Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2021, 10:01 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
God doesn't belong to any religion.
"Holy books" are written by scribes, not literary agents of the Almighty.
Their interpretations of the preachings of holy men are often skewed by their own flawed understanding.
Thus reading scripture is like playing "Chinese Telephone."
What was originally taught and what is eventually dogma are often widely divergent.
But that shouldn't stop one from loving their particular deity and their neighbor.

Of course, if one is a predator, under the law of the jungle, predators are "good" and prey are "good to eat". Prey who fight back are "bad."

Thus one should check scriptures and the behavior of adherents to see if they are really predators or harmless prey.
IMHO, civilizations that embrace the law of love survive longer than those that embrace the law of the jungle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 08:24 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,012,619 times
No I don’t believe so.
If I was living on North Sentinel Island, the Christian God has never appeared.
The Word is not being taught, so how can you reject it?

Old 11-04-2021, 08:41 PM

Default What if you believe in the wrong god? Does it matter?

No. There is only one God. There would have to be more than one for it to matter. Now if you believe the wrong things ABOUT what God wants from us, then you may have a problem.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:31 AM

1,014 posts, read 482,565 times
What do you mean? You mean you'd like to believe in the God of the earth? They mentioned that there is only one God. Some go with the bible. King James bible.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:05 AM

299 posts, read 104,679 times
Does it matter if you believe in the wrong god? Rather than answer, I have to reject the premise. There is no such thing as a wrong God.

God is God. Whether you call him Yahweh, Quetelcoatl, Wakan Tanka, Baal or Brahman depends entirely on where you are in history, in geography and in spiritual development - but it's still God. The sincere Muslim who yearns for union with his creator Allah is my brother, and God has no trouble at all relating to my brother in Muslim terms. God inspires people of every culture, so every culture has it's own religious texts and ways of conceptualizing God.

True religious understanding may be found anywhere in world religion, under the loving guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:37 AM

29,558 posts, read 9,774,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Does it matter if you believe in the wrong god? Rather than answer, I have to reject the premise. There is no such thing as a wrong God.

God is God. Whether you call him Yahweh, Quetelcoatl, Wakan Tanka, Baal or Brahman depends entirely on where you are in history, in geography and in spiritual development - but it's still God. The sincere Muslim who yearns for union with his creator Allah is my brother, and God has no trouble at all relating to my brother in Muslim terms. God inspires people of every culture, so every culture has it's own religious texts and ways of conceptualizing God.

True religious understanding may be found anywhere in world religion, under the loving guidance of the Holy Spirit.
What matters is what you believe about God. This rather than a right or wrong god...

I often like to mention the importance of reading history when it comes to this subject, because there is so much well documented history about what we humans have done as a result of our different beliefs about God. In particular what God wants, going back to the days when thousands believed God wanted human sacrifices.

One might call this believing in the wrong God, and for me that's not it either, because I'm an atheist, but to the question of what matters; what matters is what people do as a result of their beliefs. This tends to matter a great deal. I mean imagine for example if you happened to be one of those "lucky" chosen ones to be sacrificed to God!

Still today what matters and matters a lot is what people are doing because of what they believe about God. No matter what anyone calls their god. No matter in deed!

Old 11-05-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No. There is only one God. There would have to be more than one for it to matter. Now if you believe the wrong things ABOUT what God wants from us, then you may have a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What matters is what you believe about God. This rather than a right or wrong god...

I often like to mention the importance of reading history when it comes to this subject, because there is so much well documented history about what we humans have done as a result of our different beliefs about God. In particular what God wants, going back to the days when thousands believed God wanted human sacrifices.

One might call this believing in the wrong God, and for me that's not it either, because I'm an atheist, but to the question of what matters; what matters is what people do as a result of their beliefs. This tends to matter a great deal. I mean imagine for example if you happened to be one of those "lucky" chosen ones to be sacrificed to God!

Still today what matters and matters a lot is what people are doing because of what they believe about God. No matter what anyone calls their god. No matter in deed!
It would seem that we are on the same page at least with regard to this particular iissue.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:11 AM

29,558 posts, read 9,774,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It would seem that we are on the same page at least with regard to this particular iissue.
Yes. So it would seem, but it also seems we're not on the same page that comes just before a belief in God...

Old 11-09-2021, 06:17 PM

23,240 posts, read 10,522,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post

Yeah, under the loving guidance of the holy spirit.

Are you talking about a gift given to members of Judaism?

The disciples were in prayer counting the omer when Jesus came to.them, Jesus came to.them warning them to stay in prayer counting the omer right up unto the promise of the appointed spiritual rain for those in Judaism.

Is it your claim that you have a spirit given to members who keep Shavuot?

How is it.that so many millions of people claim the power of the holy spirit when none of them are even in.the same.religion Jesus.practiced?

How is it that you and millions of others are so at ease claiming to have the power of the holy spirit when you have no power to do anything, and the power you speak of having is from a religion YOU AINT IN?

Tell me how that works?
What?

You hear some voice in your head so it must be a holy spirit given in Shavuot, a spirit from a Jewish feast from a religion you reject?

Yea, you got the holy spirit.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:59 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,968,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It's been a long time since I have started a thread, but this thought just occurred to me.

It seems to me that everyone who believes in a god in the western world, in their adult life at least, has made some sort of choice about the kind of god they believe in.
For example, many people these days reject the judgemental, vengeful god as found in the old testament and opt for a more 'god is love' type of god. Why?

If god does actually exist, the type of god it is, wouldn't be a matter of choice.
So you could very possibly be believing in the wrong type of god.

Maybe the Native Americans had it right and there are many gods; of thunder, music, fire, wind and so on.
Many cultures in history have been similarly polytheistic.
So why nail your mast to believing in one type of god, that could be the wrong one?

I'm curious if any of you ever question the type of god you believe in?

Does it even matter? None of us know, so in that sense we are all agnostic.

And if it doesn't matter, why does everyone defend their belief so stridently?

Your thoughts.

You've heard all sorts of different opinions. One thing you might have noticed: there's no continuity between them. That's because ultimately each person here is reasoning from the depths of their own intellect about God and so everything you hear is subjective opinion about how they personally believe God operates. It all has nothing to do with how the real God conducts affairs down here, if at all. Each person invents their own God in their mind and believes their God's way of doing things is correct and anyone who diverges from their preconceived notions about God is wrong, hence all the disagreement about prayer, about how we're to approach God, how to worship him, how to interpret scripture, etc. Watch carefully now with new insights into how each person responds to their neighbor and note the chaos among them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality