. You - you are still carrying her.

In relevance to this thread.
One, that does not have a burden, has nothing to rid of.

One, that does not carry offense, has nothing to forgive.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is story about two bhikkus.
On their path, they encountered a river with a shallow ford.

A woman was standing there, scared to cross the river.
One of the bhikkus offered woman his help and carried her across the water on his back.
After crossing, they parted their ways and bhikkus continued, in silence.
Monk, that didn't help the woman, slowly became more and mre agitated and, finally burst at his companion: How could you! You know, we, bhikkus, are not allowed to touch a woman!"
To what his companion calmly said - Brother, I left that woman on the bank of that river. You - you are still carrying her.

In relevance to this thread.
One, that does not have a burden, has nothing to rid of.

One, that does not carry offense, has nothing to forgive.
Good one, Ukrkoz.
Quote:
To give what? Importantly the giving comes from oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality